Why become a member? ×

Orange terror 1000 ?

fryer

[quote name='fryer' post='1065146' date='Dec 20 2010, 09:10 PM']Hi Jon. Well the pc cab is within the volume limits for the 3012. I still need to compare the 2 before I change the other ( fromn celestion to eminence ) I'll let you know.[/quote]

I'm not telling you what to do but I'd look into the speaker changing scenario properly with an expert - Have you seen the thread on here about the guy wanting to change an Ampeg speaker? Sheesh - It's a complicated thing!

I only say this as we wouldn't want you to waste money, time or be un-happy at the end of it all.

On the Ohm rating front - Either way you connect you need to have the amp on 4 Ohm.

Cheers,
Jon

[quote name='fryer' post='1065154' date='Dec 20 2010, 09:16 PM']Hi Mog. So have I made the right decision ? Have you tried a Nuke ?[/quote]
I reckon you'll be very happy with the Orange, as most people are. I'm just an anal freak when it comes to hybrid heads.
Just tried the BVP550. Nice tones. Great Eq section. The Nuke is a gimmick. As are most 1k+ watt heads IMO.
+1 re the ohm selector switch.

I have the terror 500 with 2 aggie GS 112 cabs.... which I imagine would be similar in volume to your PC cabs.
Even playing big rooms, with hundreds of people, without PA support is possible. I've never really even made mine sweat. It's seriously loud. I'd imagine through a couple of 15s or an 8x10 it would be earth quake territory.
Don't sweat it. It's a fantastic amp, and if in the unlikely event that you don't like it, you can always move it on here very quickly I'd say.

Well, the terror is louder then the RH 450. The cab with the original 300 w celestion can't take the terror amp. Didn't have this with the RH.

The modified cab, with the 450 w eminence is ok.

Now need new cabs. Or modify the other cab and fit an eminence. ?

[quote name='Jesso' post='1066493' date='Dec 22 2010, 09:57 AM']I have the terror 500 with 2 aggie GS 112 cabs.... which I imagine would be similar in volume to your PC cabs.
Even playing big rooms, with hundreds of people, without PA support is possible. I've never really even made mine sweat. It's seriously loud. I'd imagine through a couple of 15s or an 8x10 it would be earth quake territory.
Don't sweat it. It's a fantastic amp, and if in the unlikely event that you don't like it, you can always move it on here very quickly I'd say.[/quote]

I see the GS cabs take 300 w. Do they work ok ? I assume they do. So why does my PC with a 300 w celestion distort ?

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

thought I'd bump this thread as I'm looking at a second amp at the moment, and the orange TB is under serious consideration. I think its a lot of amp for the money, and I've been thinking about getting some orange in my gear for a while!

I know this was discussed earlier a bit, with regard to the 500 or 1000W version, but for an extra hundred quid or so, is the 1000 watter worth it? Yup, the volume knob works both ways and I'm sure the 500 would be more than adequate for pretty much any situation I encounter, however, I just cant stop thinking that its good investment to just go for the higher rated model :)

One question i had though, if there are any users out there, was does the power stage make any difference in the tone - i.e. getting to, say 2 oclock you get any more warmth/compression going on that enriches the harmonic content further, or anything like that?

I also assume the 1000 isnt switchable, and is either 1000w at 4 ohms, or 500w(ish) at 8. I dropped orange a line about that the other day and am waiting to hear.

I've seen a debate on the 900/1000w and necessity over on the streamliner thread, but wanted specifically orange TB users thoughts on this one!

Andy

I initially thought I might have been better off waiting for the 1000w version. However, considering my current setup is drowning out a very loud drummer and 2 guitarists if I go above 4 on the master volume I really don't think anything more powerful is worth it unless you plan to play an absolutely mahoosive venue with no PA support.

Valves are 12ax7s (ecc83 is the european designation for the same valve), not a fan of the stock ones personally but I have swapped in some JJ's on mine and the difference is amazing, much tighter sound at higher gains, seems to respond well to different valves so plenty of options for tone tweaking.

Thanks, thats really useful. Im considering another compact at the moment, ive realised ive been craving a 2x15 set up all along although my current set up still slams.
I think i recall reading one of your previous posts about chabging tubes, which is good to know as well so cheers for that.

I think i am leaning towards the 500 as 900watts at 8 ohms really doesnt sound sensible to me as i lack that after a beer!

So does anyone own the 1000?

Reckon ill be in the orange club in the next couple of weeks.... just need that chat with my good lady!

[quote name='Salt on your Bass?' post='1117038' date='Feb 5 2011, 08:52 PM']Thanks, thats really useful. Im considering another compact at the moment, ive realised ive been craving a 2x15 set up all along although my current set up still slams.
I think i recall reading one of your previous posts about chabging tubes, which is good to know as well so cheers for that.

I think i am leaning towards the 500 as 900watts at 8 ohms really doesnt sound sensible to me as i lack that after a beer!

So does anyone own the 1000?

Reckon ill be in the orange club in the next couple of weeks.... just need that chat with my good lady![/quote]

As if to back up what I have already said about the 500W, the guy who lives across the main road from where we practice came over to practice this morning and very politely asked us to keep it down as the bass was keeping him from hearing his tv. Yeah, I definitly don't need 1000w. On the plus side he was ok about it, even offered to go halves on some soundproofing for the practice room.