Why become a member? ×

If you read 1 thing today, please let it be this...

mgibson

[quote name='mgibson' post='1065018' date='Dec 20 2010, 08:01 PM']Um, hello, this is hard for me to really get across well. I'm 15 and reliseing that playing bass is really what I want to do in life. I've been playing for less than three years but I'm like above grade 6 standard, I read sheet music (three days locked in my room), I'm playing in a band (how many 15 year old boys don't?), I'm playing in a jazz band (accredited by local big boys as the best ever school band they have heard), I'm playing scores for big bands and in a school production of Bugsy Malone and taking as many chance as I possibly can (which ain't many in rural Norfolk :) ). Oh I'm also taking theory lessons and DB lessons. (Blowing my own trumpet, described as 'highly gifted' and the 'best bass student I've taught')

So anyway, it's really frustraiting 'cause I see all this insane bas players, more than a few of them preside on this here sight, and I go to myself how do they get there, I woodshed day in day out I listen to whatever the hell I can lay my hands on... So yeh, what I'm trying to say is that I want your help. I want to know where you learnt stuff like how to play over chord changes, how to construct walking bass lines, what to listen to and how to survive in the music industry. (Also if you live/have knoledge of the Norwich/South Norfolk music scene where I could get gigs or go see decent jazz stuff etc.)

I know I'm over stepping the line putting all this stuff up here and expecting you to reply, but I'm coming through in the generation of tab and eighth notes, not transcribing and quavers, so please help, cause I want to be part of the future of bass and I don't want that future to be bland, dire infact, because so many other elements of music nowadays are. Thanks.[/quote]

Get a life dude

Mods : close this thread. Its deadly dull

[quote name='Big_Stu' post='1066381' date='Dec 22 2010, 03:49 AM']Here I was, up to my eyeballs in work, working through the night to meet delivery dates, knackered, got man-flu and then I read this post. :) Perked me up no end it did![/quote]

Try not to encourage him. The fact is that I can think what I want about Stuart Hamm. His playing did little to nothing for me. Just a bunch of widdly-diddly crap but obviously lover-boy there can't stand the thought of someone criticizing his precious stu hamm...

Edited by EdwardHimself

Please, guys - keep your own personal agendas in check and arguments off the forum - You're doing a great job of ruining what could have been a really helpful and informative thread for those pursuing a career in Bass Playing.

Really disappointed in some of the rubbish on this thread. You all been stuck in doors for too long or something? Thank you to those who have made some good points.

+1

Being in a similar situation to the OP, I was hoping to be able to read through this thread and get some advice for my own situation from the masses of older, more experienced bassists on this forum. Ah well, getting used to what could have been informative and beneficial threads degrading into nothing more than slanging matches...