Why become a member? ×

Lightweight Bass?

thebrig

[quote name='JTUK' post='1053685' date='Dec 10 2010, 08:22 AM']Asking the obvious here...have you investigated whatever is causing you the pain in the first place..?[/quote]

Yes, I injured it at work about a year ago, and am still having physio. I've been told it could be permanent.
I know playing guitar is not helping it, but there's no way I'm giving that up, so I have no option other than finding a lighter bass, in the hope that it makes things a little easier

[quote name='thebrig' post='1053765' date='Dec 10 2010, 09:53 AM']What do they sound like, are they up there with standard Precisions?[/quote]
Not really. With them being an Active Bass in their original configuration, they're a bit more 'modern' sounding. I replaced the pick-ups on mine, as most people seem to do, and with a bit of 'tweaking' can get very close to the Precision Sound. It also has a Jazz pick-up, but it doesn't do the Jazz Sound very well at all. If you can get a sound you're happy with (I did) they're a nice, comfortable Bass to play.

[quote name='dave.c' post='1053751' date='Dec 10 2010, 09:40 AM']Due to back and shoulder problems following a bike accident, I like to have my basses weighing in close to the 8lb mark, give or take a couple of oz's, as measured on my cheap luggage scales:
Gibson SGZ
Spector Rebop4 DLX EX Zebrano
1988 Alembic Persuader
1985 Vigier Passion II
Vigier Passion IV
Hoyer ‘EB3’
Cort GB64
Dean ‘BrianBromberg’ B2

I find all of them versatile enough to cover all my needs except perhaps for the Hoyer which is strung with flats and has it's own niche really, within which it does have some great tones.
If I had to go for one on sound, playability and all round loveliness, it would be the Vigier Passion IV, if sentimentality was bought into the equasion then the Alembic, but I could live and gig with any one of them as my only bass (Luckily I don't need to, and can have then all!)

Also have a Hohner B2A which at 7 lbs.. ish is the lightest but due to the way it hangs further to the left, isn't the best for a bad shoulder as the reach to the lower frets is greater.

Surprisingly my Warwick Thumb BO Fretless weighs only 9 lbs which isn't so bad considering the rumours of Warwicks huge weight! less than a lot of Fenders and their derivatives.

Hope this helps, if you are around my neck of the woods then do come round for a cuppa and try them out.

Dave[/quote]
A little too far I'm afraid, but thanks for the offer, and I will certainly consider your recommendations.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1053698' date='Dec 10 2010, 08:43 AM']Get an old 80's Steinberger![/quote]

Arent they meant to be suprisingly heavy?

Lightest bass I've ever owned was an old passive Rockbass Corvette. Shame about the pups, it didnt have much punch.

Edited by Wil

[quote name='BigAlonBass' post='1053788' date='Dec 10 2010, 10:15 AM']Not really. With them being an Active Bass in their original configuration, they're a bit more 'modern' sounding. I replaced the pick-ups on mine, as most people seem to do, and with a bit of 'tweaking' can get very close to the Precision Sound. It also has a Jazz pick-up, but it doesn't do the Jazz Sound very well at all. If you can get a sound you're happy with (I did) they're a nice, comfortable Bass to play.[/quote]

i cant comment as i havent spent long playing a standard precison, yes they are active, but i have always been happy with the sound i bought it years ago and has stayed with me since

mainly as it light and comfortable to play, i used to play guitar so the body shape didnt take long to get used to, i also like the small narrow neck as i tend to play alot of runs across the 4 strings and have been known to through a few solos in from time to time

what pickups did you swap your for ???

I may be biased but my two Sei basses are very lightweight - mainly because they are made of ash and maple - so I think body woods are definitely a factor here - my trusty old 1990 Thumb bass was made of Bubinga and wenge and weighed a ton and the longer I played it, the more I noticed the weight and its affect on my left shoulder and how it was beginning to hurt after long rehearsals and gigs. Loads of great suggestions here but going down the custom route and getting a bass made with lightweight woods could be the best possible way to sort this situation out in the long term. Just my thoughts.

