Why become a member? ×

What eBay Has Taught Us

Macko1968

[quote name='tino' post='1042644' date='Nov 30 2010, 05:39 PM']I couldnt get £550 on the same bass,in virtually as new condition....must see wot happens on the bay[/quote]

I bought my 51 RI P for £400 on eBay a couple of years back, sold it on here for £400 a few weeks ago. They were mostly selling in the £350-£400 range till Fender took them off the market, then the £500+ BIN's started and I haven't seen one sell since.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='1044424' date='Dec 1 2010, 10:23 PM']Putting a Gibson logo on a bass that looks nothing like a Gibson is a good idea. [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Matsumoku-Westone-Spectrum-bass-guitar-Japan-85-Black_W0QQitemZ320621800322QQcategoryZ4713QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DDLSL%252BSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%252BDDSIC%26otn%3D8%26pmod%3D120654289830%252B120654289830%26po%3D%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5338709543184181872"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Matsumoku-Westone-Sp...709543184181872[/url][/quote]
Amaze. :)

J.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='1044424' date='Dec 1 2010, 10:23 PM']Putting a Gibson logo on a bass that looks nothing like a Gibson is a good idea. [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Matsumoku-Westone-Spectrum-bass-guitar-Japan-85-Black_W0QQitemZ320621800322QQcategoryZ4713QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DDLSL%252BSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%252BDDSIC%26otn%3D8%26pmod%3D120654289830%252B120654289830%26po%3D%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5338709543184181872"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Matsumoku-Westone-Sp...709543184181872[/url][/quote]

And adding the word 'rare' - are Spectrum's actually rare?

That's a dreadful listing. Reasonable quality pictures, evidence from the neck plate that this is a genuine Matsumoku, attributed excerpt from magazine giving history, and mentioning of the incorrect Gibson decal - there's buggerall to take the piss out of.

Incidentally, harking back a few posts, I often go looking for fretlesses. My search term is (fretl*,frettl*) which probably doesn't get them all as there's bound to be some fretelesses and some fecklesses, but it does pick up the ones with random numbers of tees and esses.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1043748' date='Dec 1 2010, 01:38 PM'].

Also, that you can add at least 10% to the value of any bass by saying "never gigged".[/quote]

I wonder why this is seen by some sellers/buyers as a plus point. Maybe cos I actually like 2nd hand gear (all 3 of my MIA Precisions were 2nd hand) but I don`t care if a bass I buy has done a 1000 gigs, as long as it plays well, has no crackles on the electrics, and stays in tune.

Maybe I`m just not picky enough!

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1044936' date='Dec 2 2010, 12:33 PM']I wonder why this is seen by some sellers/buyers as a plus point. Maybe cos I actually like 2nd hand gear (all 3 of my MIA Precisions were 2nd hand) but I don`t care if a bass I buy has done a 1000 gigs, as long as it plays well, has no crackles on the electrics, and stays in tune.

Maybe I`m just not picky enough![/quote]

In a way, never gigged is a turn off, as it's quite likely to have never been set up or cleaned either, or it's been stuck in a loft for 10 years and the control cavity's full of spiders. No offence to any bedroom-based onanists on Basschat, of course.

A listing should always commence with the phrase "And here we have...".

Any cosmetic damage must be referred to as "dings, and "dongs" or possibly "dinks" and donks" - research has shown that baby talk always makes broken sh!t seem less broken. It should then be pointed out that the dinks, dongs and chunks of missing paint and timber "do not effect the playing and sound in any way what so ever". "What so ever" should always be expressed as three separate words.

If the instrument has a missing string, do not attempt to replace it. You should point out the fact that it has a missing string, but reassure your purchaser that a suitable replacement can be obtained on Ebay for a pound. The same restoration advice can be used for most other missing components, with the possible exception of the Kneck/Arm/Handle. If the Kneck/Arm/Handle is missing from the Base Guiter you wish to sell, it's appropriate to describe the remaining component as "fully loaded".

J.

Also of enormous value and a significant enhancement to any bass is an illegible scrawl in thick black felt-tip pen.

This can be described as "personally signed by Joe Clash of the Strummers".

