Why become a member? ×

The waiting is over

obbm

Finally after 17-months of waiting I should take delivery of my new ACG tomorrow. :)

Diary is clear and I shall be in all day waiting for the door bell to ring. :) :lol:

Hope it doesn't snow again. :D

Edited by obbm

A significant amount of that time was spent designing and having machined the custom headpiece on the bass after both ABM and ETS said they would do it then didn't. This involved getting 3D drawings done and finding someone to machine it. Then a sample made for testing a few changes after seeing the sample. Getting the finish right which took two attempts before the right version was found. Then getting the 20 units finally done because getting one done is not even remotely viable. This set the whole project back a long way. I would like to thank Dave Perry for all his work in getting the headpiece sorted out without him it would have taken longer and cost a lot more.

Alan

Edited by skelf

OOoooo.....really looking forward to seeing the pictures of this one Dave...!!

As Alan said, the custom headpiece that your bass started off, was a mammoth task to sort out. For something so small, its amazing the amount of time and work that is required to get this sorted out. The 3d modelling and cad-cam for the unit is one thing, but the actual machining, anodising process and all the other elements involved to create it was eye opening. Lifes a great learning curve as my old Dad always says...!

Its a real testament to Alan for going down this route as its a massive outlay for him for effectively a small batch of units, but we end up with a truly custom bass.

17months is anything but the normal build time, but I know it will be well worth it :)

Enjoy playing with yer nobs Dave !!

Dave P

Edited by david_l_perry

I actually had to unpack the bass because I forgot to take any pics of it. And to further confirm how stupid I am I did not take one specifically of the headpiece. This is the first bass to use it and the build that got me in to custom hardware so a pic might have been in order.

Alan

Anyone interested in reading about ACG basses, please see the link in my signature, I've done a fairly in depth review of the Harlot singlecut I bought this year.

If I had to sum up ACG I'd say they are quite simply the best basses being made in the UK today. And with Wal and Status Graphite here that's a good effort! I recall reading recently that the bloke from Luthier's Access Group in the US had ordered an ACG to see what they were all about and he thought it was excellent. That's a good effort too, saying as the LAG has had some amazing basses there.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1052412' date='Dec 9 2010, 09:12 AM']Im sure these are great basses and worth every penny but to me they look ugly.

Each to his/her own though. I used to hate 3T Sunbursts until very recently.

No offence meant to anyone involved in their creation, ownership or OBBM, they just arent for me.[/quote]
Personally not being a massive s/c fan or that much into dark woods (which seem to be the most popular choices) I know what you mean but after you've actually held one in your hands and heard the quality of tone they produce you are like Hmmmm. Alan's basses would be one occasion where the word "awesome" wouldn't be an exaggeration.

Edited by Ou7shined