Why become a member? ×

Orange terror 1000 ?

fryer

[quote name='fryer' post='1062994' date='Dec 18 2010, 09:32 PM']I want something loud, so I was going to get a Bugera Nuke, but am now thinking of the Orange terror bass, the 1000 due out in January.

Or is there anything better for £400 ?[/quote]
Yea the 500 watt terror, but they're usually around £470. Save yourself £100, you honestly wont miss the extra 3dB.

Seriously, I struggled to move the output volume on my Terror 500 between a whisper and deafeningly loud with a 2x15". It was like that finite point on old power showers between icicle inducing coldness and taking the skin off your back hot.

I couldn't really see the 1000 being of any real benefit over the 500 unless you're playing large outdoor festivals, and I mean huge, or big arena concerts. They probably only make it for bragging rights so people can say that have a 1000 watt amp

On my Terror 500, for gigs in ordinary sized pubs, using one 4x12, I have both volume & gain on 2, and sometimes that needs adjusting lower.

Seriously loud piece of kit, put it through two decent cabs - well I can`t think of how powerful it would then be.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1063227' date='Dec 19 2010, 08:37 AM']On my Terror 500, for gigs in ordinary sized pubs, using one 4x12, I have both volume & gain on 2, and sometimes that needs adjusting lower.

Seriously loud piece of kit, put it through two decent cabs - well I can`t think of how powerful it would then be.[/quote]

I run mine through a Bareface Big One, also at standard pub gigs.

I normally have G = 4 and V = 2 to get a nice gritty sound.

Any more than that and my lead guitarsehole (playing through a Marshall 212 combo, I should point out) complains that he can't hear himself.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1063685' date='Dec 19 2010, 04:33 PM']I run mine through a Bareface Big One, also at standard pub gigs.

I normally have G = 4 and V = 2 to get a nice gritty sound.

Any more than that and my lead guitarsehole ([b]playing through a Marshall 212 combo[/b], I should point out) complains that he can't hear himself.[/quote]

Ah, I see you got one of those fancy house trained guitarists. Really must get one of those.

[quote name='Mog' post='1063687' date='Dec 19 2010, 04:36 PM']Ah, I see you got one of those fancy house trained guitarists. Really must get one of those.[/quote]

They were doing a special on them at GAK - buy a drummer and get a free lead guitarist, that sort of thing. I didn't really need one, but you know how it is ...

how much power do you need? and what kinda loud? valvey sounds louder than the whatage loud or just massive amounts of solid state watts?
If valvey... i have a head i've been trying to sell. 600w into 8ohms.... but that wasn't my main suggestion

otherwise if the seperate pre and power route is a good idea check out krispn's eden amp he's got for sale, and just find a pre amp and bang!

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk[/url] were offering a 15% discount on Orange gear if you enter the code ORA15 at the checkout. I saved a small fortune buying my Terror 500 head and was amazed when I went back 10 days later for the cab - I got the same discount again using the same code & details.

I knew no-one would like the Bugera. Anyway, I bought the terror base 500 yesterday - couldn't wait for the 1000, and probably would have been too much anyway. Only playing pubs, etc. But the new band's lead g has a Marshall full stack. So hopefully I'll be ok.

I'm using two purple chili 1 x 12 cabs, 300 w each, but I've changed the speaker in one to an eminence 450 w - 3012 LF.

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='1063733' date='Dec 19 2010, 05:11 PM']how much power do you need? and what kinda loud? valvey sounds louder than the whatage loud or just massive amounts of solid state watts?
If valvey... i have a head i've been trying to sell. 600w into 8ohms.... but that wasn't my main suggestion

otherwise if the seperate pre and power route is a good idea check out krispn's eden amp he's got for sale, and just find a pre amp and bang![/quote]

Luke, thanks for you suggestion, but I've bought a terror bass 500. Let me know if you're interested in the RH 450 ?

[quote name='fryer' post='1064289' date='Dec 20 2010, 09:26 AM']I knew no-one would like the Bugera. Anyway, I bought the terror base 500 yesterday - couldn't wait for the 1000, and probably would have been too much anyway. Only playing pubs, etc. But the new band's lead g has a Marshall full stack. So hopefully I'll be ok.

I'm using two purple chili 1 x 12 cabs, 300 w each, but I've changed the speaker in one to an eminence 450 w - 3012 LF.[/quote]
Good stuff, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. On the Bugera side of things I have to say I love their guitar heads. I also think the Orange Terror is one of the most lifeless heads I've played through so what do I know :)

[quote name='fryer' post='1064289' date='Dec 20 2010, 09:26 AM']...I'm using two purple chili 1 x 12 cabs, 300 w each, but I've changed the speaker in one to an eminence 450 w - 3012 LF.[/quote]

Hi Fryer,

On the speaker changing subject have you checked, either yourself or with an expert, that those P.C. cabs are any good for the 3012LF speaker?

I ask as I went to put some of the 3015's in a cab and was told don't bother. The analogy I was given was 'It's like putting a Ferrari engine in an old Skoda' i.e. it will work, but not very well at all in that enclosure.

Regards,
Jon

[quote name='jonthebass' post='1064509' date='Dec 20 2010, 12:28 PM']Hi Fryer,

On the speaker changing subject have you checked, either yourself or with an expert, that those P.C. cabs are any good for the 3012LF speaker?

I ask as I went to put some of the 3015's in a cab and was told don't bother. The analogy I was given was 'It's like putting a Ferrari engine in an old Skoda' i.e. it will work, but not very well at all in that enclosure.

Regards,
Jon[/quote]

Hi Jon. Well the pc cab is within the volume limits for the 3012. I still need to compare the 2 before I change the other ( fromn celestion to eminence ) I'll let you know.

[quote name='Mog' post='1064454' date='Dec 20 2010, 11:53 AM']Good stuff, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. On the Bugera side of things I have to say I love their guitar heads. I also think the Orange Terror is one of the most lifeless heads I've played through so what do I know :)[/quote]

Hi Mog. So have I made the right decision ? Have you tried a Nuke ?

ok, so I've got the terror 500. How should I connect my two speaker cabs ?

If I use one of the amplifier speaker outputs to the first cabs input socket, and
then use a second lead to connect from the link socket of the first
cab to the input socket of the second cab, they are wired in parallel,
giving a total 4 ohm load.

Or should I use both speaker outlets, one to each cabinet ?

What's the difference ?

And which switch position, 4 or 8 ohms, do I use for each method ?

[quote name='fryer' post='1065426' date='Dec 21 2010, 09:54 AM']ok, so I've got the terror 500. How should I connect my two speaker cabs ?

If I use one of the amplifier speaker outputs to the first cabs input socket, and
then use a second lead to connect from the link socket of the first
cab to the input socket of the second cab, they are wired in parallel,
giving a total 4 ohm load.

Or should I use both speaker outlets, one to each cabinet ?

What's the difference ?

And which switch position, 4 or 8 ohms, do I use for each method ?[/quote]

As I understand it you have two speaker cabs, each of 8-ohms. Use one cab and the switch should be set to 8-ohms, use both cabs and the switch should be set to 4-ohms.

Using good quality speaker cable it should make no difference whether you connect each cab directly to the amp or daisy-chain them. There is a school of thought, however, that recommends running each can directly from the amp so that in the very unlikely event that a cab blows then you still continue with the other.

In both cases the switch should be set to 4-ohms.