Why become a member? ×

SX Short-Scale Bass

thebrig

This is a follow up to my other post, where I am looking for lightweight bass.

[b]SX SHORT SCALE BASS[/b] I have heard that they play and sound good, and are also very light.
Any idea where I might be able to pick one up? the only ones I have seen advertised in the UK are normally long-scale.
I have considered buying direct from the States, but all the new ones have that hideous headstock on them because Fender bullied them into changing the original shape.
If I did import one, does anyone know how much import tax would be added?
They cost around $140.

IIRC I had to pay somewhere around £30 on top.

It might be worth searching for a short scale Jim Deacon in the UK. They may or may not be, made in the same factory as SX. Nobody seems to be able to confirm the fact. However I have owned two SX's and now have a JD and they are remarkably similar.

[quote name='paul h' post='1054324' date='Dec 10 2010, 05:41 PM']IIRC I had to pay somewhere around £30 on top.

It might be worth searching for a short scale Jim Deacon in the UK. They may or may not be, made in the same factory as SX. Nobody seems to be able to confirm the fact. However I have owned two SX's and now have a JD and they are remarkably similar.[/quote]
Which models did you have, and were they all short scale?
What did you think of them, and are they quite light?
cheers

[quote name='thebrig' post='1054330' date='Dec 10 2010, 05:48 PM']Which models did you have, and were they all short scale?
What did you think of them, and are they quite light?
cheers[/quote]

I had a P and one of the Ltd J's. Both long scale. I was stupid to get rid of them and I can't really remember the weight.

Good basses for the money.

Shambo's link looks like a good way to go.

I have a two shortie SX basses, and they're absolutely fab :) Both of mine were bought from here, so it might be worthwhile putting up an items wanted thread. It's worth noting that there's a difference between the normal SX range and the Junior range which also comes in short scale. You want the normal range. The Junior range isn't necessarily bad, but the normal range is better.

If you're buying from Rondomusic they may insist on a case purchase as well for posting it in, upping the price a bit. The cases are very good quality and don't really cost that much, so it might be well worth doing it as it will save you hunting for one here. Still, the prices are so stupidly cheap that it's still very good value.

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='1054384' date='Dec 10 2010, 06:50 PM']I have a two shortie SX basses, and they're absolutely fab :) Both of mine were bought from here, so it might be worthwhile putting up an items wanted thread. It's worth noting that there's a difference between the normal SX range and the Junior range which also comes in short scale. You want the normal range. The Junior range isn't necessarily bad, but the normal range is better.

If you're buying from Rondomusic they may insist on a case purchase as well for posting it in, upping the price a bit. The cases are very good quality and don't really cost that much, so it might be well worth doing it as it will save you hunting for one here. Still, the prices are so stupidly cheap that it's still very good value.[/quote]
If they had the old style headstock, I would probably order one.
I know looks aint everything, but have you seen the new ones?
I don't think I could live with it.
Unbelievably awful!!!!

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='1054384' date='Dec 10 2010, 06:50 PM']I have a two shortie SX basses, and they're absolutely fab :) Both of mine were bought from here, so it might be worthwhile putting up an items wanted thread. It's worth noting that there's a difference between the normal SX range and the Junior range which also comes in short scale. You want the normal range. The Junior range isn't necessarily bad, but the normal range is better.

If you're buying from Rondomusic they may insist on a case purchase as well for posting it in, upping the price a bit. The cases are very good quality and don't really cost that much, so it might be well worth doing it as it will save you hunting for one here. Still, the prices are so stupidly cheap that it's still very good value.[/quote]
Let me know if you ever consider selling one

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='1054398' date='Dec 10 2010, 07:12 PM']Oh! I agree. I even emailed them about it, and it probably won't go back :)[/quote]
I emailed them about a month ago, and they said that they were forced to change it by Fender.
Mind you, I would have thought that they could have come up with something better than that old 'paddle shaped' thing!