Why become a member? ×

£950 for a new bass but no idea what to get....

NJE

I have £950 for a secondhand bass or two (could add some cash for the right instrument) and have absolutely no idea what I want. It is an odd feeling and I don't like it. I have been through the for sale forum and can't find anything that sets my world on fire although a couple of Precisions are quite tempting.

I have played almost every major brand and a few custom builders so I know what to expect from most brands but I still don't know what I want. I know what I don't want though which narrows things down a bit:

1. I don't want custom built because they loose their value, been there done that.
2. I don't trust vintage basses and don't know what to look for or what makes a good one.
3. I don't like satin or unfinished necks.
4. Not overly keen on rosewood fretboards.
5. I don't really like small bodied basses like warwick or Overwater Progress (they look daft on me)

Even with this criteria I have no idea. I just hope something presents itself soon or the money might go on bills and practical stuff. Worse situations to be in but its doing my head in.

Edited by NJE

Warwicks are ok, I did like my old one but the bodies are a bit too small for me and the string spacing is a bit tight. My bass at the moment is a 5 string Squier with full 19mm spacing and a massive neck, I love it.

I will mostly be playing Soul, Disco, Motown, Pop. I am in a Function band so need to cover a lot of styles. Stingray is high on the list but it needs to be an older one as I really dont like the satin neck, it needs to be glossy. A lot of my problem is aesthetics, the bass needs to impress me visually as I am terribly vein ha ha. Probably making up for the fact that I like like the hunchback of Notre Dame. :)

[quote name='Jam' post='1046193' date='Dec 3 2010, 11:59 AM']If I had that much money to spend on a second hand I'd probably go for a Warwick or a Stingray. I see you've said you don't like Warwicks though.

What kind of music are you going to be playing on it?[/quote]

I don't see the problem. I assume you have other basses, so aren't stuck for something to play. Put the money in a separate interest earning "bass fund" account, so it doesn't get frittered away & wait until something special comes along.

On the other hand, I know exactly what I want (a mint(ish) condition daphne blue 1966 mustang bass) but don't have any money to spare even I did find one for sale. How about we trade problems? :)

I really shouldnt complain, its not like I its a proper problem :) Its more that when I have no money I can usually find a handful of basses I wish I could buy then when i have cash I cant find anything. For the first time I have money and no GAS!

Yeah I have my trusty Squier deluxe V getting me by at the moment so not desperate for anything. Perhaps your right, stick it in my savings account so it doesn't get eaten by my house.

I picked up a s/h fender 1975 reissue jazz bass for that exact sum. It was in pristine condition and has a beautiful glossy finish, maple neck, a nice big body and they hold value really well. I never want to part with it so it's not for sale but they do come up now and again and I'd certainly recommend one.

Only issue for you may be that a jazz neck is not your cup of tea. I always had warwicks and a p bass before but found the slim jazz neck surprisingly easy to play.

[quote name='mrtcat' post='1046223' date='Dec 3 2010, 12:27 PM']I picked up a s/h fender 1975 reissue jazz bass for that exact sum. It was in pristine condition and has a beautiful glossy finish, maple neck, a nice big body and they hold value really well. I never want to part with it so it's not for sale but they do come up now and again and I'd certainly recommend one.

Only issue for you may be that a jazz neck is not your cup of tea. I always had warwicks and a p bass before but found the slim jazz neck surprisingly easy to play.[/quote]

75RI stuff is great and any CIJ Fender stuff in my experience.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1046205' date='Dec 3 2010, 12:12 PM']I don't see the problem. I assume you have other basses, so aren't stuck for something to play. Put the money in a separate interest earning "bass fund" account, so it doesn't get frittered away & wait until something special comes along.

On the other hand, I know exactly what I want (a mint(ish) condition daphne blue 1966 mustang bass) but don't have any money to spare even I did find one for sale. How about we trade problems? :)[/quote]

+1. If you're not desperate for a new bass, or sure what you'd go for if you were, then sit on it until you are.

Granted, not much fun for now, but when you see that thing you want in a years time and you think 'I've got the money for that' ...Wow.

