Why become a member? ×

Vintage with a 100w valve head?

Roland Rock

[quote name='Merton' post='1071272' date='Dec 28 2010, 09:09 PM']Have Eminence got a 3015 / 3015LF equivalent in 10" diameter? I wonder if that's the sort of direct Mr Claber is heading?...[/quote]

No, totally different direction! These 10"s don't even have neo magnets, but purely because we're going for a more valve amp friendly motor, which means you can make a ferrite magnet and the resulting frame quite small and light so neo would have only marginal weight benefit and the reduced power compression from typical neo motors isn't relevant with the low power output from valve amps.

I rather like the idea that having made cabs that show little obvious colouration, Alex is now deliberately putting colouration back in as part of the design - the difference is that it's now controlled and part of the design goal, rather than by accident. Other cab manufacturers with any sense will be watching this with interest. This is audio 'painting' really, starting with a blank canvass and choosing the palette colours carefully.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='1071278' date='Dec 28 2010, 09:16 PM']No, totally different direction! These 10"s don't even have neo magnets, but purely because we're going for a more valve amp friendly motor, which means you can make a ferrite magnet and the resulting frame quite small and light so neo would have only marginal weight benefit and the reduced power compression from typical neo motors isn't relevant with the low power output from valve amps.[/quote]

Are they Jensen MOD10s? Was toying with loading my ABM 8x10 with those, but figured might as well use guitar cabs. Totally curious as to whether I was on the right track with those.

Edited by Mr. Foxen

[quote name='Salt on your Bass?' post='1078569' date='Jan 5 2011, 02:07 PM']Any word or hints on how the SuperFifteen differs from the vintage? :) I was gutted when the vintage was taken out of production, so pretty interested in its reincarnation (if thats what infact it is!!!) :)[/quote]

Different shape, basically, optimised for solid state amps (as this was how people used it) rather than valve ones. I'd guess basically, deeper narrower box.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1078612' date='Jan 5 2011, 02:34 PM']Different shape, basically, optimised for solid state amps (as this was how people used it) rather than valve ones. I'd guess basically, deeper narrower box.[/quote]

Ah, ok. thanks :) ......does that differ from 2 compacts then? I understood the vintage ended up being voiced the same as two compacts, which led to its halt in production (together with sales demand).