Why become a member? ×

Wizard pickups

chrisd24

I have been looking at getting some new jazz pickups and from mainly what i have read on here i have wittled it down to wizards,but which ones?

So the 3 they sell are: 64's 84's and thumpers,the description on their website is a little vague (dark sound etc,i really dont know what that means!)so im hoping to use your actual experience to clarify the difference in sounds between them,and possibly even some sound clips to get a comparison? also im quite intrigued by their "74's" i know these arent a stock item but quite a few people on her seem to have them,a combination between the winds of 64's and the 74's.

im also going to possibly be usig these with a john east J retro,does anyone have any experience with pairing these pickups with a preamp?

Thanks for your invaluable advice in advance :)

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1034148' date='Nov 23 2010, 05:44 PM']I gave him a ring (I think it's Andy but don't quote me) & he was really helpful. Tell him your set up & what you want and he'll be really helpful. I left a voicemail & he rang me back in about 20 minutes. Very cool to deal with[/quote]

Sounds like their customer service is pretty good then,i will give them a call tomorrow, what pickups have you got Burrito just out of interest and how do you find them?

I had an 84 placed in a bridge position fairly close to the bridge, to replace a DiMarzio on my Marathon bass. The slightly darker tone - less emphasis on the high mids - was ideally suited to this position. Just wondering if a mix of 64 at the neck and 84 at the bridge would do it for you? It's definitely worth giving Andy a call - incredibly approachable and helpful fella.

Like the others have said, he's a top chap and very helpful.

I've got 64's in my jazz, my daughter has 84's in her jazz. They do sound very different. I find it very hard to describe sounds what I would say though is that the 64's sound more defined, the 84's deeper maybe more muddy. See what I mean, rubbish at describing sound.
They both sound good though.

Right I'm off having cleared up this discussion for you

I use the custom wizard 'GAFfers' split coil humbuckers in a standard jazz sized casing. REALLY nice sounding pickups. Big and beefy sounding but well balanced across the board (and hum cancelling) in the neck location if you solo it you get a p bass sound almost spot on, and in the bridge they add real bite, almost ray like. A very good pickup indeed!

(and no, I'm not paid to say so lol!)

Edited by gafbass02

[quote name='chrisd24' post='1034142' date='Nov 23 2010, 05:41 PM']I have been looking at getting some new jazz pickups and from mainly what i have read on here i have wittled it down to wizards,but which ones?

So the 3 they sell are: 64's 84's and thumpers,the description on their website is a little vague (dark sound etc,i really dont know what that means!)so im hoping[/quote]

Have you looked at the Wizard website? I ask because the Thumper is a P bass pickup. It clearly shows and tells you this. Sure you dont mean Hammers?

Just thought i would point this out, it might help to lessen the confusion.

By the way, i have 74's in my HW-one and they are fantastic. I had had 84's but didn't really like them. Too dark for me.
I also have a Thumper in my CV P bass but i might change that to a Trad.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='gafbass02' post='1034195' date='Nov 23 2010, 06:33 PM']I use the custom wizard 'GAFfers' split coil humbuckers in a standard jazz sized casing. REALLY nice sounding pickups. Big and beefy sounding but well balanced across the board (and hum cancelling) in the neck location if you solo it you get a p bass sound almost spot on, and in the bridge they add real bite, almost ray like. A very good pickup indeed!

(and no, I'm not paid to say so lol!)[/quote]

i like the sound of those,i really didnt want to say "i want my jazz to sound like a ray" because i assumed i woud get told to just buy a ray!

So these "GAFfers" are custom made for you (gafbass02) or would they just make them to order?

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1034238' date='Nov 23 2010, 07:10 PM']Have you looked at the Wizard website? I ask because the Thumper is a P bass pickup. It clearly shows and tells you this. Sure you dont mean Hammers?

Just thought i would point this out, it might help to lessen the confusion.

By the way, i have 74's in my HW-one and they are fantastic. I had had 84's but didn't really like them. Too dark for me.
I also have a Thumper in my CV P bass but i might change that to a Trad.[/quote]

My bad,i said thumpers yet i meant hammers...just to add further confusion to my post.

what is it you mean by dark? i never really understand these terms that well!

[quote name='chrisd24' post='1034294' date='Nov 23 2010, 07:46 PM']My bad,i said thumpers yet i meant hammers...just to add further confusion to my post.

what is it you mean by dark? i never really understand these terms that well![/quote]

No problem.

Dark means, to me, a lot of low mids. I found the bass lost its sparkle and the lows were too prominent. I first put them in my CV Jazz but didnt like them so Andy sent me out the custom 74's and these were better.
I must admit they sound quite different now they are in my HW-one. More growl but with a nice deep low end. Best Jazz tone ive ever had.

[quote name='gary mac' post='1034187' date='Nov 23 2010, 06:26 PM']Like the others have said, he's a top chap and very helpful.

