Why become a member? ×

Genz-Benz Streamliner

Musicman20

[quote name='JTUK' post='1116257' date='Feb 5 2011, 09:57 AM']I personally dislike this type of pimping on forums but they aren't my house rules so....????[/quote]
That's a bit unfair on Alex, innit?

He's contributing to the discussion, and he mentioned a couple of other brands along with his own...

In the past I would just have said .....cks to it and bought one but Im definitely not that way now!

Its a marketing train crash for GenzBenz over on Talkbass as KJung has two successive amp failures within hours of getting them and he's pulled out completely and going for a refund!

What about the other customers? Surely KJungs not the only Streamliner user in the US? What is the failure rate with others or is it just a very unfortunate twist for GB?

Unbelievable how much clout he appears to have, I still want one!

[quote name='Flanker' post='1117376' date='Feb 6 2011, 08:46 AM']Its a marketing train crash for GenzBenz over on Talkbass as KJung has two successive amp failures within hours of getting them and he's pulled out completely and going for a refund!

What about the other customers? Surely KJungs not the only Streamliner user in the US? What is the failure rate with others or is it just a very unfortunate twist for GB?[/quote]
It's unfortunate indeed... The timing couldn't have been worse.

Genz have promised to report back when they've had a look at the dodgy units. Hopefully it's just an unfortunate coincidence of broken valves.

As for other customers, and how GENZ deals with them... it's too early to say wether it's a common fault yet. Let's not write the whole thing off.

I do know that when I had an issue with a Genz head a few years ago, the effort they put into sorting it out was incredible.

[quote]As for other customers, and how GENZ deals with them... it's too early to say wether it's a common fault yet. Let's not write the whole thing off.[/quote]

The point I was trying to make is that it may not be too early to identify the failure because it appears to be a problem related to the transport of the amps, how many others that have been delivered so far have had an early problem?

As I said I'm not writing it off at all, I'm almost certain to get one sooner than later, it sounds like a great amp. I have no doubt that GB delivers great customer service and I know Mark at BDirect well.

KJung appears to have acted in haste in my view regardless of his personal policies.

[quote name='Mog' post='1036679' date='Nov 25 2010, 06:02 PM']Fender Rumble, Earcandy sovereign, Orange Sp212 (small by 2x12 standards). Thats all I can think of. It is fairly limited.[/quote]

The fender rumble cabs although some websites havingbthe up as 500 watt are in fact only 150.. So I'd be careful with pairing lol

I can't believe GB would get this so wrong... and if they have had two failures to the same guy that is very unfortunate indeed.
They aren't an amateur set-up, of course, and have a proven record built up over time which would be carefully cultivated

But any bad pubilicity is undesirable...

hmmmm... watch this space

Plus one, watch this space. My hand was in my wallet almost putting a deposit down once I realised how low the prices were, plus the whole 'Walkabout with more power' had me sold.

However, I'm with KJung on this. Two failures is not good news. My current amps have been great, and I wouldn't want to risk selling one and getting another with reliability problems.

If we were in the US, I'd take the plunge and let Genz deal with failures.

But, here, we won't have the same close service. Yes, our stores will help out 100%, but it won't be as simple.

I think the whole 'swap the tubes' on a faulty unit is a little over the top...you just should not need to swap out tubes on new amps unless you want to. I've had amps with tubes, tube pre-amps, etc, and they've worked great.

I think Genz will sort this out...but I admit I'm wary. I have the same rule...if I am let down with new gear, I try another, then I give up.

Let's see what happens...personally I think the 3 threads of hype before release are a little over the top.

I was thinking about buying one of these and I know I'll probably get flamed for this but after reading TB, it's put me right off. I really want to like Genz gear but I had a GBE 750 that went kaput about 3 weeks after I sold it and that was just a month or so after Michael's (WofT) experience with his GBE750.

I dunno - I realise it could be coincidence and also that other makes have problems too but I put reliability above looks and sound.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' post='1115301' date='Feb 4 2011, 02:09 PM']Without googling i believe they might be from Barefaced, Markbass, Acugroove and probably Shroeder... i would also like to know wich ones is Alex refering to and their impedance.[/quote]

Epifani ? They take 1000w.