Why become a member? ×

What Have You Been Listening To? And Whos The Bassist?

Brandonh

[quote name='King of Loss' post='11630' date='Jun 4 2007, 12:16 AM']Pain of Salvation - Kristoffer Gildenlow - One of the most underrated bassists that I know of, probably.

YES - Never get tired of Chris Squire.....awesome player.

Radiohead......Colin Green? I can't remember - Simple but effective basslines.[/quote]

Good call on Kris G!! Great band, great bassist, very underrated as you say. Radiohead bassist is Colin Greenwood, Johnny's brother.

As for myself, it's been mostly Muse (Chris Wolstenholme) and I'm sure everyone's aware of the talents there. Apart from that:

Dream Theater- John Myung (I'm sure I don't need to say any more)
Pain of Salvation & Opeth (mentioned above)
Porcupine Tree- Ed something
Big Ben And The Houses Of Parliament- Me!

Band : Planet X - Moonbabies and Quantum
Bassists : Billy Sheehan, Tom Kennedy, Jimmy Johnson, Rufus Philpott
Why : I'm learning Alien HipHop and Ignotus per Ignotum for my covers band

Thank you for the heads up on Pain of Salvation. I knew the name but had never checked them out before. I'm glad I did - they're great.

Just been listening to the latest Spocks Beard album (though I think it came out last year). Bassist is Dave Meros. Still wears his Chris Squire influence on his sleeve a bit but a darn good player and finding something of a style of his own on more recent albums. Some nice fretless work on one of the tracks.

[quote name='nixonuk' post='11542' date='Jun 3 2007, 08:38 PM']The Stranglers - JJ Burnel

Burnel is the reason why I picked up a bass in the first place, just love that sound.[/quote]

Same... he takes that style to a new level, and makes the majority of their songs complete.

I'm flitting back and fore between a few at the moment so...

Michael Brecker - Pilgimage ( John Patitucci)
Hiromi - Time Control ( Tony Grey)
Jellyfish - Best! (?)
Avishai Cohen - As Is ( Cohen)
Devin Townsend - Ziltoid The Omniscient ( Townsend)
Bumblefoot - Normal ( Joe Nerve, I think?)
Gwilym Simcock Big Band - Radio 3 session (Laurence Cottle)

and I've just started listening to the new Chris Cornell album, no idea who played bass on it.

Cheers,
Alun

[quote name='bassboy115' post='11898' date='Jun 4 2007, 03:59 PM']zebrahead-ben osmundson (quality but unknown)
kings of leon - jared followill[/quote]

Two great bands, saw Zebrahead live at the Garage in Highbury- amazing!

Humm let see

adriano campagnani - adriano campagnani : great fusion bassist if relatively unknown well worth checking out if you a bass anorak

Hadrien Feraud - Hadrien Feraud : again great fusion bassist i cant beleive he's only 22! i hope he manages to find his own voice because at the moment he just sounds to much like just another a garrison clone

counter world experience - leaving lotus - (H.D. Lorenz - bass) Guess what yep more fusion :) these guys seem to be able to cover pretty much every thing jazz/rock/prog/fusion wise so if you into planet x/ohm/manring,mcgill,steve's and other time shifty prog/fusion there sure to push your buttons

Gordian Knot - Emergent (sean malone bass/stick) my fav prog/fusion band/project such well crafted tunes

Sad happy - good day bad dream - (paul hinklin & mic manring bass) one of mr manring side project's quite hard to track down and the tunes are somewhat like those from thonk nice and heavy/progy

[quote name='amj' post='12028' date='Jun 4 2007, 07:48 PM']Two great bands, saw Zebrahead live at the Garage in Highbury- amazing![/quote]

Yeah there both fantastic!
saw zebrahead a few weeks ago at birmingham barfly right at the front quality nite...goin 2 see KOL for the 4th time in december cant wait!

i've been listening to dot com blues by Jimmy Smith.
An album with a who's who guest list of jazz and blues greats plus superb bass playing from: reggie mcbride
Never heard of him? here is some furtherb reading: [url="http://www.bassplayer.com/story.asp?storycode=15886"]http://www.bassplayer.com/story.asp?storycode=15886[/url]