Why become a member? ×

Lightweight Bass?

thebrig

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1054177' date='Dec 10 2010, 03:51 PM']I think this picture of my first Kubicki Ex Factor really captures just how lightweight and chuckable they are...

I like how if you look in the mirror you can see the back of the neck, and how wonderfully comfortable it is. To think I was without an Ex Factor for a couple of years, absolute madness. Never again...[/quote]
I love it, looks great!
Where would I get one in the UK?
Not sure whether I could afford it though, but who knows,
once us bass nuts try something, we always seem to come up with the dosh somehow!

Kubickis are rare, but not non-existent. Keep an eye on the For Sale section here, and monitor eBay, and you'll get one eventually.

If you're really keen, make sure you know the differences between the (limited number of) models. The electronics vary a bit, and not all of them have the built-in Drop D thingy.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1054796' date='Dec 11 2010, 10:58 AM']Kubickis are rare, but not non-existent. Keep an eye on the For Sale section here, and monitor eBay, and you'll get one eventually.

If you're really keen, make sure you know the differences between the (limited number of) models. The electronics vary a bit, and not all of them have the built-in Drop D thingy.[/quote]
Thanks for the advice, I will research them first.

Shame on you for not sharing the Bolin love.

They are pretty rare (not as in vintage and all that) but they come up now and again and are very light indeed. The fact that they have the best piezo tone ever (yes I stated that as a fact even though it is only any opinion) is a bonus as well.

[url="http://www.bolinguitars.com/features.html"]http://www.bolinguitars.com/features.html[/url]

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1053213' date='Dec 9 2010, 07:00 PM']I have the self same trouble. There are light basses out there but to save yourself grief I'd define what you mean by light! IMHO it needs to be lighter than 9lb to qualify as light, whereas I've bought basses off Basschat whereby owners have made claims of 'featherweight' and 'the lightest bass I've ever owned'... one can only assume that the latter comment was from someone economical with the truth, who has only ever owned one bass as the bass in question was closer to 11lb!

The Fender Precision Lyte basses are pretty light and many of the new CV Jazz and Precision basses are around about 9lb (the two I've owned were just over). Though many claim that the Lakland Skylines 'can' be light I've yet to find one that is genuinely under 9lb (x2 DJ's were both way over 9lb and the JO was the 11lb offender). As has been mentioned there is the 'cricket bat' option and SOME hollowbodies (though beware some of them have solid cores and the extra large body size on some, really bumps the weight), such as the violin basses.

If your budget stretches you can find some very lightweight Warwick Streamer basses but they need to be the early to mid 80's ones; I have two, one of them is 7lb 7oz the other about 8lb. I also have a Zon Sonus which is 8.5lb.

The obvious which I'm sure you already do is to wear a nice wide strap.

Best of luck from a fellow sufferer. :)[/quote]

[quote name='thebrig' post='1054740' date='Dec 11 2010, 10:11 AM']I love it, looks great!
Where would I get one in the UK?
Not sure whether I could afford it though, but who knows,
once us bass nuts try something, we always seem to come up with the dosh somehow![/quote]

Ebay and the For Sale section here are the places to start looking, they do occasionally pop up at The Gallery with high price tags attached too!

As has been said, knowing the models is a start. The Key Factor (tuned at the headstock, 34" scale etc etc) is a good bass but I don't consider it a "true" Kubicki. The Ex Factor is the one to go for - all are headless, active and with a D-Clip extension on the headstock. The earliest Ex Factors through to the "crossover" models are the most sought after. These are all 18V with the six position preamp. The crossover models have the Fender Custom Shop stamp on the back of the headstock but are made with original parts before Fender took over production.

The "Fender Era" stuff sells for a little less, and comes with a 9V preamp instead of the 18V with a couple less positions. These basses were still made by Phil and the team at Kubicki and were stamped with the Fender Custom Shop logo. They are still fantastic basses, although the earlier models are a little more "magical". Then after Phil bought the brand back from Fender he started making them with the original preamp again, although at a slower rate than earlier due to a downsized team.

Basically though, if it's an Ex Factor it should be awesome. I love mine! Phil is also the man when it comes to customer support. I think tone-wise, the other similar high tech basses of the 80's (Steinberger, Status Graphite, Schack, Modulus etc etc) just can't compete, the Kubicki knocks them into a cocked hat!

[quote name='owen' post='1055495' date='Dec 11 2010, 10:42 PM']Shame on you for not sharing the Bolin love.