Well I was in Cardiff over the weekend and went to the music shops and played as many basses as I could. Admitedly not a huge selection but still good fun as I have not been to the shops in Cardiff for a while. I know what to expect from custom built and high end stuff having owned Overwaters and having played GB basses and Sadowsky's etc. I have been to Bass Direct a few times and wasted plenty of Marks time in the past but I have not played Stingrays and Fenders for a while which seems a bit odd.

Anyway I was pleasantly suprised by a few basses, namely the Mexican Fender 50s Precision, and the American Standard series. Fender take a lot of criticism and admitedly the American made basses are overpriced in some shops but I was just blown away by the quality, sound and feel of the brand new American standard series. Ok no fancy woods and no active EQ which is a bit odd after my Overwater Jazz but still superb in every way. I am a huge fan of Fender Japan stuff but IMHO these new USA basses are superior and now seem to be cheaper second-hand.

The other huge suprise was the MIM 50's precision, what a bass, I couldnt believe it. £500 and just a lovely playing well built, massive sounding bass....There is one going on the list (along with a J pickup to go on the bridge). I just loved the neck shape and feel, superb!

Anyway, I didnt buy anything in the shops as they are far too expensive, but I picked up a new toy today, its Fender, its pretty, it was a massive bargain, and i am over the moon.......pics to come (and a 50s Precision)

[quote name='NJE' post='1048732' date='Dec 5 2010, 09:10 PM']The other huge suprise was the MIM 50's precision, what a bass, I couldnt believe it. £500 and just a lovely playing well built, massive sounding bass....There is one going on the list (along with a J pickup to go on the bridge). I just loved the neck shape and feel, superb!

Anyway, I didnt buy anything in the shops as they are far too expensive, but I picked up a new toy today, its Fender, its pretty, it was a massive bargain, and i am over the moon.......pics to come (and a 50s Precision)[/quote]

Is it a 50s Precision bass like this, because if it is, I would agree! [url="http://guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=06112213062018"]http://guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_det...=06112213062018[/url]

Really superb basses and if you stick some flats on, it'll rock the sh!t out of EVERYTHING!

Edited by skej21

[quote name='skej21' post='1048745' date='Dec 5 2010, 09:22 PM']Is it a 50s Precision bass like this, because if it is, I would agree! [url="http://guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=06112213062018"]http://guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_det...=06112213062018[/url]

Really superb basses and if you stick some flats on, it'll rock the sh!t out of EVERYTHING![/quote]

Yeah thats the one I played, I might have played a good one but what a superb bass, just brilliant. The build was fantastic and the neck felt amazing, its not what I bought but I am in the new year after I have let the new one settle in.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='1048757' date='Dec 5 2010, 09:31 PM']A nice old Stingray or a nice old Fender USA-something. You can't go far wrong and/or loose money, surely, even if it doesn't pan out.[/quote]

I totally agree, I have played and owned some lovely basses but I just wanted to strip things back and go back to where I started, Fender...and like you said, you can almost always shift a good Fender or MusicMan.

[quote name='skej21' post='1048745' date='Dec 5 2010, 09:22 PM']Is it a 50s Precision bass like this, because if it is, I would agree! [url="http://guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=06112213062018"]http://guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_det...=06112213062018[/url]

Really superb basses and if you stick some flats on, it'll rock the sh!t out of EVERYTHING![/quote]
Still got my 50s RI from the late 80s & I did indeed stick flats on it too :) The one bass I haven't sold on

[quote name='NJE' post='1048796' date='Dec 5 2010, 09:49 PM']Yeah thats the one I played, I might have played a good one but what a superb bass, just brilliant. The build was fantastic and the neck felt amazing, its not what I bought but I am in the new year after I have let the new one settle in.[/quote]

I own the same model (but I put a Tort. scratchplate on it). Mine is actually wearing away already because I've gigged it so much. My mates love it so much that they constantly nag me to let them use it for gigs too, so it's gigging even without me!

Since I put flats on though, it's been in a world of it's own. I bought mine at easter time, 2008 for £469 (new) and it's the best money I've ever spent on a bass, hands down!

I hope you manage to find another one as nice, because these are great, great basses. Good luck!!

Edited by skej21