Why become a member? ×

Is this where we admit being alcoholics and stuff?

Skol303

Greetings fellow basschatters...

Just saying "hello" and introducing myself, as seems to be customary for us newbies!

I played bass throughout my teenage years in a band that could only be described as "Slayer meets Half Man Half Biscuit". Yeah, we sounded as bad as you're imagining right now... After selling my gear and moving north to Manchester, I spent over 10 years in a bass-less wilderness (working as a music journalist for some of it) before finally deciding to pick up a 4-string again very recently: an old Ibanez EDB600, which I bought second hand.

I've certainly caught the bug again and am finding this website damn useful for getting back up to speed with all things bass-related.

Musically, I'm a home studio 'tinkerer' - no hardware, just running Reason & Record (software) to make dub, drum'n'bass, dubstep - generally anything with a sizeable bottom end (ooh matron!). If my wife hates it, then I know I'm generally on the right track... though I did produce a Lady Gaga remix for her, just to prove that my music doesn't always have to sound like someone shaking a bag of spanners while revving a chainsaw.

My bass heroes? Those would have to be:
- Cliff Burton of (Metallica); yeah, predictable but heh, he's the reason I first picked up a bass!
- Horace Panter (The Specials)
- Aston Barrett (The Wailers)
- Si John (Reprazent)

... I'm also being increasingly blown-away by Billy Sheehan (Mr Big). Not my choice of hairstyle or music per se, but he can sure play that bass.

Favourite toy of the moment is my Vox Amplug: a brilliant (albeit crappily made) little device that plugs straight into your bass jack socket and replicates the sound of a Vox amp through headphones. The neighbours will thank me for it in time...

Right. That'll do I reckon... looking forward to talking sh1t with you all!

Paul (aka Skol303)

[quote name='Skol303' post='1044105' date='Dec 1 2010, 05:54 PM']to make dub, drum'n'bass, dubstep - generally anything with a sizeable bottom end (ooh matron!).[/quote]

Ahh a man after my own heart! Welcome to the forum :) But be prepared to say goodbye to any money you had in your bank account, as your room starts to fill with more and more toys :)

Cheers folks! There seems to be a good community around this website, so I'll no doubt be picking your various brains for tips and advice along the way.

"Mmmmm, brains!!"

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='1044129' date='Dec 1 2010, 06:29 PM']...be prepared to say goodbye to any money you had in your bank account, as your room starts to fill with more and more toys :)[/quote]

^ You're not wrong there!! I've already made my first purchase via the Marketplace on this site (Morley wah pedal), so that's me on the slippery slope to bankruptcy...