Why become a member? ×

status or jaydee?

jonboi

Aaaaahhh an MK fan eh...? :)

Well you wont get any objections round 'ere to either as they are both cracking Britsih makes. JDs are gonna be harder to find as there has been fewer made, Statii have there own webby and forum and some crakin basses and pop upquite often for sale on here and that auction site.

Do some research first tho to work out which one you want.

Very very few have issues so not a lot to tell you to look out for other than obvious signs of abuse!

Keep us updated on what you get!

I don't know anything about Jaydees but I like Status basses a lot.

The older ones (Graphite neck up to mid 90s) have a full on 'Status' sound whereas the newer ones are much more flexible, particularly the S2 Classic. The Kingbass feels too small for me but is a great bass with a slightly snappier tone.

The various wooden necked Statii from the 90s was pretty good but lack some of the oomph and wow factor of the graphite necked basses.

Best to try a few if you can and see what you think. Good luck!

Hi.

Have owned both and loved both. I found the Status to be more versatile sound wise, but uncomfortable to play (Used Kingbass mk1) whereas the Jaydee (New Roadie 1 Active) played like a dream, but to me it lacked bottom end.

Jaydee wait times for new are huge (18 months at least) whereas Status last time i looked for about 4 months. Used they do appear, but avoid early Jaydee as some (not all) are known for bendy/unstable necks

Regret selling both, but am now a Warwick man (also worth considering too :-) )

Horses for courses really - try as many as you can (usual advice i know). Keeo your eyes on here, Statii and Talkbass.

Good luck in your search dude

Graeme

[quote name='Conan' post='1061440' date='Dec 17 2010, 11:20 AM']Where abouts are you jonboi? If you are anywhere near the North East of England and would like a bit of a blast on an original 1980s Status - drop me a PM mate![/quote]
I'm happy to make the same offer of a blast on my Jaydee Supernatural 1A if you're in the North London/Herts area. Can't offer any comparison against a Status but I'm more than happy with the Jaydee and a friend is constantly on my case to sell it to him. PM me if you're interested..

At the moment I think a Jaydee represents far better value. Status basses are suffering some pretty severe inflation now, both in the used market and as new builds. For instance, a Kingbass Standard will set you back some £1600 at the very least. And I've got to say, thats a big hit, especially considering that the woods being used in the Standard range seem to be looking more and more uninspiring. Add to this the bolt on neck and satin finish and you seem to be paying an awful lot.

I can't remember the list prices for new Jaydees, but I do recall a thread here where people were stunned at how cheap they are. Your money will go further there than at Status (and the Status prices will further increase with the VAT rise). It's a shame that the Status market is so vastly overinflated at the moment, which means that the tattier stuff like S2000 are pitched at £1000 used and even things like S4000's turning up for £700 used.

Furthermore, Status certainly don't build them like they used to. Anyone who has played a 1980's S2 with the proper graphite "paddle" through neck will be able to attest to how they feel, sound and look better than the new ones.

I don't know if I've got Statii fatigue from owning them over the years, or if it's the dire state of the current Status market that is turning me away from them. I once thought that they represented fantastic value for money, although this is not so much the case now.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1062359' date='Dec 18 2010, 12:13 PM']Furthermore, Status certainly don't build them like they used to. Anyone who has played a 1980's S2 with the proper graphite "paddle" through neck will be able to attest to how they feel, sound and look better than the new ones.[/quote]

Utter Bollocks mate!

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1062359' date='Dec 18 2010, 12:13 PM'].............

Furthermore, Status certainly don't build them like they used to. Anyone who has played a 1980's S2 with the proper graphite "paddle" through neck will be able to attest to how they feel, sound and look better than the new ones.

............[/quote]

Sorry but I couldn't agree less! I have 4 new S2 Classics and the fit and finish is flawless and they feel exactly like my old ones which is why I bought them. The old rigid graphite necks have more brightness and string clatter, but ultimately they're less versatile than the newer ones with truss rods because you can't lose that Status trademark sound.

I can easily get the classic Status sound by boosting the bass and treble on the preamp on the new S2 Classics, but they're also capable of doing so much more.

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='1062438' date='Dec 18 2010, 01:31 PM']I can easily get the classic Status sound by boosting the bass and treble on the preamp on the new S2 Classics, but they're also capable of doing so much more.[/quote]

And I think here is the crux of the matter! For a start, you have boost from your preamp to create that classic tone, which is never a good thing. And even then, it doesn't sound as convincing as the old basses do. And when it comes to saying the basses are "capable of doing so much more", I find that to be such an overrated thing. When I borrowed Conan's 1986 S2, it produced one tone, essentially. On both pickups, it was fuller. With just the bridge, it was tighter and burpier. I never used the EQ, I never the passive mode. It just did what it did so well. Being able to do many things can be useful, but the core tone of that S2 was so good you could have used it anywhere. A little tweak on your amp to accomodate for a room or venue and you've got it sorted, classic and distinctive bass tone right there.