They are pretty rare (not as in vintage and all that) but they come up now and again and are very light indeed. The fact that they have the best piezo tone ever (yes I stated that as a fact even though it is only any opinion) is a bonus as well.[/quote]

Let's be honest, we both know why I didn't mention the Bolin... because I'm buying the next one that becomes available! :)

Any way Owen, you're a bit late to the party here :) [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=114484"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=114484[/url]

I can strongly recommend the Ibanez SR600 - I bought one about 6 weeks ago, largely prompted by months of pain in my left shoulder - at it's worst I couldn't move my arm above shoulder height. My shoulder is now fine.

The SR600 is not only light, but balances well on the strap.

[quote name='Krysbass' post='1057240' date='Dec 13 2010, 01:14 PM']I can strongly recommend the Ibanez SR600 - I bought one about 6 weeks ago, largely prompted by months of pain in my left shoulder - at it's worst I couldn't move my arm above shoulder height. My shoulder is now fine.

The SR600 is not only light, but balances well on the strap.[/quote]

How does it sound ?

I want a light bass, but all the new ones I've tried are too modern sounding - I like an old school deep smooth tone for reggae, soul, jazz and funk.
My old Fender jazz has got the tone, but it weighs a ton.

I haven't tried an Ibanez yet.

[quote name='Krysbass' post='1057240' date='Dec 13 2010, 01:14 PM']I can strongly recommend the Ibanez SR600 - I bought one about 6 weeks ago, largely prompted by months of pain in my left shoulder - at it's worst I couldn't move my arm above shoulder height. My shoulder is now fine.

The SR600 is not only light, but balances well on the strap.[/quote]
Just found myself a SR500 in perfect condition for just £250!
Virtually the same as the SR600, but made of mahogany instead of ash.

[quote name='JimH' post='1057691' date='Dec 13 2010, 07:23 PM']+1 for these if the budget allows :-

[url="http://www.status-graphite.com/status/frames/streamline1.html"]Status Streamline[/url][/quote]
I would love one, but how much?

[quote name='thebrig' post='1057918' date='Dec 13 2010, 10:03 PM']I would love one, but how much?[/quote]

4-string is £1495, 5-string is £1625. That's before any customisation you may want. These are not basses you buy on a whim.

Mine is due for delivery in mid-March. :)

As to sound, Rob will put in whatever pickups you want. Mine will have a classic P/J configuration, but with the split P humbucker mounted inside a Musicman-type casing so you can't see it.

Wood is over-rated. :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1057993' date='Dec 13 2010, 10:55 PM']Wood is over-rated. :)[/quote]

I played your old Senator recently and that has a lovely woody sound that you won't get with your Streamline, whatever pick ups it's got - the Senator is lighter too.
The Streamline is a fab thing though and I really wanted to like it, but graphite is SO over-rated man :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1055690' date='Dec 12 2010, 08:56 AM']Let's be honest, we both know why I didn't mention the Bolin... because I'm buying the next one that becomes available! :)

Any way Owen, you're a bit late to the party here :lol: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=114484"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=114484[/url][/quote]

I think you will find it is uncool to be early or even on time to parties. I am there now :)

[quote name='thebrig' post='1057918' date='Dec 13 2010, 10:03 PM']I would love one, but how much?[/quote]

I have one of those as well. I have too many basses. I have issues.

I would recommend playing one first. It is not super comfy sitting down, it is slightly Flying V-esque in that it slides off your leg, and the way the strap sits means it hangs further to the right than a "normal" bass does. Also the smaller body means that your right hand wrist angle changes when sitting down. Make no mistake, it is an absolutely superb piece of kit, but for me, YMMV, it has meant a slight re-appraisal of what little technique I have. It does sound like one long string with very little tonal difference (in a really good way) between strings and is super light and easy to transport.

Edited by owen

[quote name='JimH' post='1057691' date='Dec 13 2010, 07:23 PM']+1 for these if the budget allows :-

[url="http://www.status-graphite.com/status/frames/streamline1.html"]Status Streamline[/url][/quote]

As much as I love Status Graphite stuff, I can't help but think this bass looks clumsy and sub-par. It has the look a melted lolly pop or a poorly carved boat paddle. Tone wise, it's got the modern Status sound nailed, but next to it's "cousin" the classic graphite Steinberger, it just looks sloppy. I know the classic paddle shaped Steinberger, so stark and aggressive, is not something Status can directly copy, but I had hoped their ultra-compact offering would be more attractive. I know these basses are typically chosen for convienience, not looks, but it really should be more aesthetically pleasing. They're also very expensive given Status's skyrocketing prices!

I have always looked to Status Graphite as being one of the best companies around, they should have been able to do a better effort than a Steinberger creation almost 30 years old!

