Why become a member? ×

RIM Custom 5 string for Alex Claber (36 inch scale) Finished with soundclips!

RIM Basses

Hi All,

Well I got the bass finished today, played her thru my Ashdown Five fifteen and she sounds great, loads of detail and clarity. It has a nice tones thru the dingwall switch when blended with the tone pot. Gonna get the soundclips done in the week either at home thru the Pc or at Marty's.

Cheers,

Robbie.

[quote name='7string' post='119355' date='Jan 13 2008, 12:24 AM']Why doesn't it have the fishtail though ?? That's the feature which makes it unmistakably R.I.M. :)[/quote]

Just a little too exotic looking for my liking - plus I wanted a body shape that's stable when I prop it against a wall (I don't tend to use stands - sacrilege! :huh: )

[quote name='Buzz' post='119376' date='Jan 13 2008, 01:25 AM']I have to ask Alex, interesting choice of control combination, I'm suprised there's no blend control for when they're in parallel.[/quote]

I have a 3-way switch on my Warwick which works great. I don't need the added tweakery of a blend control - 4 basic tones from the switch is plenty and then how I use my hands covers everything in between. I expect the tone control to mostly be used to mellow out fresh strings, gradually turning it up as the strings break in.

Alex

Cheers guys,

Im real happy that this bass is finished and Im back on track with the other two basses soon. Looks like the soundclips will be done this coming wednesday night and studio pics next week also. Might be going down to Brighton to deliver the bass in person to Alex, as he is busy on the DIY.

Cheers,

Robbie.

• 2 weeks later...

Soundclip at

www.myspace.com/rimcustombasses

The recording is direct into my mates laptop with pro tools, no effects. He called me to ask if the bass was active after we recorded and he was blown away by the fact the bass is all Passive. The Q tuners are truely great pickups.

Cheers,

Robbie.