It's not that I don't like the newer Status basses, they are absolutely fantastic. But they don't strike me as "the best" like the old ones do. The older S2's, Empathys etc etc have stood up next to the best basses I've ever played as equals. And in company like Kubicki, Fodera, Wal, ACG and Alembic, thats is no mean feat. The newer ones are good but they just don't make them like they used to, and the prices are unpalatable to me when such fabulous value is available elsewhere on the new and used market.

It also strikes me now that the quality of the woods being used, particularly in the bolt on basses, has declined somewhat. I suppose good wood is more difficult than ever to source but this really is a shame as there are a few slightly dull looking Status basses around now whereas they all used to look a spectacle of fabulous woods in the 80's! I also wish they hadn't stopped using the brass hardware and it looked much better than the monorail units and was no more difficult to use.

Please do not think I am "Status bashing" or defaming some sacred cow. I know that Status Graphite rarely come under criticism and quite rightly so. They have a long history of producing fantastic basses and I've enjoyed being a Status owner myself. But they are drifting away from the market, a market in which at one time, everyone wanted a Status bass!

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1063264' date='Dec 19 2010, 09:54 AM']And in company like Kubicki, Fodera, Wal, ACG and Alembic, thats is no mean feat. The newer ones are good but they just don't make them like they used to, and the prices are unpalatable to me when such fabulous value is available elsewhere on the new and used market.

But they are drifting away from the market, a market in which at one time, [b]everyone wanted a Status bass![/b][/quote]

I never wanted one before but as far as value for money they look a bargain to me especially when compared with the prices of the other basses you are putting them in company with. If their basses are as good as their necks I might have to try one out one day.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1063281' date='Dec 19 2010, 10:22 AM']I never wanted one before but as far as value for money they look a bargain to me especially when compared with the prices of the other basses you are putting them in company with. If their basses are as good as their necks I might have to try one out one day.[/quote]

I do of course hold the older ones is the same regard as these top shelf basses, the newer ones not so much, aside from the Kingbass Artist perhaps. They used to be very reasonably priced on the used market. A couple of years ago I sold my Stealth 6 string for £750 and technically made £150 profit on it! When I bought my Matrix, there was a graphite necked energy selling for something like £400. Now, as I say, the tattier stuff like the unimpressive S4000 is pitched around the same price as the Stealth sold for!

And the Stealth really was a marvel of engineering, perhaps Rob's finest moment for me. Had it been a headless 4 string I would have kept it, as it sounded great. It was a fantastic player, but as a headed 6 string it felt a little bulky and a 6 string wasn't something that appealed a great deal to me. It also cost me a Kubicki to acquire, something which was a bad move! You live and learn...

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1063264' date='Dec 19 2010, 09:54 AM']And I think here is the crux of the matter! For a start, you have boost from your preamp to create that classic tone, which is never a good thing. And even then, it doesn't sound as convincing as the old basses do. And when it comes to saying the basses are "capable of doing so much more", I find that to be such an overrated thing. When I borrowed Conan's 1986 S2, it produced one tone, essentially. On both pickups, it was fuller. With just the bridge, it was tighter and burpier. I never used the EQ, I never the passive mode. It just did what it did so well. Being able to do many things can be useful, but the core tone of that S2 was so good you could have used it anywhere. A little tweak on your amp to accomodate for a room or venue and you've got it sorted, classic and distinctive bass tone right there.[/quote]

I guess you're a die hard fan of the full on 80s Status sound, unfortunately I think Status would be struggling to sell basses like that these days because a lot of bass players just don't want that sound anymore me included. Music has changed a lot and the bass has probably become less important in the mix for many producers unfortunately so a less upfront sound is usually required.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1063264' date='Dec 19 2010, 09:54 AM']It's not that I don't like the newer Status basses, they are absolutely fantastic. But they don't strike me as "the best" like the old ones do. The older S2's, Empathys etc etc have stood up next to the best basses I've ever played as equals. And in company like Kubicki, Fodera, Wal, ACG and Alembic, thats is no mean feat. The newer ones are good but they just don't make them like they used to, and the prices are unpalatable to me when such fabulous value is available elsewhere on the new and used market.

It also strikes me now that the quality of the woods being used, particularly in the bolt on basses, has declined somewhat. I suppose good wood is more difficult than ever to source but this really is a shame as there are a few slightly dull looking Status basses around now whereas they all used to look a spectacle of fabulous woods in the 80's! I also wish they hadn't stopped using the brass hardware and it looked much better than the monorail units and was no more difficult to use.

