Why become a member? ×

Refinish my Modulus...what would be your bag...

bubinga5

Maybe wanting to refinish my Modulus Jazz in a different colour...Who is the cheapest and what sort of price are we talking (ball park)

i would like white but im not gonna cover the quilted maple...and the silver hard ware would be better black..IMO

The colour now is Sienna pictured..

The colors im un decided are..(sorry cant find em to show) you get the idea...

or any other ideas...

Amber
3TS
2TS
Orange crush
Cherry burst
Honey burst

any thoughts...

Edited by bubinga5

yeah i was thinking this as the Laky has the quilt in a natural....im thinking it would look frickin cool with this...but i think the hardware would be better black to match the neck..??

a bright QM orange would look great...i love the idea of a burst like this Viccars bass... full gloss too..

Edited by bubinga5

It'll cost you hundreds to get a good job done (and it'd be a crime to cut corners on a bass like that) and you will NEVER increase the value of the bass with a refinish... if anything it is a guaranteed value dropper!

So you are looking at spending several hundred pounds to change what is already a perfectly good colour and in the process you may well devalue the bass by as much as it costs to have refinished; it's a no-brainer for me that it should stay as is. Oh and I speak from experience. Having had several basses refinished to a spec/colour I like to find that I was never 100% happy with the bass and it was nowt to do with the colour.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1034245' date='Nov 23 2010, 07:13 PM']It'll cost you hundreds to get a good job done (and it'd be a crime to cut corners on a bass like that) and you will NEVER increase the value of the bass with a refinish... if anything it is a guaranteed value dropper!

So you are looking at spending several hundred pounds to change what is already a perfectly good colour and in the process you may well devalue the bass by as much as it costs to have refinished; it's a no-brainer for me that it should stay as is. Oh and I speak from experience. Having had several basses refinished to a spec/colour I like to find that I was never 100% happy with the bass and it was nowt to do with the colour.[/quote]

I semi agree with this. A good job will cost roughly £200 which is a lot to say it will indeed effect value. Ive seen refin basses fetch semilar money as to what it would without a refin, bit they tend to take a while to sell.

However if you plan on keeping it, and really want it done, nothing wrong with it in my eyes.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1034245' date='Nov 23 2010, 07:13 PM']It'll cost you hundreds to get a good job done (and it'd be a crime to cut corners on a bass like that) and you will NEVER increase the value of the bass with a refinish... if anything it is a guaranteed value dropper!

So you are looking at spending several hundred pounds to change what is already a perfectly good colour and in the process you may well devalue the bass by as much as it costs to have refinished; it's a no-brainer for me that it should stay as is. Oh and I speak from experience. Having had several basses refinished to a spec/colour I like to find that I was never 100% happy with the bass and it was nowt to do with the colour.[/quote]

Spot on

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1034257' date='Nov 23 2010, 07:20 PM']A good job will cost roughly £200[/quote]

£200 is a lot less than I paid for both my refins. You can get £200 jobs, but IME they look like they only cost £200, and when you look at them and touch them, they shout [size=5]REFIN[/size] at you :)

Personally, and I can speak form experience here, the refin bug is part of the GAS bug, You just need to buy something to do with bass. You have a bass you love, the PUP, bridge, preamp etc are all as good as they can be so no need to spend there, but, yes, I can get it refinned!

Leave as is dude. I hate that finish, but I have notoriously bad taste anyway!

C

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' post='1034176' date='Nov 23 2010, 06:15 PM']It looks great as it is! Leave it alone!:)[/quote]

+ another. It looks great as it is. You would be better off putting it up for a trade for a solid colour version as I bet there would be a lot of interest in your particular bass. Otherwise a decent refinish will cost upwards of £200.