Why become a member? ×

When's it time to sell up, move on

Marvin

I'm only in my early thirties and am quite happy noodling away at home. Did a few gigs in my 20s but I knew then that the "gigging band" lifestyle just wasn't for me.

In fact the most fun I had was as a pit muso in a theatre production at the Edinburgh festival in 2000. Lots of fun and no "rock star" bullshit. I may do that again in some sort of "am-dram" capacity....

I enjoy playing for its own sake, and I enjoy owning guitars as nice objects to have around the house.

Edited by rjb

[quote name='Marvin' post='1060115' date='Dec 15 2010, 10:29 PM']I'm thinking of jacking it in. I'm not sure I enjoy playing, I like the idea of playing and being in a band but not particularly fussed about the reality.

Although I think the main reason is my playing is so poor I struggle with simple straightforward stuff regardless of how much I practice, I just don't enjoy it as a result.[/quote]

I am sure your playing is much better than you think.
When I was 16 and had been playing for a few months, I was really crap. Tuneless with no rythm.
Girlfriend dumped me, didn't go out on a night for a couple of months. Sat at home on a night annoying my parents. Put records on and just played along badly, but my speed and ear improved. Not actually learning the songs, just playing wherever my fingers went.
Could do the same nowadays with CD.s.
Find a group of people who are at your percieved level, advertise for them.
Trust me, with no disregard for either genre, anybody with a little perserverance can make a reasonable fist of Country or Blues bass (IMO).
If you don't enjoy it fine, but if it's just born out of percieved frustration, go for it.
Best of luck either way,
Karl.

PS, treat yourself to a weekend next summer on the River Severn, it's 2 hours from me, possibly a touch more for you, but it's worth it!

Once again edited for spelling :)

Edited by karlfer

I stopped playing over 24 years ago for nearly a year during the period when my daughter was born, and really glad I did too.
Actually quite enjoyed the break for 3-4 months, after that I was starting to get twitchy - staying in Saturday nights etc!
Guess its in my blood and all that , been playing in bands now for nearly 40 years (I was 13 when I first started by the way!),
and don't see myself stopping in the forseeable future - unless the amount of gigs dries up completely.

Have a break, but never say never.......

I was considering a break, not from bass, but from bands. Ive has some right problems with bands recently, but my originals band is going pretty well. My only issue is we dont seem to have that 'push' to get to a level im happy with. I think thats mainly because we are a busy lot...nothing down to our ability.

We will, eventually, get there.

If that doesnt work out....ill stay in touch with them, and just advertise....but probably have a good 6-9 month break from being messed about.

Big difference between quitting altogether and taking a break. If you start to sell stuff make sure you keep enough so that when the urge takes you to come back (which I'm sure it will) you've got enough to play with others again. We're all learning, we're all just at different stages so don't beat yourself up I'm sure there's heaps of people out there that'd love to have you in their band (quite possibly the rest of my band for a start).

[quote name='Marvin' post='1060115' date='Dec 15 2010, 10:29 PM']I'm thinking of jacking it in. I'm not sure I enjoy playing, I like the idea of playing and being in a band but not particularly fussed about the reality.

Although I think the main reason is my playing is so poor I struggle with simple straightforward stuff regardless of how much I practice, I just don't enjoy it as a result.[/quote]

Ever given any thought to the idea you might be playing the wrong instrument - that your talent lies in another instrument?