M

To overcome my shoulder problem I have a Hofner violin bass and a Hohner B2A.
I mainly use the violin bass because the long scale of the B2A means I have to stretch more which puts more strain on the shoulder muscles. I also play further up the neck so that my arm is nearer to 'straight on' if that makes sense.

Strangely enough I use a Trace Elliot rig as lifting heavy weights doesn't bother my shoulder! I'm hoping that my appointment with a Orthopaedic Consultant might shed some light.

Every new bass or bass amp sold should come with a free physio voucher!!

When I was having a particularly bad time with my shoulder a couple of years back I tried a few lightweight basses. I found balance to be just as important. For example, my old Warwick thumb was 9lbs dead but it was a bit neck heavy and this along with the stretch to fret one set my shoulder aching nicely. The Stingray 30th isn't a lightweight (about 9.5lbs) but balances great and I find ok for a 45minute set.

In the end I sold a few bits and pieces and bought a used Status Streamline - 7lb and the neck stays where ever you place it. The most comfortable bass I've ever had and happy with 2 hour sets if necessary. Probably never sell this (unless a nicer Streamline comes along) for this reason alone.....but yes looks more like a bat than the Stingray does if that bothers you.

I made the move to short scale basses for the same reason as the OP, and I've never regretted it, ever. After 20 years of playing it was the right move to do. I did hover over it for ages though, but now know it's the right choice for me. I use two SX basses, a P and a J which I've modded slightly because they were so cheap. I can get all the tone I need from them just as I could out of the bigger brothers. No contest.

[quote name='urb' post='1053911' date='Dec 10 2010, 11:48 AM']I may be biased but my two Sei basses are very lightweight - mainly because they are made of ash and maple - so I think body woods are definitely a factor here - my trusty old 1990 Thumb bass was made of Bubinga and wenge and weighed a ton and the longer I played it, the more I noticed the weight and its affect on my left shoulder and how it was beginning to hurt after long rehearsals and gigs. Loads of great suggestions here but going down the custom route and getting a bass made with lightweight woods could be the best possible way to sort this situation out in the long term. Just my thoughts.

M[/quote]

I might look into a custom made bass, thanks for the idea.
Did a four hour rehearsal last night with my bubinga corvette, suffering big time now!
It's the heaviest guitar I've ever picked up!
But it plays and sounds wonderful!

[quote name='thebrig' post='1053765' date='Dec 10 2010, 09:53 AM']What do they sound like, are they up there with standard Precisions?[/quote]

No, they don't sound anywhere near that bad. For a start, they have a humbucker at the bridge so they're useable in a band situation where you actually want to be heard!

As for the Steinbergers, they feel solid and well made but not heavy. Certainly not like, a Bubinga Corvette say!

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='1054030' date='Dec 10 2010, 01:57 PM']I made the move to short scale basses for the same reason as the OP, and I've never regretted it, ever. After 20 years of playing it was the right move to do. I did hover over it for ages though, but now know it's the right choice for me. I use two SX basses, a P and a J which I've modded slightly because they were so cheap. I can get all the tone I need from them just as I could out of the bigger brothers. No contest.[/quote]
I've definately considered the SX short scale models, as I have heard that they play and sound really good, and are very light.
Any idea where I might be able to pick one up? the only ones I have seen advertised in the UK are normally long-scale.
I have considered buying direct from the States, but all the new ones have that hideous headstock on them because Fender bullied them into changing the original shape.
If I did import one, does anyone know how much import tax would be added?
They cost around $140.

I have the same problem so I've been looking at the Dingwall range.

Not for everyone I know but they do seem to be lighter than most other basses and well balanced too.

Just to add regarding Warwicks. They aren't all heavyweights. My Streamer stage 2 is just about 9 lbs and the balance makes it a doddle to play for 2 hour sets.

Frank

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1053698' date='Dec 10 2010, 09:43 AM']Get an old 80's Steinberger![/quote]

OMG, I'm in shock!!! For once you had the perfect opportunity to big up the Kubicki ExFactor - which as we both know although a bit marmite, is very light, very ergonomically-shaped, and has a great range of sounds - and you opted instead for a Steinberger! :) :)

For the OP: you should also consider a Status, if you have a reasonable budget and don't mind their looks.

