Why become a member? ×

Unbeliveable!!!!

birdy

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='118493' date='Jan 11 2008, 01:19 PM']...it appears to have the wrong saddles on the bridge.

He was challenged about this previously, and posted his (incredibly arrogant) responses on the listing.

Then, it magically disappeared and was relisted without the questions.

Nice one, Tune-o-matic...[/quote]

You gotta laugh haven't you. I don't know who's worse, the bloke no doubt making well over £10,000 on a bass, or the idiot who buys it, especially if as WoT suggests (and has been the case previously) the gnome in the attic isn't playing straight about his listing :)
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='118498' date='Jan 11 2008, 01:24 PM']And is it just me or do the screw holes for the bridge cover look very poorly done? I know Fender's QC is iffy, but that looks like my hamster did it with a Black and Decker :)
Chris[/quote]

Hey Chris,

I didnt realise that you and Hamster were so close :-)

Steve

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='118493' date='Jan 11 2008, 01:19 PM']...it appears to have the wrong saddles on the bridge.

He was challenged about this previously, and posted his (incredibly arrogant) responses on the listing.

This is the seller that our pal with the refin'd 74 Jazz is having "issues" with, isn't it?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190188059301"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=190188059301[/url]

Right or wrong saddles, the bridge alignment looks way out, anyway.

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='118522' date='Jan 11 2008, 01:48 PM']Right or wrong saddles, the bridge alignment looks way out, anyway.

Jon.[/quote]

Agreed, if you look at the bridge, the holes for the bridge cover, and the bridge PUP, they certainly don't seem to be well aligned with each other. It's sometimes hard to tell with a Jazz due to the nasymmetrical body, but it does'nt look right either way
Chris

I wonder if there's a workshop in the 'States somewhere, turning out 'Vintage Fenders'...

I mean, if you *really* knew your stuff, would it be convincing enough to fool everyone?

Like 'Identity Theft' for guitars...

If you could find out that a particular serial numbered guitar was no more... then make a new one.

They say that anything can be copied. Like I say, just a thought :)

I see what you mean. [url="http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1966-Fender-Jazz-Bass-SUPER-RARE-FIREMIST-GOLD_W0QQitemZ150200343885"]http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1966-Fender-Ja...emZ150200343885[/url]

"My friend. Unlike you & Don. I actually have this bass in my hand. The saddles ARE threaded." Only of course any idiot can see they're not.

I might ask if he'll take payment in 9 bob notes.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='118522' date='Jan 11 2008, 01:48 PM']This is the seller that our pal with the refin'd 74 Jazz is having "issues" with, isn't it?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190188059301"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=190188059301[/url][/quote]

Ebay question about the said 74 Jazz:

[quote]Q: serial number?
A: Yes.[/quote]

LOL :)

[quote name='David Nimrod' post='118569' date='Jan 11 2008, 02:50 PM']I wonder if there's a workshop in the 'States somewhere, turning out 'Vintage Fenders'...[/quote]

I've heard there's a pretty large cottage industry in japan doing just that. There certainly are lots of vintage fenders around nowadays...

• 1 month later...

[quote name='David Nimrod' post='118794' date='Jan 11 2008, 07:14 PM']That was the gist of what I was thinking :)[/quote]

It's all these 40+ years old Fenders that are in mint condition that puzzles me. Where has that bass been for 42 years? I would think that normally you would expect to very occasionally see a bass that had been stored under someones bed for nearly half a century, but just lately they seem to be appearing quite frequently.

I think this has probably been mentioned before, but I can't remember....

Does anyone else think this 'merchant' might be matching up old necks with refinished bodies and a mixture of new and old hardware, if you look at this one and the infamous candy apple red one this would make some sense???

[quote name='Mr Cougar' post='144539' date='Feb 21 2008, 05:29 PM']I think this has probably been mentioned before, but I can't remember....

Does anyone else think this 'merchant' might be matching up old necks with refinished bodies and a mixture of new and old hardware, if you look at this one and the infamous candy apple red one this would make some sense???[/quote]

A discussion on another forum suggested that this might be the case... I can't remember the specifics, though.