Why become a member? ×

Buzzing bridge saddle?

lee4

When I had Elixir strings on my Status,I noticed a rattle the E string when played acoustically.Now I have changed back to Elites it is still there.
Noting transfers when amped up,but it's really annoying.
I've checked a few other threads on this sort of thing,and so far I have checked the truss rod,tightened it slightly,made sure that the break angle of the string is OK,checked the pickup screws and made sure the saddle screws are in contact with the plate.
Any solutions?

I had this on my p bass that I've just put together. It was on the E and A strings. Yesterday I had all the saddle screws out and cut them down as I hate having them protruding above the saddles.

I noticed today that the E string is now rattle free. So maybe it is something to do with the saddle screws, still a buzz/rattle on the A string.
Like you I've checked everything.

I recal someone posting about this before and saying that it was one of the springs within the bridge that was the cause.

Hope you get it sorted. I'll let you know if I cure the A string on mine.

Quite often this is actually the string rattling in the nut as the string is slightly lighter gauge than the slot in the nut. A good bass can pass the vibrations through the body and they can be amplified to the ear sounding like they come from totally different places.

I only say this as I was convinced for 6 months I had the same issue.

Play the string as you usually do to cause the rattle, but softly put a tiny bit of pressure on the string behind the nut (between nut and machine head) to ensure the string is bot moving in the nut.

If it eliminates the rattle it's the same issue I had... Use a slightly heavier string. If it doesnt stop the rattle then please disregard everything I said as I'm clearly wrong! :)

Yep - couple of things to look out for - one is the strings break angle over the nut. Winding the strings downwards onto the posts helps get the best angle thus the string will tend to sit firmer in the nut slot. If theres room for the string to move in the slot then u can get a buzz.
On the saddles, it can only take a tiny burr of metal at the saddle groove to cause a buzz, so if u have a set of needle files then make sure the groove is smooth and slightly angled back. It can only be a few things:
1) Buzz on a high fret
2) Vibration in the nut slot
3) Vibration in the saddle slot
4) Loose part - such as saddle spring or truss rod
5) Loose teeth or dentures inadvertently resting on the body of the bass when playing.
Hopefully you can rule out the latter.

I should mention that it only happens on fretted notes,and never happened before using the Elixirs.
I don't belive that the truss rod is loose,and the nut looks fine.The saddles have no springs on them,and I use Dentigrip!Could it be sympathetic vibrations from my replacement hip?Or my zimmer frame rattling?

Maybe if the new strings were a different gauge, a little lighter and exerted a little less pull on the headstock, that would cause the neck to have a little less relief and the action would be a bit lower, hence you're starting to get a bit of fret buzz. If its only on fretted notes then my speculative theory would start to make sense.
Solution: loosen the truss rod a tiny bit to compensate, and put a bit more relief back into the neck to raise the action slightly.