[quote name='redstriper' post='1058025' date='Dec 13 2010, 11:27 PM']I played your old Senator recently and that has a lovely woody sound that you won't get with your Streamline, whatever pick ups it's got - the Senator is lighter too.
The Streamline is a fab thing though and I really wanted to like it, but graphite is SO over-rated man :)[/quote]

I wish you hadn't changed your avatar - I didn't recognise you at first!

That Senator is a lovely bass, but I'm not without it ... I still have two Presidents (a 1959 Sutcliffe and a 1965) so I still have that wonderful woody tone available on tap.

Trouble is, you can't play those basses on stage at modern gigging volumes. The feedback just gets uncontrollable. (IMHO of course.)

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1058078' date='Dec 14 2010, 12:11 AM']... but I had hoped their ultra-compact offering would be more attractive. I know these basses are typically chosen for convienience, not looks, but it really should be more aesthetically pleasing.[/quote]

A classic case of "eye of the beholder". To me, that Streamline is one of the most gorgeous instruments I've ever seen (and I normally tend towards 'traditional' rather than 'radical').

The clincher is when you first get to hold/play/inspect one (thanks Trev / G-77) and you see what a piece of work it is.

Anything as different as this bass is going to be divisive, maybe even Marmite, so it's no surprise to find a range of opinions. :)

Look up Mo Clifton's Cherry basses (cliftonbasses.co.uk). They are shortscales, but mine is extremely light, but has plenty of power (its also passive, but Mo normally fits an Aguilar preamp). Part of the reason for this design was the back/shoulder problems that seem to hit bass players of a certain age.

Bass Collection - I sold mine precisely because it was so light, I'd got used to a Thumb and before that a Precision and I never felt comfortable with something so featherweight.

Hohner Jack might also be worth a look - a bit heavier than a B2A but because it's got a proper body, the neck positioning is better.

[quote name='redstriper' post='1057355' date='Dec 13 2010, 03:40 PM']How does it sound ?

I want a light bass, but all the new ones I've tried are too modern sounding - I like an old school deep smooth tone for reggae, soul, jazz and funk.
My old Fender jazz has got the tone, but it weighs a ton.

I haven't tried an Ibanez yet.[/quote]

The SR600 does sound quite modern and some people have said they couldn't live with its bright tone. But I moved to it after only playing more traditional basses fitted with P and J - type pickups for the last 25 years and I've found that the SR600's brightness is sufficiently tamed by just cutting the treble on the 3-band EQ. The SR600 has a strong bass presence too and I reckon it's actually very versatile in the tone department. I'm in the process of writing a full review on this bass which I'll hopefully be able to post on basschat shortly. :)

[quote name='redstriper' post='1057972' date='Dec 13 2010, 10:43 PM']Careful - I thought that until I tried one and didn't like the sound at all.

If you like a woody old school tone, you will be disappointed.

Looks great though and the quality is indisputable.[/quote]

If you want the 'old school woody tone' save yourself £1350 and buy an epiphone EB0.

If you want a bass that you can 'hear' on stage buy a Streamline :)

And considering construction, I don't see how this bass could be made any better without encrusting it with jewels - maybe I have low expectations - played Fenders and MM's for years :)

Seriously though, this is horses for courses, if you've got a problem with the 'graphite' sound fair enough, however having used a Streamline in just about every setting over the last couple of years I've found the sound very versatile and far less harsh than I expected. If you want it to sound 'dub' or 'old school' use the eq!

Edited by martthebass

[quote name='martthebass' post='1058795' date='Dec 14 2010, 06:21 PM']If you want the 'old school woody tone' save yourself £1350 and buy an epiphone EB0.

If you want a bass that you can 'hear' on stage buy a Streamline :)

And considering construction, I don't see how this bass could be made any better without encrusting it with jewels - maybe I have low expectations - played Fenders and MM's for years :)

Seriously though, this is horses for courses, if you've got a problem with the 'graphite' sound fair enough, however having used a Streamline in just about every setting over the last couple of years I've found the sound very versatile and far less harsh than I expected. If you want it to sound 'dub' or 'old school' use the eq![/quote]

Ive had an EB-0 and found it too growly and clanky - not my scene at all and not fixable with EQ.

I also spent some time trying to EQ a smooth, woody old school tone from the Streamline, to no avail - I would love to hear a sample of your Streamline EQd to sound like a vintage Hofner or Fender.
If you can make it sound truly 'dub' like on an old King Tubby mix, I will think again.
To me, it's a modern bass with a modern sound and I appreciate it's incredible build quality, stunning looks and fantastic range of tones, but the sound and feel leave me cold.

And I've never had a problem hearing myself on stage with any bass - I simply turn the volume up :lol: