Why become a member? ×

What song are you currently learning?

Perry

Yesterday I was learning two very different numbers:

The Kaizers, Everything is average nowadays,
The Shadows, Apache.

My daughter requested the Kaizers. She has taken up the bass recently and I'm attempting to teach her.

The band I'm currently playing with are planning to rehearse Apache tonight. Although I'm a bit ancient I've never actually played any shadows stuff and don't have any recordings. Last night I happened upon BBC 4 and there were the Shadows doing the very number, so a bit of frantic remote sorting and I managed to record most of it. Just hope I don't have to do the moves.

I got [i]The Free Story[/i] (compilation of late 60's / early 70's blues rock from Free) for Christmas. Over the next couple of months I plan on learning some of the lines and sucking up some more of the nuances of Andy Fraser's playing.

Wulf

[quote name='3V17C' post='118363' date='Jan 11 2008, 09:52 AM']couple of nice easy ones for me to learn for rehearsal on sunday

Ac/Dc- let there be rock
Def Leppard - Rock Rock til you drop

should take about 5 mins! sorted!

peace

c[/quote]
I wish my band(s) would do some Leppard!

[quote name='JohnSlade07' post='118454' date='Jan 11 2008, 12:31 PM']Brilliant player Andy Fraser. I was listening to Free the other night for the first time in ages and found myself thinking I must learn some of those lines. Great feel, not too busy and really expressive. Enjoy![/quote]
I got inspired when someone posted a video on here of Free playing Mr Big. I'd heard it before but not for a few years. It reminded me that my playing has some similarities to Andy Fraser's and I could probably benefit a lot from getting some of his material and paying closer attention to it.

Wulf

[quote name='elom' post='119168' date='Jan 12 2008, 04:06 PM']Higher Ground - Chilli's version

I know it's not the hardest thing in the world but I've not really slapped before so it's taking some doing. Making progress though.[/quote]

A very nice song. The slap into is one of the best examples of beauty in simplicity. Not as easy as it seems as Mr Flea aint that consistant so all isnt as it may seem.

Been told to learn Paradise City by Guns N Roses, which has been easier than expected, and with my new Tascam Bass trainer, I no longer need to drop tune every string half a semi-tone, which is convenient.

Also learnt Echo Beach by Marhta & the Muffins just because of that damn advert on ITV, and Take On Me by Reel Big Fish, and Baggy Trousers by Madness just to try some ska

At the moment, I'm fiddling about with some solo bass arrangements, Blue Bossa which I played live for the first time last night ( busking the bits of the arrangment I haven't written yet!) and Smells Like Teen Spirit, plus relearning songs I recorded about three years ago for some upcoming gigs with [url="http://www.panicroom.org.uk"]Panic Room[/url].

I also have the urge to relearn "Holy Wars" by Megadeth as it's fun to play and a great picking workout.

Cheers
Alun

[quote name='Alun' post='119227' date='Jan 12 2008, 06:15 PM']At the moment, I'm fiddling about with some solo bass arrangements, Blue Bossa which I played live for the first time last night ( busking the bits of the arrangment I haven't written yet!) and Smells Like Teen Spirit, plus relearning songs I recorded about three years ago for some upcoming gigs with [url="http://www.panicroom.org.uk"]Panic Room[/url].

I also have the urge to relearn "Holy Wars" by Megadeth as it's fun to play and a great picking workout.

Cheers
Alun[/quote]

LOL a little megadeth is always good for the picking exercises. Is see your local to me Alun, any gigs coming up please let me know, i'll say hi.

Col

Hi Col. I've got a few gigs in Swansea coming up but alas nothing further West at the moment. The gig list on [url="http://www.alunvaughan.com"]my site[/url] is up to date so take your pick :)

Likewise, let me know if you're playing locally and I shall try and come along.

Cheers
Alun