Why become a member? ×

The Hacienda Bass

MB1

MB1. :)
Apart from buying Bricks as keepsakes of Madchester Hacienda history, seems other parts of the building are now also surfacing for sale. It would seem that Pete Hook has found an interesting use for the Haciendas Dancefloor, hes had sections of it made into Limited Edition Semi Acoustic Basses.Not a bad idea,id rather have one of these in my front room than a brick! (possibly the only bass ive previously danced on too!).Alas not the cheapest of souvenirs for 4500 quid. Now on show at P.M.T Regent Road Salford Manchester.

Edited by MB1

[quote name='MB1' post='1066001' date='Dec 21 2010, 06:33 PM']MB1. :)
Apart from buying Bricks as keepsakes of Madchester Hacienda history, seems other parts of the building are now also surfacing for sale. It would seem that Pete Hook has found an interesting use for the Haciendas Dancefloor, hes had sections of it made into Limited Edition Semi Acoustic Basses.Not a bad idea,id rather have one of these in my front room than a brick! (possibly the only bass ive previously danced on too!).Alas not the cheapest of souvenirs for 4500 quid. Now on show at P.M.T Regent Road Salford Manchester.[/quote]

For 4 and a half grand I would expect the headstock to have at least looked like it had been designed...

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' post='1066086' date='Dec 21 2010, 08:01 PM']For 4 and a half grand I would expect the headstock to have at least looked like it had been designed...[/quote]

Apparently the headstock is the shape of the original Hacienda dancefloor!
and the number on the front was the Haciendas number on Whitworth street.

Edited by MB1

[quote name='risingson' post='1066128' date='Dec 21 2010, 08:28 PM']I'd just like a piece of the Hacienda floor, forget the bass![/quote]

Oddly enough i actually have a piece of the Hacienda dancefloor! Perhaps enough to make a set of pan pipes, if you're interested?! ;-)

I also have an original (unsigned) Hac membership card, which I'm keeping in the attic for a rainy day.

Shortly after they closed the club, there was a skip outside full of loads of Factory goodies that were being slung out by the builders - I was lucky to get there early and came away with armfulls of stuff, most of which I've since sold.

The place was certainly a landmark for Manchester, but it's reputation is over-hyped in my opinion. I had some good nights there, but much better times elsewhere... at weekends it was generally full of 'townie' a-holes who didn't give a damn about the music, despite the club's reputation. The sound system was shoddy, the bouncers were gangsters and let's not forget that it was grandly opened by Bernard Manning!

Still, I was livid when it got sold off for flats instead of being kept as some kind of public venue. But then Tony Wilson was never precious about it; he seemed quite happy to see the back of the place once it was gone - and I can understand why.

Anyway, £4K for a piece of wood that I probably spilled beer on nearly 20 years ago? No thanks, sling yer Hook! ;-)

[quote name='keeponehandloose' post='1066678' date='Dec 22 2010, 12:31 PM']Saw many a great band there,but it always amazed me how the place stayed open for the first 6years until the Madchester boom.It was always dead in there unless there was a gig on.[/quote]

Many Bands played there not just Factory Bands
You must have been in on the famous Nude Night! :)

Cant remember any "name" nights,but that rings a bell.Was that a Friday/Saturday?
Played there a couple of times on the Tuesday night unsigned band nights.Soon after I stopped going it was the no.1 club on the planet :)
I remember one night there was a bridge accross the canal at the back, and they had put some fairground rides on.I think that was an aniversary of the opening or something.
Wish I still had my first year membership card though.£££££

As Gladys Knight said:

We look back and think:

The winters were warmer (true)
The grass was greener (but not as strong as it is now)
The skies were bluer (After one of those funny pills)
And smiles were bright (definatly after one of those funny pills)

Memories of the Hac eh

Although my best nights were in South on King Street. Funky man!

• 2 years later...