The fact that your bass was made in 2003 and The Strummers last had a hit before you were born is irrelevant.

The fact that Joe Clash actually died before your bass was made is irrelevant.

The fact that Joe Clash played rhythm guitar, not bass, is irrelevant.

The illegibility of the signature proves that it's genuine.

Or something.

Edited by Happy Jack

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1046009' date='Dec 3 2010, 09:19 AM']Also of enormous value and a significant enhancement to any bass is an illegible scrawl in thick black felt-tip pen.

This can be described as "personally signed by Joe Clash of the Strummers".

The fact that your bass was made in 2003 and The Strummers last had a hit before you were born is irrelevant.

The fact that Joe Clash actually died before your bass was made is irrelevant.

The fact that Joe Clash played rhythm guitar, not bass, is irrelevant.

The illegibility of the signature proves that it's genuine.

Or something.[/quote]

There was someone trying to sell a six string guitar, claimed to be signed by Noel Gallagher, for over £2500. It was the very lowest end Epiphone bolt-on sub LP style guitar, which costs about £130 new.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1045865' date='Dec 3 2010, 12:41 AM']A listing should always commence with the phrase "And here we have...".

Any cosmetic damage must be referred to as "dings, and "dongs" or possibly "dinks" and donks" - research has shown that baby talk always makes broken sh!t seem less broken. It should then be pointed out that the dinks, dongs and chunks of missing paint and timber "do not effect the playing and sound in any way what so ever". "What so ever" should always be expressed as three separate words.

If the instrument has a missing string, do not attempt to replace it. You should point out the fact that it has a missing string, but reassure your purchaser that a suitable replacement can be obtained on Ebay for a pound. The same restoration advice can be used for most other missing components, with the possible exception of the Kneck/Arm/Handle. If the Kneck/Arm/Handle is missing from the Base Guiter you wish to sell, it's appropriate to describe the remaining component as "fully loaded".

J.[/quote]
Haha nice one. :)

It's the overly presumptuous opener of "You are buying....." that bugs me the most.

Jedi mind tricks obviously ensure a purchase by the weak minded on ebay.

Of course, if you're looking at this auction, you already know "what this is"/"how good these are". Despite this presumption of foreknowledge, I will continue to tell you, at great length, where it was made, how rare it is, how well it plays despite the missing string, how much these have gone for in my coke-fueled dreams and anything connecting it with Matsumoko or Ibanez that I can crib from someone called Bassaspirin on Basechat.

[quote name='spinynorman' post='1046189' date='Dec 3 2010, 11:55 AM']...how much these have gone for in my coke-fueled dreams and anything connecting it with Matsumoko or Ibanez that I can crib from someone called Bassaspirin on Basechat.[/quote]

...and by leaving out the swearwords that would probably equate to...
:)

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='1044037' date='Dec 1 2010, 05:06 PM']If you've added "Fecker Jizz Bass" decals to your Johnny Brook copy, then you should spend half your ebay listing congratulating yourself on your keen sense of humour having created this "hilarious" bass, and of course you should price it at £200 or more.[/quote]

Oh feck - that's another one of my basses you lot have ridiculed. I dread to think what you are going to say about my Fender Stratocaster Bass. :)

[quote name='tazza1' post='1046394' date='Dec 3 2010, 02:38 PM']Oh feck - that's another one of my basses you lot have ridiculed. I dread to think what you are going to say about my Fender Stratocaster Bass. :)[/quote]

They're rubbish they are.
You wanna get a Stradivarius Precision Bass like what I've got - *totally* rare and never gigged... wanna buy it? :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1046410' date='Dec 3 2010, 02:46 PM']They're rubbish they are.
You wanna get a Stradivarius Precision Bass like what I've got - *totally* rare and never gigged... wanna buy it? :)[/quote]

Let me think about it but are you sure it's not the cheaper Stradivarius [b]Percussion[/b] Base? A lot of people make that mistake.

Would you swop for my Marlin Percussion Base - it's worth more than yours cos it's got a genuine [b]Squire[/b] transfer on the end bit.

