Why become a member? ×

Help this newbie make a decision!

Skol303

Hi folks,

I've been pestering y'all on here this past week for advice on what new bass to buy (I used to play more than 10 years ago but shamefully haven't picked up a bass since, so I'm very much a beginner again...). Thanks again for your feedback thus far.

I've narrowed it down to the following selection, all of which are available second-hand in my local guitar shop. I'm going to try each of them out tomorrow, but in the meantime I was wondering if any of you have strong opinions on which of these bases you feel would be the best purchase? They're all priced at between £200-£250, so cost-wise there's not much in it:

Warwick Rock Bass Corvette 5 string
Ibanez Ergodyne EDB-600 & EDB-500
Tanglewood Curbow bass
Yamaha RBX460

... yeah, I know, I should just play each one and make my own damn mind up! ;-) I just wanted to check opinions here, as you folks are clearly more experienced than I am to make a judgment.

All comments gratefully received!

FWIW
All potentially good choices for a first bass.

I have always been impressed with the value for money of the Ibanez offerings and the slimness of the neck profile.

Give them all a close look, listen and feel ;-0 . Check the ends of the frets are well finished and seated, this has been a minor niggle on a Yamaha RBX that I once had (although it was easily sorted and it sounded great).

Just my two pence worth

^ Sorry guys, your jokes are sailing clear over my head here! :-)

Yeah, I'm sure there are plenty of other options on the market: I've actually checked out some Shecter bases and they look good (or is saying that a 'faux pas'?! I dunno...).

The bases I've listed are simply those that are currently available in my local second-hand store, which is why I'm focusing on them at the moment.

Anyway, keep the suggestions coming, jokes or otherwise!

Cheers.

Have you played all these basses? You probably know which one you like best, but may have doubts or lack of knowledge about things like value and reliability and quality.

Of the four I would go with the Warwick. For reliability and quality of parts and construction.

The Yam and the Ibby come joint second.

The Curbow is probably ok but I wouldn't have something like that in my home.

"Have you played all these basses? You probably know which one you like best, but may have doubts or lack of knowledge about things like value and reliability and quality.

Of the four I would go with the Warwick. For reliability and quality of parts and construction.

The Yam and the Ibby come joint second."

^ Cheers, that fits with my thinking at the moment. I haven't played any of them yet - am doing so tomorrow - but on paper the Ibanez and Yamaha are looking like my favourites in that order.

I'm also tempted by the Warwick, as I've heard great things about them. But I'm not so keen on it being a 5-string. Might be persuaded when I pick it up and play it, however.

Anyway, thanks again for the advice here. It sounds like any of them would be an ok purchase, which is what I wanted to know: just needed to check, as I didn't want to pick up a 'turkey', given my limited knowledge!

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='1029220' date='Nov 19 2010, 12:54 PM']You'll have to excuse me I was being facetious and trying to convert you to the Transit Van (P-bass) of the bass world.

They all look like good choices. I'm sure once you've played them one will stick out as the best for you. It's very hard to give more advice than that.[/quote]
As a P-Bass man, I love that response.

Out of the brands stated, the first one I would pick up out of those would be the Yamaha, however as has been said, best thing to do is play each, and see which is the one that gels best with you. I`d also factor in checking out Squier basses - the upper end models (CV & VM) seem to get a lot of love here on Basschat, gotta be worth a look.

[quote name='Skol303' post='1029366' date='Nov 19 2010, 02:20 PM']"Have you played all these basses? You probably know which one you like best, but may have doubts or lack of knowledge about things like value and reliability and quality.

The Yam and the Ibby come joint second."

^ Cheers, that fits with my thinking at the moment. I haven't played any of them yet - am doing so tomorrow - but on paper the Ibanez and Yamaha are looking like my favourites in that order.

I'm also tempted by the Warwick, as I've heard great things about them. But I'm not so keen on it being a 5-string. Might be persuaded when I pick it up and play it, however.

