Why become a member? ×

Black basses

EdwardHimself

I had a guy suggest a black pearloid guard over on twatbass.com. I dunno. Seems like every brand has a different coloration. I'm thinking if I was to swap the guard it would be to this one. Kinda like the white binding...then again I like Stingray5's no guard pic...

image_2021-04-06_150407.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tegs07 said:

US Bitsa

Edit: The eagle-eyed may spot the non-standard pick guard.

Ebay find US body that had been routed to be a PJ. Refilled route back to J cavity with basswood and copper shielded. Fitted a stock J pick guard and about 1cm square of copper shield visible! Could either peel of that bit of copper then colour match and get gloss finish or take the easy route....

FDC64908-2F00-44EC-BCD9-807A98B97B86.jpeg

Where do you live so I can steal that neck, please? :D :D :D

4 hours ago, tegs07 said:

US Bitsa

Edit: The eagle-eyed may spot the non-standard pick guard.

Ebay find US body that had been routed to be a PJ. Refilled route back to J cavity with basswood and copper shielded. Fitted a stock J pick guard and about 1cm square of copper shield visible! Could either peel of that bit of copper then colour match and get gloss finish or take the easy route....

FDC64908-2F00-44EC-BCD9-807A98B97B86.jpeg

Looks great tegs, I’m not normally a fan of black blocks but it matches really well 👍

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 2020Jazz said:

Where do you live so I can steal that neck, please? :D :D :D

Keeping that on a need to know basis! It’s a 75 re-issue so did have to borrow a bench press and drill 2 holes...

There were a couple of Geddy Lee necks available on Stratosphere a few weeks back...

13 minutes ago, 2020Jazz said:

Sweet! Is that Matte?

It is indeed. It's the Chris Kael (FFDP) signature model (without the oversized knuckleduster bridge bling fitted). Trouble is it makes me want to swap out parts on the Frankenspector to black (and Im not about to buy another Schaller 5string 3D in black and Gotoh tuners in black! Mr Nibody is all spent up)

Edited by Nibody
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

Keeping that on a need to know basis! It’s a 75 re-issue so did have to borrow a bench press and drill 2 holes...

There were a couple of Geddy Lee necks available on Stratosphere a few weeks back...

Yeah I saw one, and it's gone. I can't see buying one of those allparts repro necks.

2 hours ago, 2020Jazz said:

I was just talking about that pickguard, that looks great.

It's just a printed sticker on a std p/guard.  I think I have a couple of spares if you want one.

• Like 1

On 07/04/2021 at 17:08, ead said:

It's just a printed sticker on a std p/guard.  I think I have a couple of spares if you want one.

I thought the U looking design was the sticker. What I'd like is a black guard with the white binding around the edge.

image_2021-04-10_061643.png

4 minutes ago, 2020Jazz said:

What I'd like is a black guard with the white binding around the edge.

I’ve found most of the 3 ply black pickguards have the white edge as it’s the middle layer that’s white, the single ply is just plane black 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 2020Jazz said:

I love that finish! :heart:

If I ever should get the money needed to have a custom bass made or the money to throw away on a refinish of my main I would have it painted in a similar way.

And I otherwise really don't like basses in a blue finish, in fact my absolute least favorite finish color, to put it mildly, and I normally favor a matte black finish, but the "Dark Night" finish is simply astonishing and has taken my place as my new favorite finish, Fender hit bullseye there!

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

On 06/04/2021 at 20:52, 2020Jazz said:

Yeah I saw one, and it's gone. I can't see buying one of those allparts repro necks.

There’s a Squire Classic Vibe one in the accessories for sale section...

Edited by tegs07