Why become a member? ×

Basschat Awards: Gigging in the face of Adversity

Happy Jack

Clarky and I have decided that we don't have enough ... erm ... better make that "any" medals.

I hereby nominate Clarky for a Basschat Insanity Award for playing his first-ever DB gig just two weeks after breaking his left hand.

I will also take this opportunity to nominate myself (hey, it's my Topic, I make the rules, OK?) for a Basschat Anti-Depping Award for playing with two different bands at an all-day charity event three weeks after breaking my leg in two places.

Anyone else care to come up with some other nominations?

Or at least second these?

I played a gig a few days after breaking my collarbone. Thankfully it was my right one, so my strap hung on my left shoulder - but I still had to have help getting my bass over my head. Also played a show with such a rotten head cold that both my ears were blocked, making my already dodgy upright intonation that much worse. To make it more fun I got a serious nosebleed during the intermission that delayed the second half. The bleeding didn't stop on it's own so I had to go onstage with a big wad of reddening toilet paper wedged up one nostril. To make things even better was that this was a tux and tie gig, backing three tenors - so very la dee daa.

Can I get a Darwin award?

Here's mine although, as I wasn't injured or ill at the time, it may not count.

2 years ago at our local music festival, I supplied the bass rig, drums and P.A, and mixed two of the 6 bands. Was there for a total of 14 hours and in between, played a set with my band (bass) then with a blues band (lead guitar) a French pop rock band (bass) another French rock band on drums and slotted in a lead guitar solo for a solo keyboard player.

All these buggers turned up with someone missing on the day?? Only in France.

Do I win £5?

I once vomited in the toilet at the side of the stage during a big solo piano feature, and got back onstage to finish the set with the taste making me feel even worse... it was on an extremely rough crossing of the bay of biscay and the theatre lounge being in the bows of the ship was going up and down like a good un, 40-60 feet rise and fall whilst holding a double bass and trying to put on a show under the hot lights etc all conspired to give me my one and only bout of sea sickness. Blegh
I definitely deserve some sort of recognition for that little episode.

Edited by jakesbass