Anyway, thanks again for the advice here. It sounds like any of them would be an ok purchase, which is what I wanted to know: just needed to check, as I didn't want to pick up a 'turkey', given my limited knowledge![/quote]

The Joke I think the guys were talking about was a particular thread.. If you fancy a laugh

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=111461"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=111461[/url]

But on the bass front, Much of muchness.. It's important how it feels to you..

If it feel good in your hands and when you play it, get that bass, that's my advice. My first bass was an Ibanez and I never regret getting it as it felt easy to play after playing with eq, I got a pretty good sound too, as I developed, I tried others, now my playing has improved a bit, I can handle the feel of other basses, so I have more choice..

That's my 2p of advice

Well I'm gonna be putting up my rockbass for sale in the next few days. It's one of these jobs [url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/rockbass-streamer-std-4-double-pickup-red-stain/24046"]http://www.gak.co.uk/en/rockbass-streamer-...red-stain/24046[/url]

Was a great starter bass, and kept me happy for a good few years, until i saved up enough for my spector. I'd be looking at around £150 which includes a hardcase. Am in north london, send me a PM if you're interested.

"The Joke I think the guys were talking about was a particular thread.. If you fancy a laugh [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=111461""]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=111461"[/url]

^ Aha, now it makes sense! That thread honestly made me "lol". My favourite post has to be:

"BTW DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN BUY A NEW CAPSLOCK KEY?" - pure genius that :-)

^ Also, thanks for the heads-up about the Rockbass mentioned above. If I don't pick something up this weekend I might get back to you on that.

[quote name='Zach' post='1029412' date='Nov 19 2010, 02:46 PM']Well I'm gonna be putting up my rockbass for sale in the next few days. It's one of these jobs [url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/rockbass-streamer-std-4-double-pickup-red-stain/24046"]http://www.gak.co.uk/en/rockbass-streamer-...red-stain/24046[/url]

Was a great starter bass, and kept me happy for a good few years, until i saved up enough for my spector. I'd be looking at around £150 which includes a hardcase. Am in north london, send me a PM if you're interested.[/quote]
Good price that!

Edited by silddx

Great price, methinks. Could be a good deal there for you there, Skol. It's a pretty good market here, Tim aside, so a great place to start if your local music shop doesn't have what you want or you're looking for that extra saving in the second-hand market.

Thinking to myself, however, haven't beginner's basses improved some! Where are the no-names? The Encores? The firewood?

I think I started playing at the wrong time! :)

You have always got to try a Squier J or P bass in these situations. I saw some of the CV /VM ones the other day and they did look great! And always upgradeable as and when. It does seam like people try and push them down everyones necks on here but after a while you have got to admit if people with £1.5K+ basses are raving about them there must be a reason?

Let us all know what you end up with and like everyone else says you need to give them all a try. :)

Re the 4 or 5 desision, that's a choice that has to be made on it's own. What kind of music do you want to play?

If you intend to play 5 string in the long term, there's no harm in starting off on it. It does take a little more getting used to though (not loads, but you might struggle to begin with) so if you only intend to play on a 4 string then there doesn't seem any point getting a 5er to start on.

Personally I'd go for the Warwick (as I play 5 strings) or if I was going for 4, I'd get the Ibanez, they've been producing instruments with good consistency and quality for years.

^ Thanks again for the feedback here folks; greatly appreciated.

Thought I'd let y'all know that I settled on the Ibanez EDB600 in the end. I played them all, as well as a few other bases around the same price range (including the P-bass). Decided on the Ibanez simply because I liked the sound of it, plus it has a nice low action and a fairly slim neck (which suits me well).

It's a damn heavy beast (made from luthite) and has a few dints and dents here and there, but that kind of thing doesn't bother me. I just wouldn't want to drop it on my foot.

Close second-place was the Warwick, which also sounded great but I found myself fumbling over the 5th string - sure I'd probably get used to that, but I thought it best to stick with what I know (i.e. 4 strings, no more, no less!).

Anyway, I'm sure your lives are better for knowing this information! ;-)

But seriously, cheers for your help here folks.