I've got 64's in my jazz, my daughter has 84's in her jazz. They do sound very different. I find it very hard to describe sounds what I would say though is that the 64's sound more defined, the 84's deeper maybe more muddy. See what I mean, rubbish at describing sound.
They both sound good though.

Right I'm off having cleared up this discussion for you[/quote]

I've 84s in my Jazz and I think I know what you're saying when you say "muddy" - they're quite fat sounding and maybe have less bite than standard pickups.

[quote name='thinman' post='1034348' date='Nov 23 2010, 08:12 PM']I've 84s in my Jazz and I think I know what you're saying when you say "muddy" - they're quite fat sounding and maybe have less bite than standard pickups.[/quote]
Elequently put, compared to my feeble effort, thanks.

[quote name='chrisd24' post='1034241' date='Nov 23 2010, 07:12 PM']i like the sound of those,i really didnt want to say "i want my jazz to sound like a ray" because i assumed i woud get told to just buy a ray!

So these "GAFfers" are custom made for you (gafbass02) or would they just make them to order?[/quote]

indeed, sound like a ray it wont but sound as much like a ray as a jazz can it probably will lol, and a p bass and a jazz. Which is nice!

They are custom orders, all you do is ring and ask for a set of gaffers, i know he was planning to incorporate them into the standard product line but its not happened yet. Possibly due to issues of fitting them in a single coil sized casing. I have the prototype and had to modify the holes myself, but its WELL worth it! Although the 'production' model this seems to be fixed.
Give em a whirl!

Edited by gafbass02

[quote name='gafbass02' post='1034417' date='Nov 23 2010, 08:49 PM']indeed, sound like a ray it wont but sound as much like a ray as a jazz can it probably will lol, and a p bass and a jazz. Which is nice!

They are custom orders, all you do is ring and ask for a set of gaffers, i know he was planning to incorporate them into the standard product line but its not happened yet. Possibly due to issues of fitting them in a single coil sized casing. I have the prototype and had to modify the holes myself, but its WELL worth it! Although the 'production' model this seems to be fixed.
Give em a whirl![/quote]

I will definately have a word when i call,i know i started with 3 options but i really like the wild card 4th!

Whats the costing like on them being a custom order?

I put 84s in a self build this summer. At its first outing a regular audience member at our gigs commented that I must have been practising as I was playing a lot more notes (!) I had to dis-illusion him and say I was playing the same as ever but now what I'm playing is cutting through. Also my bandmates have forbidden me to go back to my old bass (Fender p - special) as the improved clarity and depth is great on stage.

I'm very happy indeed with Wizards. Best of luck with your choice

[quote name='Longmayyourun' post='1034754' date='Nov 24 2010, 09:19 AM']I put 84s in a self build this summer. At its first outing a regular audience member at our gigs commented that I must have been practising as I was playing a lot more notes (!) I had to dis-illusion him and say I was playing the same as ever but now what I'm playing is cutting through. Also my bandmates have forbidden me to go back to my old bass (Fender p - special) as the improved clarity and depth is great on stage.

I'm very happy indeed with Wizards. Best of luck with your choice[/quote]

+ 1

[quote name='gafbass02' post='1034417' date='Nov 23 2010, 08:49 PM']indeed, sound like a ray it wont but sound as much like a ray as a jazz can it probably will lol, and a p bass and a jazz. Which is nice!

Give em a whirl![/quote]

I enquired about the Gaffers but Andy said they weren't making them until they'd solved some technical issues. The only ones out were prototypes and even though most players were happy with them, Wizard were never completely satisfied.

Shame really cos I really wanted some.

This was the end of September so things might have changed.

[quote name='HeavyJay' post='1035255' date='Nov 24 2010, 04:37 PM']I enquired about the Gaffers but Andy said they weren't making them until they'd solved some technical issues. The only ones out were prototypes and even though most players were happy with them, Wizard were never completely satisfied.

Shame really cos I really wanted some.

This was the end of September so things might have changed.[/quote]

I spoke to Andy today (thoroughly helpful guy) and he said the same thing,i got the impression they didn't really like to make them as they weren't completely happy with them standing up to being used week in week out on a gig.

Anyway after about a 20 minute chat about what sort of sound i was after and what style of music i play we agreed on a set of 84's, he even said he would get them done straight away so they would hopefully arrive tomorrow,cant knock service like that!

Andy is great for getting things done. Its almost like popping out to the shop to get them.
He sent out my 74's the day he received my 84's back. He had already made them up before receiving the old ones back.
Same with my faulty Thumper. He sent out the replacement before receiving the faulty one, even though he hadn't checked it was faulty.

I emailed Andy to ask which jazz neck pup he would recommend for a deep, smooth reggae tone and he replied with a short, brusque message, saying none, because he didn't make pups suitable for smooth tones - his were far too articulate for the job.
I replied asking for more information, but he didn't respond - perhaps he doesn't like reggae. :)