Why become a member? ×

Rob Wright (NoMeansNo) - an unsung bassist?

Skol303

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone here has any love for Rob Wright of the (now ageing!) Canadian punk band NoMeansNo?

I've just dusted off some of their old albums and had forgotten how solid this guy is as a bassist-cum-vocalist. I mean he's not brilliant, but in my opinion a possible 'unsung hero' of the bass world.

If you have no idea who/what I'm blathering on about, then have a look at this YouTube clip:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJi0_WcJHkg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJi0_WcJHkg[/url]

^ Good to see I'm not alone on this!

I've never seen them play live, but from clips they appear just as tight on stage as they do in the studio. I guess that comes from them playing together for nearly 30 years, or whatever...

Old they may be, but they still gives the young guns a good run for their money ;-)

The intro to "Day Everything Became Nothing" was a favourite of mine back in the day. I play fingerstyle, which doesn't give it the same 'crunchy' sound, but it still gives me a good workout whenever I jam along to it.

Absolutely!!! The Wright Brothers are just too damn good. Myself and a drummer used to play 'Big Dick' incessantly. What a tune. Saw them live about 4-5 years ago. Me a happy camper after that. In my opinion he is a brilliant bass player - a lot of those lines are way beyond casual riffing.

And the tone!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!?!! Just the tone of his bass on it's own gets my head spinning.

Edited by Gareth Hughes

My old band used to support them loads in Brighton a fair few years ago and they more often than not kipped around our flat after the shows. Always remember one occasion where both the brothers slept in our singers bed, they had a bottle of whiskey and were trying to contact aliens with a laptop! Good times.

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' post='1059555' date='Dec 15 2010, 02:07 PM']And the tone!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!?!! Just the tone of his bass on it's own gets my head spinning.[/quote]

IIRC he uses Marshall guitar amp heads. doesn't he?

0+2=1 is one of my favourite albums.

"My old band used to support them loads in Brighton a fair few years ago and they more often than not kipped around our flat after the shows. Always remember one occasion where both the brothers slept in our singers bed, they had a bottle of whiskey and were trying to contact aliens with a laptop! Good times."

^ Wow! You lucky b....assist! ;-) Must have been great gigging with them, and good to hear they're suitably bonkers in 'real life'.

"0+2=1 is one of my favourite albums."

^ Yep, mine too. That particular album switched me on to NoMeansNo in the first place.