[quote name='tazza1' post='1046430' date='Dec 3 2010, 03:06 PM']Let me think about it but are you sure it's not the cheaper Stradivarius [b]Percussion[/b] Base? A lot of people make that mistake.

Would you swop for my Marlin Percussion Base - it's worth more than yours cos it's got a genuine [b]Squire[/b] transfer on the end bit.[/quote]

I don't need to tell you because, as you're reading this you will already know, the Stradivarius Precison Bass (as certified by 12 music industry experts) was made in the Matsumokumushipea factory and is a *RARE* and *SUPERB* ungigged example of the high quality craftyship that they was [s]reknown[/s] [s]renoun[/s] famous for.

[quote name='icastle' post='1046446' date='Dec 3 2010, 03:23 PM']I don't need to tell you because, as you're reading this you will already know, the Stradivarius Precison Bass (as certified by 12 music industry experts) was made in the Matsumokumushipea factory and is a *RARE* and *SUPERB* ungigged example of the high quality craftyship that they was [s]reknown[/s] [s]renoun[/s] famous for.[/quote]

No-one could shape plywood like those Japanese [s]geenyus[/s], [s]jeanius[/s], craftsmen!
Hold on though wasn't the Stradivarius made in the Czech republic? Are you sure this is genuine?

[quote name='tazza1' post='1046596' date='Dec 3 2010, 05:23 PM']No-one could shape plywood like those Japanese [s]geenyus[/s], [s]jeanius[/s], craftsmen!
Hold on though wasn't the Stradivarius made in the Czech republic? Are you sure this is genuine?[/quote]

I am shocked that you could even suggest such a thing.
The 12 experts who have looked at it have all said it is the genuine artikal and worth $2000...

------------------------------------------
To: Chuck Ngwamonoma

Subject: Stradivarius Precison Bass

Hellos to you my greeting friend!
To your most excellent query, I can confim that this is indeed a most excellent item with genuine features attached.
It is for you that it is 2000 dollar.
If people tell you otherwise they are not truthful and loyal.
-----------------------------------------

[quote name='icastle' post='1046949' date='Dec 3 2010, 11:30 PM']I am shocked that you could even suggest such a thing.
The 12 experts who have looked at it have all said it is the genuine artikal and worth $2000...

------------------------------------------
To: Chuck Ngwamonoma

Subject: Stradivarius Precison Bass

Hellos to you my greeting friend!
To your most excellent query, I can confim that this is indeed a most excellent item with genuine features attached.
It is for you that it is 2000 dollar.
If people tell you otherwise they are not truthful and loyal.
-----------------------------------------[/quote]

I've just had my Marlin Percussion valued by the top experts at Crack Converters, it was a bit of a shock really, they said they had never seen such
a pile of junk in their lives (which is a bit rich really considering the quality of the goods they sell).
I explained that the previous owner had told me the bass was a one off special edition (one of only 1,000,000 ever made) but they were adament
that it is worthless & I've got to believe them because they really know their stuff don't they?
So I'm afraid the deal is off unless you want a straight exchange for my Fecker Jizz Bass. Go on - you can have hours of fun showing people the logo
on your paddle thingy.

[quote name='tazza1' post='1046990' date='Dec 4 2010, 12:38 AM']I've just had my Marlin Percussion valued by the top experts at Crack Converters, it was a bit of a shock really, they said they had never seen such
a pile of junk in their lives (which is a bit rich really considering the quality of the goods they sell).
I explained that the previous owner had told me the bass was a one off special edition (one of only 1,000,000 ever made) but they were adament
that it is worthless & I've got to believe them because they really know their stuff don't they?
So I'm afraid the deal is off unless you want a straight exchange for my Fecker Jizz Bass. Go on - you can have hours of fun showing people the logo
on your paddle thingy.[/quote]

This is a most tempting offer for the item.
Unfortune-ately, I do not have myself the money to pay for the item.
My uncle has money that was confiscated by the government here after the coup but not all of it was taken.
He has $5M in a most secret account and says that he will pay you one million dollar for the item.
He will transfer $2M to your bank account if you will wire the $1M dollar back to him.

We just need your bank account details and your PIN number and we will sort this out with the utmost importance.