Why become a member? ×

Lightweight Bass?

thebrig

[quote name='martthebass' post='1058795' date='Dec 14 2010, 06:21 PM']If you want the 'old school woody tone' save yourself £1350 and buy an epiphone EB0.

If you want a bass that you can 'hear' on stage buy a Streamline :)

And considering construction, I don't see how this bass could be made any better without encrusting it with jewels - maybe I have low expectations - played Fenders and MM's for years :)

Seriously though, this is horses for courses, if you've got a problem with the 'graphite' sound fair enough, however having used a Streamline in just about every setting over the last couple of years I've found the sound very versatile and far less harsh than I expected. If you want it to sound 'dub' or 'old school' use the eq![/quote]

Ive had an EB-0 and found it too growly and clanky - not my scene at all and not fixable with EQ.

I also spent some time trying to EQ a smooth, woody old school tone from the Streamline, to no avail - I would love to hear a sample of your Streamline EQd to sound like a vintage Hofner or Fender.
If you can make it sound truly 'dub' like on an old King Tubby mix, I will think again.
To me, it's a modern bass with a modern sound and I appreciate it's incredible build quality, stunning looks and fantastic range of tones, but the sound and feel leave me cold.

And I've never had a problem hearing myself on stage with any bass - I simply turn the volume up :lol:

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1058199' date='Dec 14 2010, 09:08 AM']I wish you hadn't changed your avatar - I didn't recognise you at first!

That Senator is a lovely bass, but I'm not without it ... I still have two Presidents (a 1959 Sutcliffe and a 1965) so I still have that wonderful woody tone available on tap.

Trouble is, you can't play those basses on stage at modern gigging volumes. The feedback just gets uncontrollable. (IMHO of course.)[/quote]

Yes I haven't aged well have I ? :)

I only played the Senator at home and on some recordings, where it sounds great, I wasn't aware of feedback problems at gigs and I wouldn't ask Owen to lend it me for a live gig in case I broke it.

I'm still looking for the perfect lightweight bass with a heavy dub tone and still playing the old jazz bass until I find one.
I nearly bought a lovely '74 Musicmaster last week, but the tone isn't quite there and I'm going to try a Danelectro this week, expecting the same story.........

Enjoy your Streamline, they are amazing instruments and we are in the 21st C. (allegedly). :)

[quote name='Krysbass' post='1058439' date='Dec 14 2010, 12:33 PM']The SR600 does sound quite modern and some people have said they couldn't live with its bright tone. But I moved to it after only playing more traditional basses fitted with P and J - type pickups for the last 25 years and I've found that the SR600's brightness is sufficiently tamed by just cutting the treble on the 3-band EQ. The SR600 has a strong bass presence too and I reckon it's actually very versatile in the tone department. I'm in the process of writing a full review on this bass which I'll hopefully be able to post on basschat shortly. :)[/quote]
I've just picked up my SR500.
It is absolutely [b]pristine![/b] not a mark on it, and is as light as a feather.
It sounds good, and has the fastest neck I've ever played.
The best £250 I've ever spent!

Edited by thebrig

That is one of the most gob-smacking, awe-inspiring threads I've ever read.

Out of sheer idle curiosity, I've emailed Gil Yaron to ask roughly how much he charges ...

Incidentally, post #336 gives easily the best explanation (and demonstration) that I've ever come across of why the Jazz was called the Jazz. Who'd have thought a J-bass could sound so much like a DB?

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1059340' date='Dec 15 2010, 09:59 AM']That is one of the most gob-smacking, awe-inspiring threads I've ever read.

Out of sheer idle curiosity, I've emailed Gil Yaron to ask roughly how much he charges ...

Incidentally, post #336 gives easily the best explanation (and demonstration) that I've ever come across of why the Jazz was called the Jazz. Who'd have thought a J-bass could sound so much like a DB?[/quote]
Amazing isn't it!

[quote name='redstriper' post='1058996' date='Dec 14 2010, 09:06 PM']Ive had an EB-0 and found it too growly and clanky - not my scene at all and not fixable with EQ.

I also spent some time trying to EQ a smooth, woody old school tone from the Streamline, to no avail - I would love to hear a sample of your Streamline EQd to sound like a vintage Hofner or Fender.
If you can make it sound truly 'dub' like on an old King Tubby mix, I will think again.
To me, it's a modern bass with a modern sound and I appreciate it's incredible build quality, stunning looks and fantastic range of tones, but the sound and feel leave me cold.

And I've never had a problem hearing myself on stage with any bass - I simply turn the volume up :)[/quote]

We're obviously using completely different rigs (can't help you with the 'sampling' btw - I never stick a lead into the PC :))

I generally use a 15" cab (the MB115HR in my sig) - with judicious use of the V'whatever EQ controls on the LM and dialing out some treb/adding some bass the Streamline does a good thump (finger style), though I admit it takes more effort than using a straightforward Fender P. It's rare that I look for a woody tone but in my functions band I usually have to do anything from Dean Martin to Stereophonics and I've found the versatility of the little Status very useful. I'd accept that if all I played was old Motown or Early Rolling Stones then I'd probably pick up another passive jobbie but then I'd need to take 2 basses if I played anything else!

