Why become a member? ×

Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0-12T Combo

thebrig

I have a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0-12T Combo which I am very happy with.
I now want to add an extra cabinet, and the obvious choice is the Genz Benz STL 12T 300w cab,
but I would like to know whether the Genz Benz STL 210T 400w cab would be a better choice.
Which set-up would sound better, and which would be the loudest?

[quote name='thebrig' post='1048766' date='Dec 5 2010, 09:34 PM']I have a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0-12T Combo which I am very happy with.
I now want to add an extra cabinet, and the obvious choice is the Genz Benz STL 12T 300w cab,
but I would like to know whether the Genz Benz STL 210T 400w cab would be a better choice.
Which set-up would sound better, and which would be the loudest?[/quote]

Adding an STL 12T 300w cab will load your amp at 4Ω and provide it with the opportunity of delivering a full 600W.

You aren't going to achieve any extra output from using a STL 210T 400w cab, but you [b]will[/b] get a different sound - whether that's "better" or not is really a matter of taste - you'd need to try it to know for sure.

[quote name='thebrig' post='1048766' date='Dec 5 2010, 09:34 PM']I have a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0-12T Combo which I am very happy with.
Which set-up would sound better, and which would be the loudest?[/quote]

I added the 210T and the sound is awesome, really good blend between the 12in and 2 x 10in speakers. Plus your driving at the full 600w on the Shuttle 6, more than giggable for 90% of venues and requirements imo.

Plus you have the combo for smaller venues, total flexability.

Hmm, I've been looking at these Genz combos for quite some time now, and I haven't yet found another thing that portable and that lightweight..

While these things are the main priorities, I got a headache of choosing between 8" and 10" cab versions..

Its' a bit of shame that 10" combo is 60£ more expensive than 8" brother..

Well, 8" inch thing is even lighter, and that's good, but I've been thinking if there's [i]a lot[/i] difference in giving 'air' from different size speakers..?

I've been told that 8" combo works for practice/acoustic gigs, while 10" is more suitable for 'usual' gigs..
But does it differ that much?

I'm going to use my amp for gigs, (with loud drummers maybe) and only use it as a monitor, as there's always some kind of PA around.. Can I get away with 8" thing?

any thoughts welcome

cheers
Faith

[quote name='Faithless' post='1049055' date='Dec 6 2010, 10:02 AM']....I've been told that 8" combo works for practice/acoustic gigs, while 10" is more suitable for 'usual' gigs....[/quote]
I've never done a gig, even an acoustic gig, where a 1x8 cab would have been enough. I don't go through the PA so I have to fill the room and I don't think a 1x8 could do that well. I use a 1x12, not only for volume but mainly for the full tone that an unstressed speaker gives you. Also I've never done a "usual" gig where a 1x10 would have been enough.

You guys obviously push your gear harder than I push mine!

[quote name='thebrig' post='1048766' date='Dec 5 2010, 09:34 PM']....I have a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0-12T Combo which I am very happy with. I now want to add an extra cabinet, and the obvious choice is the Genz Benz STL 12T 300w cab, but I would like to know whether the Genz Benz STL 210T 400w cab would be a better choice. Which set-up would sound better, and which would be the loudest?....[/quote]
I'd suggest that you should try the 210 to make sure it works with the 112, but the main difference will be in the tone. Extra 10's will be punchier and extra 12's will be rounder. The volume for either will probably be pretty similar.

I used to run a 210 and 112 but now I mainly use 2 112's for convenience. With a little top added the sound of 12’s works just as well for me.

[quote name='Faithless' post='1049055' date='Dec 6 2010, 10:02 AM']Hmm, I've been looking at these Genz combos for quite some time now, and I haven't yet found another thing that portable and that lightweight..

While these things are the main priorities, I got a headache of choosing between 8" and 10" cab versions..

...[/quote]

When I went to Bassdirect to buy a shuttle combo a few years ago, I wanted to try the 8" version, but they basically said not to bother - the 10" was much better. So I don't know how different the sound is, but I bought the 10" and haven't looked back!

[b]100% get a Neox 212T [/b]like mine mate and a cover off fleabay you will have all the versatility you will ever need. I need to save up and get a 1x10 or 1x12 to acheive the same setup as you would have then. The 212T is brilliant the only thing that has come close or equal (except the genz is less cash) would be a pair of 1x12 Bergantinos to acheive a similar setup. A guy had a pair of purple chillis 1x12 with the same head and we ab'd them at a gig. They were in our FS section the next morning! Nuff said guys......

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1049861' date='Dec 6 2010, 09:53 PM']In addition, the new Genz 212T is vinyl covered.[/quote]

Er, no, the NEOX 212T is carpet covered.

I've gone a similar route, although not with the combo, as my amp love is in the TC direction.

So I've got a pair of TC RH450 heads, a STL10-T cab, and a NEOX212T cab. One head lives with the little cab, and is an easy move around for rehearsals & small gigs. The other head lives with the NEOX212T in a performance space, and comes with me to bigger gigs. And this way I always have a backup amp on hand.

And the pain of the, not inconsiderable, spend earlier in the year is now gone - replaced by the happiness of how easy it all is to move round, and how good it sounds!