[quote name='matski' post='1054145' date='Dec 10 2010, 03:24 PM']OMG, I'm in shock!!! For once you had the perfect opportunity to big up the Kubicki ExFactor - which as we both know although a bit marmite, is very light, very ergonomically-shaped, and has a great range of sounds - and you opted instead for a Steinberger! :) :)

For the OP: you should also consider a Status, if you have a reasonable budget and don't mind their looks.[/quote]

Well, the Kubicki would be the ideal choice I'd say, as it is so light and so ergonomic. Sounds better than a Steinberger too; but in the event that you have to compromise and go for low weight over everything else a Steinberger is a fine choice. They do sound great after all! Easier to get hold of too!

Having broken my arm/shoulder a couple of years back, I know what you're going through.

+1 for the Rees - tried one at a show a while ago and it felt great.
Agreed with comments on Hohner B2A - nice n light but the neck that much further to your left makes it a bit of a stretch.
(Guess this could be remedied with the Steinberger device which attaches to the neck strap button but they are rare as hens teeth.)
Great to hear of a bit of Dano love too! My Dano Longhorn is really light & quite well balanced. Great for long
gigs - only one sound really, but its a good un.

Would recommend some good massage to help things along too - worked well for me.
Good luck.

[quote name='casapete' post='1054154' date='Dec 10 2010, 03:28 PM']Having broken my arm/shoulder a couple of years back, I know what you're going through.

+1 for the Rees - tried one at a show a while ago and it felt great.
Agreed with comments on Hohner B2A - nice n light but the neck that much further to your left makes it a bit of a stretch.
(Guess this could be remedied with the Steinberger device which attaches to the neck strap button but they are rare as hens teeth.)
Great to hear of a bit of Dano love too! My Dano Longhorn is really light & quite well balanced. Great for long
gigs - only one sound really, but its a good un.

Would recommend some good massage to help things along too - worked well for me.
Good luck.[/quote]
Yes, I agree with the massage idea, but was wondering what they mean by "extras" in the ads that I look at.

I think this picture of my first Kubicki Ex Factor really captures just how lightweight and chuckable they are...

I like how if you look in the mirror you can see the back of the neck, and how wonderfully comfortable it is. To think I was without an Ex Factor for a couple of years, absolute madness. Never again...

Edited by Chris2112

[quote name='thebrig' post='1054125' date='Dec 10 2010, 03:07 PM']I might look into a custom made bass, thanks for the idea.
Did a four hour rehearsal last night with my bubinga corvette, suffering big time now!
It's the heaviest guitar I've ever picked up!
But it plays and sounds wonderful![/quote]

There are loads of good UK luthiers across a variety of price ranges - but if you can afford between £1.5K and 2K then you should have a good deal of choice - you never know you might see a used one that ticks your boxes - I know the single cut design is something of an acquired taste (I have one and I love it but that's just me) but there is one used Sei at the Gallery right now - and having played this a few times I know it's super lightweight with a stunning tone and extreme playability:

[url="http://www.thebassgallery.com/product_details.cfm?ID=1612&type=Bass%20Guitar"]http://www.thebassgallery.com/product_deta...e=Bass%20Guitar[/url]

Anyway it's worth a thought - a custom bass is an investment but if you get it made to your spec and the way you want it, i.e. you specify that it must be lightweight, then it's definitely a good option - it's the way I went and I still feel having custom basses saved me time finding a bass that really matched up to what I wanted from an instrument.

M

Why have I not chipped in on this? Was I asleep?
Yep, The Hohner B2a is good.
Vigiers are [i]lovely[/i] and rarely heavy
Steinbergers are heavier, but the balance is soooooo good.
My recommendation?

Status Streamline.

Absolutely.
The last word in compact, playable, ergonomic basses. Lightweight, stable, and monstrous tone on tap.
Disadvantages? No good if you like the sound of wood, 'cos there ain't any!