Please do not think I am "Status bashing" or defaming some sacred cow. I know that Status Graphite rarely come under criticism and quite rightly so. They have a long history of producing fantastic basses and I've enjoyed being a Status owner myself. But they are drifting away from the market, a market in which at one time, everyone wanted a Status bass![/quote]

I think the quality of the woods is good but there's no question Rob chooses more subtle grains than some luthiers. They can look a little plain in photos but in reality I think they look pretty tasteful. I'm also not a fan of the monorail units though!

Price wise, carbon fibre is pretty expensive stuff at the moment and also time consuming to lay up and autoclave. Working the finished product is also tough on tools so all in all I think the price is OK for handmade new instruments. I guess as time goes on there are less of the older Statii around so the prices are going to go up.

As for drifting away from the market, the fact that Status are very busy despite the recession suggests they're doing things right with the newer style basses. However the fact that people are willing to pay big money for an old skool Status suggests that you're right!

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='1063345' date='Dec 19 2010, 11:13 AM']Music has changed a lot and the bass has probably become less important in the mix for many producers unfortunately so a less upfront sound is usually required.[/quote]

Perhaps this is where the problem lies!

And while I'm on this track, I think it's a shame that since the return of Wal they've started trading again at pretty much over "peak panic" prices, starting at £3200!

I could stomach paying £2000 even for a new one but not that much. I guess they must be cranking them out fairly slowly with a full order book, but if they lowered the price then Wal could quite feasibly enjoy another boom like they did in the 80's and become the "in" bass. I certainly think they're popular enough in terms of demand to be able to shoot to the top of the UK luthier's market if they were priced right. I absolutely love their basses but they're out of touch with their "working man" aesthetic that gives them their charm.

And meanwhile, back on topic land........

Here is a Jaydee Mark King on sale on Glasgow gumtree. Don`t know anything about it but I thought it might be of interest. I have owned 2 Status models, a T bass and an Energy. They were both excellent sounding instruments and didn`t cost a lot.

Jez

[url="http://glasgow.gumtree.com/glasgow/33/70628733.html"]http://glasgow.gumtree.com/glasgow/33/70628733.html[/url]

Edited by jezzaboy

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1063264' date='Dec 19 2010, 09:54 AM']And in company like Kubicki, Fodera, Wal, ACG and Alembic, thats is no mean feat.[/quote]

While it is very nice to be included in the above company my prices are no where near Fodera,Wal and Almebic.

Alan

[quote name='skelf' post='1063559' date='Dec 19 2010, 02:37 PM']While it is very nice to be included in the above company my prices are no where near Fodera,Wal and Almebic.

Alan[/quote]

Of course Alan. The comparison is made on an assessment of quality across the board, not price. I think it's fair to say that your basses represent the best value for money in the UK at the moment. I think it's fantastic that you're able to produce such brilliant instruments at such a reasonable price point!

Jaydee !

I recently got my 24 year old Series 3 back from John. It's been totally refinished, and sounds and plays as good as anything else I've played, including Wal, Alembic and Status. I'm going to be ordering a new one, I want a 5 string GA24.

This is it a month or so ago, and the finished article.

Edited by Soliloquy

Never liked the physical feel of Jaydees - I find the few I have played uncomfortable. Status are better in my mind but I am a Wal man through and through and do think that they are worth the £3.5K asking price. Would order one tomorrow (5 string fretless) if the money was there.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1065489' date='Dec 21 2010, 11:10 AM']Never liked the physical feel of Jaydees - I find the few I have played uncomfortable. Status are better in my mind but I am a Wal man through and through and do think that they are worth the £3.5K asking price. Would order one tomorrow (5 string fretless) if the money was there.[/quote]

I couldn't agree less. I had a Wal that I sold earlier in the year. It was very old, and a beautiful instrument. I had it refinished by Paul at Wal. The impression that I gained with my dealing was that the new Wal business is nothing more than a money making enterprise. There really didn't seem to be any passion about the basses. I wasn't alone with the impression either, there was another guy there when I collected my bass, he thought exactly the same thing.

£3.5k is an awful lot of money for a 'bolt on' neck design bass. There's very little of the custom element in the bass, not like Sei, Status or Jaydee.

The comfort of a bass is a very personal thing. My Jaydee is as comfortable as any other bass that I own. It's actually a lot better to play than my Sei. My Zon has the most ridiculous string spacing, an Alembic Stanley Clarke that I owned was totally unbalanced. I had a Kingbass Series 1 that was nice but had a sound that you just couldn't EQ out.