Why become a member? ×

one-off Public liability insurance

razze06

We've been booked to do a 40th birthday gig in a place we never gigged at before, and the organizers came back to us asking for our PLI certificate.
We don't have any, but we were planning to get all this sorted in the new year, after constituting the band as a business etc.

We still need to show a PLI certificate to the event organizers asap, so we thought we would go for a one-off cover for this particular event, which the organizer will pay for.

Any recommendations on insurers we can contact for this?

The rare occasion we have been asked for this I have always asked the people booking us to sort it for their event. This has usually happened because a venue wants to push their band on the bride/groom etc... but they have insisted on us.

I know not a direct answer to your question but my experience of it.

I've had this with a friend and sometimes venues don't do it directly, expecting you to get involved. They have one off deals from about £30 online if you google one off Public Liability Insurance. Personally I have it through my gear insurance but if I didn't this is what I would use

At the start of the year we were asked to play a covers gig and needed PLI. We could get it one off for about £30 or 12 months cover for about £75 or £80, and we knew it would be likely that more would come up throughout the year. Think we ended up playing 4 or 5 this year so it worked out that we saved money on getting one off cover. Something to think about.

[quote name='Dubs' post='1050324' date='Dec 7 2010, 11:05 AM']At the start of the year we were asked to play a covers gig and needed PLI. We could get it one off for about £30 or 12 months cover for about £75 or £80, and we knew it would be likely that more would come up throughout the year. Think we ended up playing 4 or 5 this year so it worked out that we saved money on getting one off cover. Something to think about.[/quote]

Good to know. What insurer did you get iyours with? Can you get this kind of cover even if your band is not consituted as business or any other official form?

[quote name='Dubs' post='1050324' date='Dec 7 2010, 11:05 AM']At the start of the year we were asked to play a covers gig and needed PLI. We could get it one off for about £30 or 12 months cover for about £75 or £80, and we knew it would be likely that more would come up throughout the year. Think we ended up playing 4 or 5 this year so it worked out that we saved money on getting one off cover. Something to think about.[/quote]

We had the same sort of quote and it just didn't make sense for us to go with the 'one off' cover.
We got ours through Zurich - it covers some instrument/equipment damage as well.

Edited by icastle

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1050265' date='Dec 7 2010, 10:18 AM']Personally I have it through my gear insurance but if I didn't this is what I would use[/quote]

Does this cover your whole band though, or just you? A lot of public liability insurance bundled with musical instrument insurance only covers accidents/injuries caused by that specific band member.

This for instance, from Musicguard:

[i]We can confirm that if you are insuring the equipment, the policy for administrative purposes would have to be in one band members name and this person would automatically get £1,000,000 public liability cover, [b]however this would only cover any accidents or injuries caused by this band member[/b]. The other band members could be added to this policy for an additional £54.00 per person for £1,000,000 cover.

Should you only wish to have public liability and not cover the equipment, this can be provided by our standalone liability policy called Liabilityguard, which is charged on a policy per person basis and starts at £99.00 each for £1,000,000. [/i]

Yeah I think it may have been through Zurich, not totally sure though as I'm not the one who dealt with it at the time. We're not registered as a business though as "we're not a covers band" but will do the odd bit here and there for friends and family or if the money is right...

EDIT: As far as I can remember, all band members are listed on the insurance details. I'll try and find out from our drummer who sorted it out.

Edited by Dubs

[quote name='Dubs' post='1050397' date='Dec 7 2010, 12:20 PM']Yeah I think it may have been through Zurich, not totally sure though as I'm not the one who dealt with it at the time. We're not registered as a business though as "we're not a covers band" but will do the odd bit here and there for friends and family or if the money is right...

EDIT: As far as I can remember, all band members are listed on the insurance details. I'll try and find out from our drummer who sorted it out.[/quote]

That sounds like the right option, let me know if you can find out anything more, especially who the insurer is :)

[quote name='razze06' post='1050255' date='Dec 7 2010, 10:12 AM']We've been booked to do a 40th birthday gig in a place we never gigged at before, and the organizers came back to us asking for our PLI certificate.
We don't have any, but we were planning to get all this sorted in the new year, after constituting the band as a business etc.

We still need to show a PLI certificate to the event organizers asap, so we thought we would go for a one-off cover for this particular event, which the organizer will pay for.

Any recommendations on insurers we can contact for this?[/quote]

I believe the MU/musicians union give their members PLI as a matter of course but that may only apply to that individual member and not a whole band.

[quote name='mybass' post='1050780' date='Dec 7 2010, 05:39 PM']I believe the MU/musicians union give their members PLI as a matter of course but that may only apply to that individual member and not a whole band.[/quote]

That appears to be correct. None of us is a member, so it would be too expensive just now.