I struggle with the EB0 through my set up.....all I get is a fairly dull thud through 15"s or 12"s.....the only time I can get anything approaching 'clank' is through my 10" practice combo. I think all this proves is it depends how much the amp/eq/cab make to the end result; the bass is only one part of the overall equation - and lets not get started on strings!

[quote name='owen' post='1059163' date='Dec 14 2010, 11:43 PM']Here is a thread about a luthier making a 6.5 pound Jazz.

[url="http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/169606-1960-jazzbass-build.html"]http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot...bass-build.html[/url][/quote]

What attention to detail, that was an engrossing read!

[quote name='martthebass' post='1059699' date='Dec 15 2010, 04:28 PM']We're obviously using completely different rigs (can't help you with the 'sampling' btw - I never stick a lead into the PC :))

I generally use a 15" cab (the MB115HR in my sig) - with judicious use of the V'whatever EQ controls on the LM and dialing out some treb/adding some bass the Streamline does a good thump (finger style), though I admit it takes more effort than using a straightforward Fender P. It's rare that I look for a woody tone but in my functions band I usually have to do anything from Dean Martin to Stereophonics and I've found the versatility of the little Status very useful. I'd accept that if all I played was old Motown or Early Rolling Stones then I'd probably pick up another passive jobbie but then I'd need to take 2 basses if I played anything else!

I struggle with the EB0 through my set up.....all I get is a fairly dull thud through 15"s or 12"s.....the only time I can get anything approaching 'clank' is through my 10" practice combo. I think all this proves is it depends how much the amp/eq/cab make to the end result; the bass is only one part of the overall equation - and lets not get started on strings![/quote]

It's funny because I have a very similar rig to yours.
I use an LM2 through one or two lightweight 15s and I make much use of the filters especially when recording, but I do like a very deep and smooth tone.
I don't play much variety of music - it's 90% dub reggae, with a bit of blues, funk or jazz thrown in and I add a tiny bit of treble on the bass sometimes for that.
The Streamline was too rich for me tone wise like most modern basses, but it's very versatile and I can see it being perfect for most players needs - just not me.

The EB-0 was also not smooth enough for me, I don't like any growl in the tone and the clank came from the low tension short scale strings clacking on the frets, due to my poor technique.

I'm just a fussy old Hector :)

[quote name='tauzero' post='1060755' date='Dec 16 2010, 05:09 PM']You don't want to use your Ashbory?[/quote]

I used it at every gig for over a year and then went back to the old jazz for some reason.
I still use the Ash sometimes, but I've become a bit paranoid about playing out of tune because the intonation is difficult on such a small scale.
But it's got the tone for me and it's fun to play, ideally I'd like something between my great heavy jazz bass and the Ashbory.

[quote name='redstriper' post='1061202' date='Dec 17 2010, 12:41 AM']I used it at every gig for over a year and then went back to the old jazz for some reason.
I still use the Ash sometimes, but I've become a bit paranoid about playing out of tune because the intonation is difficult on such a small scale.
But it's got the tone for me and it's fun to play, ideally I'd like something between my great heavy jazz bass and the Ashbory.[/quote]
What about that new solid Kala U-Bass? Pahoehoehoe strings (just right for Christmas) and (I assume) available fretted. Buggerall information available though.

[quote name='tauzero' post='1061319' date='Dec 17 2010, 09:08 AM']What about that new solid Kala U-Bass? Pahoehoehoe strings (just right for Christmas) and (I assume) available fretted. Buggerall information available though.[/quote]

Yes I had one on loan from BC Owen and while it solved the intonation problem, it wasn't really for me.
Great tone, but the frets being so close together mean you have to be more accurate than on a normal scale bass, to avoid choking and buzzing.
I would probably get used to it, but I'm lazy and the Ashbory is smoother and faster, despite the intonation problems.
I might buy one if they were half the price and I like the look of the new solid body models that are coming out soon.

I bought a stick on fret board for the Ashbory and had the same problems with choking and buzzing, so I removed it and I still like the sound and feel but wish the scale was a bit longer.
It's got a lot of character though with fantastic tone and it's great for taking to jams, parties and well lit gigs!

After trying (and buying) lots of basses this year, I finally know what I want - a nice lightweight jazz bass please.
Not so easy as it sounds because they vary so much in weight and quality, but at least I know what I'm looking for now :)

[quote name='owen' post='1059163' date='Dec 14 2010, 03:43 PM']Here is a thread about a luthier making a 6.5 pound Jazz.

[url="http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/169606-1960-jazzbass-build.html"]http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot...bass-build.html[/url][/quote]
OMG, the science in this would make a creationist blush :)