Why become a member? ×

Eminence and Beyma speakers

fryer

Hi, I would like some help please.

I have a TC RH450 head - 450 w at 4 ohm. I have bought two purple chili 1 x 12 cabs, which have Celestion 12" 300 w speakers.

I want to upgrade these and was thinking of putting an Eminence 3012 LF, 450 w, in one cab, and a Beyma 605 ND, 125 w, in the other. They are both 8 ohms.

I would seal the ports on the Beyma cab.

The RH only has one speaker outlet, so you wire to one cab, then to the other.

So if I took the output to the Eminence cab first, would I need a crossover or something to restrict the wattage to the Beyma ?

Richard

[quote name='jonthebass' post='1039719' date='Nov 28 2010, 11:01 AM']....I know this may not be what you're thinking but I would suggest you sell the P.C. cabs and buy 1 or 2 that will do what you want....[/quote]
+1

What don't you like about the PC cabs?

I don't know if the replacements will sound any good, but I think you are making things difficult by choosing 2 different speakers. It seems to me that 2 the same would be the best option after Jon's suggestion.

[quote name='jonthebass' post='1039719' date='Nov 28 2010, 11:01 AM']Hi Richard,
I know this may not be what you're thinking but I would suggest you sell the P.C. cabs and buy 1 or 2 that will do what you want...
What about the Barefaced Big Baby?

It would potentially save a lot of headaches.

ATB,
Jon[/quote]

I did look at the Barefaced cabs, but, sorry Alex, I wasn't impressed with the finish. This would give a similar configuration, but in two separate cabs.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1039746' date='Nov 28 2010, 11:25 AM']+1

What don't you like about the PC cabs?

I don't know if the replacements will sound any good, but I think you are making things difficult by choosing 2 different speakers. It seems to me that 2 the same would be the best option after Jon's suggestion.[/quote]

Well I could use 2 of the Eminence 3012 LF's, one in each cab, but they only go up to 2 k Hz.

The 3012LF needs a bigger enclosure with much larger port area to get the best from it whilst the 605Nd should be in a small sealed cab. You'd also need to build a suitable crossover, which is complicated, and the end result will be noticeably lower in voltage sensitivity without getting the upsides of the 3012LF due to the cab it would be in.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='fryer' post='1039712' date='Nov 28 2010, 10:53 AM']Hi, I would like some help please.

I have a TC RH450 head - 450 w at 4 ohm. I have bought two purple chili 1 x 12 cabs, which have Celestion 12" 300 w speakers.

I want to upgrade these and was thinking of putting an Eminence 3012 LF, 450 w, in one cab, and a Beyma 605 ND, 125 w, in the other. They are both 8 ohms.

I would seal the ports on the Beyma cab.

The RH only has one speaker outlet, so you wire to one cab, then to the other.

So if I took the output to the Eminence cab first, would I need a crossover or something to restrict the wattage to the Beyma ?

Richard[/quote]
You might be better off in the amps and cabinets forum, I'm not sure Alex has the time nowadays to answer a lot of questions other than those about Barefaced. there are some fairly experienced people there who won't answer on Alex's forum.

Whether you want to re-post or continue here you need to give a lot more information before anyone can really help.

What are the Celestion drivers you currently have in the cabs and what don't you like about their sound?

What sound are you trying to achieve? Why have you chosen these two drivers, are they something you already have or do you still have to go out and purchase them?

Are you up for selling the PC's and building your own cabs? If a cab has been optimised for a particular driver it is almost never optimum for another, so unless the cab is a real dog it is unlikely that you can upgrade the sound with a simple swap.

Using two different drivers is 'interesting' rather than wrong as a few people in these forums will sometimes tell you, IMO. As well as the technical problems you always get with multiple drivers you get a subjective rounding down effect where the characters of both speakers seem to disappear a little leaving a more neutral tone. You might be able to achieve what you want by replacing one speaker only.

Over to you.

Are you open to other suggested drivers?

[quote name='Alien' post='1062281' date='Dec 18 2010, 09:49 AM']If you're after a 12 + 6 cab, why not have a look at Greenboy's [url="http://lowdownlowdown.com/greenboy/DL/fEarful/12+6/_fEarful%2012+6.gif"]fEarful 12+6[/url]? Not too hard to build and you could finish it any way you like.

A[/quote]

+1 for the Greenboy suggestion.
Recipe for disaster doing what you first suggested.

After thinking abot this, I'm going to throw a curve in here.

I have 2 Zoot 1x12's, ( the forerunner of Purple Chilli), and I know Mike Walsh, who builds Zoot/PC, very well.
The Purple Chilli design is different from the Zoot design, but I also have an RH450 and can't get the sound I want.
I have had the Zoot's for nearly 3 years, they were part of the development process and I specified normal, rather than Neo drivers and when used with my Little Mark II sounded awesome.
I am seriously considering going back to using the MarkBass and it may just be that the TC/Purple Chilli combination just isn't right for you, (or me for that matter).