Why become a member? ×

Black basses

EdwardHimself

I know I already spammed pictures of it in the thread I made when I ordered it and the Ibanez owner club thread, but pretty thrilled about finally owning my first 6 string bass, and I am actually slowly getting used to play it too.

I tuned it in D standard though (as in 3 half steps above regular 6 string bass B standard tuning or 2 half steps bellow regular 4 string bass E standard tuning), using D'Addario XL bass strings gauge .105 - .080 - .060 - .045 - .032 and the .024 string from a D'Addario's Fender Bass VI string set, which makes the tension of the individual strings pretty similar to that of the strings of a D'Addario 4 string bass gauge .095 to .040 string set.

An Ibanez SR306EB in Weathred Black finish, 34" scale, 54mm nut, 16,5mm string spacing, Naytoh body, 5 piece Maple/Walnut neck, 24 medium frets, Jatoba fretboard, onboard preamp with 3 band active EQ :

Ibanez-SR306-EB-020121-666l-2-dark-red.j

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Merton said:

I have just set @Cosmicrain the task of building a black/maple P-alike to resolve exactly that issue with my collection 😎

Ohhh...you doing a build diary I can follow...?

I built a walnut / maple single coil 54p-esque bass two years ago, absolutely love it, but I'd love a black / maple version...but I don't trust myself with the painted finish...I'd love to watch how yours turns out...👍

A black version of this...20191011_135321.thumb.jpg.ead7f825534db1ca1eb0cfa8d9ed2beb.jpg

Edited by lou24d53
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, lou24d53 said:

I built a walnut / maple single coil 54p-esque bass two years ago, absolutely love it, but I'd love a black / maple version...but I don't trust myself with the painted finish...I'd love to watch how yours turns out...👍

A black version of this...20191011_135321.thumb.jpg.ead7f825534db1ca1eb0cfa8d9ed2beb.jpg

Of course, I’ll get a diary going and let you know :)

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, lou24d53 said:

#helping:

😎

• Like 1

My main Ibanez Mikro Bass, after I successfully transplanted it's GSRM20 Mikro Bass neck onto a GSRM20B Mikeo Bass body in Weathered Black finish, also relocated the output jack socket from the stock side mounted barrel type one to a front mounted regular jack socket, and currently having an EMG Geezer Butler P pickup installed, wired directly to the output jack socket, and not a DiMarzio Model P as on this picture :

GSRM20-B-Body-White-Stripes-background-E

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

I am wanting a black block maple neck to replace the pearl block, haven't found a Jazz version yet. Fender sells a Precision version, but no... On the fence about a black Hipshot hi mass bridge, or maybe a black ashtray. I'm unsure it would even fit considering how far back the bridge is mounted, though...

202104060616244392570136432941429.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ped said:

I'm pretty sure those rear covers don't go over a badass; the bridge goes back too far on the body I think.

I carried my guitar down to Guitar Center and the little college silly billy wouldn't pull one out of the bag to see if it would fit. I would say I'll never shop there again, but...I've never bought anything from them. :D

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Stingray5 said:

1984 Tokai Jazz Sound (L+5 series)

666745028_TokaiJazzSoundBass00_CR2.thumb.jpg.86bf7077759dc6edcffd423f1a640d1f.jpg

1688198493_TokaiJazzSoundBass09_CR2.thumb.jpg.e6dfd40ba6665d456344b6494aadf11e.jpg

1222036336_TokaiJazzSoundBass03_CR2.thumb.jpg.ced4924d721b289e47687fdc45c3df30.jpg

Man...I had the guard off mine when installing the thumb rest, and wondered why I should put it back on when I don't even own a pick...In the end I reinstalled it because I didn't want to fuss with fixing the screw holes. This look, with a black stack pot control plate, would be the bee's knees in my lowly opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2020Jazz said:

Man...I had the guard off mine when installing the thumb rest, and wondered why I should put it back on when I don't even own a pick...In the end I reinstalled it because I didn't want to fuss with fixing the screw holes. This look, with a black stack pot control plate, would be the bee's knees in my lowly opinion.

Aha, the words 'nail' and 'head' come to mind, sir! :D 
In fact, I've always liked 'stealth' style basses so thought I might one day do exactly that with this one - black control plate, black bridge. Only thing would then be the neck/fretboard and headstock. The bass was originally fretted but years ago I had it converted to fretless with some high grade Indian Rosewood which I wouldn't want to lose. However, I guess I could try and source another neck with an ebony board and black headstock (or maybe a Status graphite neck?).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stingray5 said:

Aha, the words 'nail' and 'head' come to mind, sir! :D 
In fact, I've always liked 'stealth' style basses so thought I might one day do exactly that with this one - black control plate, black bridge. Only thing would then be the neck/fretboard and headstock. The bass was originally fretted but years ago I had it converted to fretless with some high grade Indian Rosewood which I wouldn't want to lose. However, I guess I could try and source another neck with an ebony board and black headstock (or maybe a Status graphite neck?).

Jus' sayin'...  ;)

5K400B_6f6b259c-8510-4af5-9d87-88b219416d4c_800x.jpg

• Like 1