Why become a member? ×

Amp advice...

coasterbass

Hi all,
I'm fairly (ok, very) new to this board, but I've been playing for about 14 years now. I've found myself in a bit of a situation regarding my live sound and would be keen to hear any advice you might have.

I'm playing in a reasonably serious covers band, doing weddings and events. Mainly rock and pop stuff (Killers, Muse, Beatles, Ben Folds).

Currently I'm carting around my SVT4 Pro, and using it as a preamp only - straight to the desk (we use a pro sound engineering company with about 10-25kw FOH, so plenty of headroom for the bass).
The irony of using 'the world's most powerful amplifier' as a preamp only is beginning to dawn on me - as is the fact that it weights a tonne!!

I'm considering keeping the SVT for home use only, and getting myself a preamp to tour around with. Firstly I considered getting myself a Line 6 Pod Pro as a preamp/fx in one; but i fear whether the tone will really be there when i need it?? So then I'm thinking about the Tech21 RBI... but fearing that the tone/options will be limited.
Should I get the Tech21 for tone AND the Pod for fx, or is this overkill ??
Any other gear recommendations I should consider??

Cheers

N.

[font="Comic Sans MS"][color="#C0C0C0"][color="#808080"]Lefty Warwick Thumb V
Lefty Musicman Stingray IV
Lefty Fender American Jazz Deluxe
Lefty Fender MIM Jazz Hotrod
Ampeg SVT IV Pro
Ampeg 118 + 410 HLF[/color][/color][/font]

Hi Coaster

You'll get a million different answers on this, but...

Unless you love the sound of the Tech 21 stuff, I would give it a miss. The Sansamps have a mid cut which is impossible to bypass, regardless of how you tweak the knobs. People will tell you you can, but you can't. Trust me.

If that's your sound, then.. cool.

IMO the box you need is the [url="http://www.ebs.bass.se/2007/microbass.htm"]EBS Microbass II[/url].

It's more exensive than the Sansamp, but it does do everything better, and a whole lot more. It's the Swiss Army knife of the bass world...

• 1 month later...

Hi Coaster, why don't you get yourself an SVP PRO preamp. You could probably pick one up for £250-300, depending on condition. I've always hankered back to my SVT 2 sound and I've got it pretty much spot on using this trough a good power amp. You could use the balanced out to the FOH, then say put the output into an active cab, Berg, EBS, or just use in-ears or stage monitors, a la Geddy Lee. The SVP PRO is wonderful, the bottom end is unbelievable. I'm using my Precision loaded with EMG's, Precision and Jazz pups and I've got the bass and treble on the pre at 10 o'clock and the bass and treble on the bass at flat or cut. The mid is so strong and defined and the treble is crystal clear. It's got a new set of tubes in it ,Harma Diamond's in positions, 1 2 3 and 5 and a Phillips Cryogenic in position 4. It's quet, for a pre with 5 valves, three dimensioal sounding and I can hear myself at much lower volumes through guitar and load drums.
Give me a call if you need any more info.
Cheers Steve.
p.s., I'm a lefty too. Nice basses. :)

Edited by steve-soar