[quote name='Alec' post='1050356' date='Dec 7 2010, 11:39 AM']Er, no, the NEOX 212T is carpet covered.[/quote]

Err, yep, sorry mate, it is! When I say new I mean the 'latest' versions - [url="http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=whatsnew"]http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=whatsnew[/url]

Or - [url="http://genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid=1436&sid=426&cid=96#"]http://genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid=143...426&cid=96#[/url]

They arent in this country yet, but that has made me like the 'look' of them even more.

They really are great cabs no matter what head your using, Anyone is welcome to have a try of mine if they are local. I dont think everyone realises how good and how loud a 600W shuttle and a 4ohm cab setup is or just how versatile the heads can become if you spend money on an array of cabs to suit all gigs.

I just have a Laney head as a backup, I have 3 leads in my bag Speakon-speakon, Speakon-jack and jack-jack. Thats all bases covered and both heads are fairly small and portable plus the Laney is cheap enough to leave in the van until (hopefully never) needed anyway. Sheer bliss.....

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1050441' date='Dec 7 2010, 01:47 PM']Err, yep, sorry mate, it is! When I say new I mean the 'latest' versions - [url="http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=whatsnew"]http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=whatsnew[/url]

They arent in this country yet, but that has made me like the 'look' of them even more.[/quote]

Ah, so they are! Only bought mine in the summer. Haven't had carpet covered cabs before (it replaced an 80s Trace 1210), and not really sure which I prefer. That said, I've seen vinyl start to tear, and carpet seems a bit more robust, even if it collects bits. And really can't decide if I prefer one grille over the other.

They do sound cracking, mind...

Anyone who fancies a play with mine, along with my RH450, in the Herts area is most welcome to pop over!

[quote name='Alec' post='1052798' date='Dec 9 2010, 02:24 PM']Ah, so they are! Only bought mine in the summer. Haven't had carpet covered cabs before (it replaced an 80s Trace 1210), and not really sure which I prefer. That said, I've seen vinyl start to tear, and carpet seems a bit more robust, even if it collects bits. And really can't decide if I prefer one grille over the other.

They do sound cracking, mind...

Anyone who fancies a play with mine, along with my RH450, in the Herts area is most welcome to pop over![/quote]

Plus 1! Vinyl looks great, but carpet is VERY strong and looks new for longer if you look after it.

[quote name='Faithless' post='1049055' date='Dec 6 2010, 10:02 AM']Hmm, I've been looking at these Genz combos for quite some time now, and I haven't yet found another thing that portable and that lightweight..

Its' a bit of shame that 10" combo is 60£ more expensive than 8" brother..

Well, 8" inch thing is even lighter, and that's good, but I've been thinking if there's [i]a lot[/i] difference in giving 'air' from different size speakers..?

I've been told that 8" combo works for practice/acoustic gigs, while 10" is more suitable for 'usual' gigs..
But does it differ that much?

I'm going to use my amp for gigs, (with loud drummers maybe) and only use it as a monitor, as there's always some kind of PA around.. Can I get away with 8" thing?

any thoughts welcome

cheers
Faith[/quote]

I have the T112 on loan right now and it's an awesome speaker - very light and portable but kicks out huge amounts of tone, I've also tried the 10" version and that sounds really 'full' as well - but as a long term investment in a cab that will cover more small to medium sized gigs I'd recommend the 12" wholeheartedly - I say a guy playing with the GB 6.0 + 12" combo with a 16-piece big band at an 800 capacity venue and that was more than kicking butt with that band.

Hope that helps - an 8" just won't handle the same frequency range as well IMO - a 12" is a great middle range size.

Thanks for your thoughts, Urb..

Well, you're right about 'long term investment' - that's exactly what I'm after right now, and as I've said before (or maybe didn't..) a few years later I'm planning to move to some [i]big [/i]city, where I probably won't have a car, so portability will be at the very first place, so, I think, 10" will be more than enough, and I'm willing to sarcrifice some 'air' (10 vs 12") for portability in this case..

Today I had to borrow an amp for a gig as I'm ampless at the mo, and I got a Warwick 25.1 combo.. Ok, it can be loud and whatever, but, F*ck that weight and size, I mean it!!!!! I do really hope to order and get my GB "10 combo next week, so that I don't need to lug those crazy 'heavyweight' amps aruond anymore..

[quote name='farmer61' post='1049039' date='Dec 6 2010, 09:28 AM']I added the 210T and the sound is awesome, really good blend between the 12in and 2 x 10in speakers. Plus your driving at the full 600w on the Shuttle 6, more than giggable for 90% of venues and requirements imo.

Plus you have the combo for smaller venues, total flexability.[/quote]
I think I will go and try both, thanks

[quote name='chris_b' post='1049131' date='Dec 6 2010, 11:38 AM']I'd suggest that you should try the 210 to make sure it works with the 112, but the main difference will be in the tone. Extra 10's will be punchier and extra 12's will be rounder. The volume for either will probably be pretty similar.

I used to run a 210 and 112 but now I mainly use 2 112's for convenience. With a little top added the sound of 12’s works just as well for me.[/quote]
I will go and listen to both setups.
cheers