Why become a member? ×

Something Old & Something New - Your Recordings.

xilddx

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1034279' date='Nov 23 2010, 07:39 PM']1982

[/quote]
Haha! Bilbo, brilliant! The first reminds me of the good old days! It contains the very essence of NWOBHM, I can't put my finger on it, but it has that very sound, like Diamond Head and Tygers of Pan Tang. It almost brought a tear :)

Love the second, very simple and therefore much more difficult to pull off. You have a great feel and I love the semi quavers you do with the vocals at 2.00, and occasionally afterwards. Really nice feel. I kind of feel a little frustration in there that you can't really go to town on some wickid modulation, but it's a testament to your great taste that you did what you did. Stop me if I sound like a ponce :)

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='1034317' date='Nov 23 2010, 07:59 PM']1982 seems a popular year:

[url="http://idisk.mac.com:80//ianhalstead/Public/BC/tracks/American-Express.mp3"]American Express[/url] from Sign Language.

[url="http://idisk.mac.com:80//ianhalstead/Public/BC/tracks/Song-five.mp3"]Song 5[/url] - from Fear of bicycles. Part of an improv session from a couple of months ago.[/quote]
Oh my god! I LOVE American Express!! What's the singer doing now? It's got a lovely naivete to it and it completely sounds like the '80s to me. I got a wonderful rush of nostalgia, like I did with Bilbo's first number.

I would like to hear more of your second, it had a fantastic feel to it. Where did it go? If that's completely improvised, I want more because I get the sense of the unexplored forest about it. More please!

[quote name='mep' post='1034347' date='Nov 23 2010, 08:11 PM']Wow what a thread. I'll admit to getting a bit uninspired recently on BC (believe it or not) and not digging a lot of the threads. I'll check out some tunes a bit later when it's quieter at home. These 2 are mine.

The first track is called Somebody's Fool and was written by our singer / guitarist who was 15 at the time. I was 18 and it was recorded on a Tascam 4 track in 1984. As it was the 80's there is a chorus laden slap bass solo before the guitar solo!

[attachment=64800:Somebody__s_Fool.mp3]

The second track was recorded earlier last year for some of my students. It is self penned solo affair with 3 sections and some drum accompanyment to the 2nd & 3rd sections. It has some chordal work and was insipred by a Bach Cello Gavotte which was transcribed for bass by Rob Burns at the Basstech in Acton many years ago when I took private lessons.

[attachment=64801:Mep__s_B..._Gavotte.mp3][/quote]
I can't pretend I like either to be perfectly frank. The first is great though considering the ages involved, and the era :) The second is just something I can never get on with, cello transcribed for electric bass. Aside from the odd timing issue, you play it really well though. I just don't dig on solo bass so I'm not the right person to comment, sorry :)

Loving this thread! Your '82 band rocks, Bilbo :)

Today is another day, so here are another two (my last, as I dont think I have any more recordings of note).

I've managed to find what I think is my earliest ever recording - aged around 13 or 14 I think. Recorded on a good ol' Tascam 4 track, I remember having a lot of fun flipping the tape for backwards vocals with delays and tinkering with pitchshifted guitars on my first (and cherished) multi effects pedal. Terrible singing and quite pretentious, but I still like it because when I hear it I can picture my messy teenage bedroom with wires draped everywhere for when I bounced down to my hi fi :)

[attachment=64823:india_songmx.mp3]

And here's a piece of dubstep I recorded last week on my iPhone, in a lovely little app called Music Studio. I had intended to write a longer piece for strings but when I tried out the synth patches they immediately brought back joyfull memories of Amiga game music...

[attachment=64824:Dubstep.mp3]

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1034508' date='Nov 23 2010, 10:08 PM']OK, Glam Punk days from early 1996

and then a session I did over the summer for a friend so just a few months ago.

Interestingly it's the same drummer & guitarist but a very different style. Both are just Fender Precision basses just DI'd[/quote]
I really like the second number. With some sh*t hot production it has hit written all over it!

Right... when I get home tonight, everything stops. The stereo goes on and the kids can starve. I'm going to be sitting back and listening to every one of the samples posted. Can't wait.... :)

What an inspired thread Nigel - we should be looking at releasing a BC compilation :) Seriously. Proceeds to hosting and maintenance of website and an emergency GAS fund.

[quote name='purpleblob' post='1034521' date='Nov 23 2010, 10:20 PM']Well this is brilliant, I think you had another thread with this on and I liked it then and I still like it now - fantastic stuff.[/quote]

Thanks again man. I know I should probably stop pimping this recording all the time without at least adding the vocals to it. In the mean time I am working on a new instrumental track that should be done in maybe a week or 2 at this rate...

[quote name='Wil' post='1034636' date='Nov 24 2010, 12:33 AM']Loving this thread! Your '82 band rocks, Bilbo :)

Today is another day, so here are another two (my last, as I dont think I have any more recordings of note).

I've managed to find what I think is my earliest ever recording - aged around 13 or 14 I think. Recorded on a good ol' Tascam 4 track, I remember having a lot of fun flipping the tape for backwards vocals with delays and tinkering with pitchshifted guitars on my first (and cherished) multi effects pedal. Terrible singing and quite pretentious, but I still like it because when I hear it I can picture my messy teenage bedroom with wires draped everywhere for when I bounced down to my hi fi :)

[attachment=64823:india_songmx.mp3]

And here's a piece of dubstep I recorded last week on my iPhone, in a lovely little app called Music Studio. I had intended to write a longer piece for strings but when I tried out the synth patches they immediately brought back joyfull memories of Amiga game music...

[attachment=64824:Dubstep.mp3][/quote]
India is lovely! Not too keen on Dubstep. Great for an iPhone app though.

There's some great sounds on this thread! And some genuinely great composing.

[quote name='silddx' post='1034849' date='Nov 24 2010, 10:49 AM']:) Thank you guys.

Sombody's pinned it. Is it an honour to have a thread pinned? :lol:[/quote]

I did that - this is like the BC 'sounds from the vaults' thread - some of us have been a little longer than others and it's a great way to show off what we've all been up to over the years and how a commitment to playing an instrument can bring years of satisfaction - you're never to old to rock and roll right people?

Cheers

Mike

PS I'll dig out some more old crap at some point too! :)

[quote name='Jase' post='1035182' date='Nov 24 2010, 03:28 PM']How far back can you/we/everyone go? I'd transfer/convert some old cassettes for a laugh....[b]I've got some hideous stuff...[/b][/quote]
Haha! Me too :) Absolutely dread! My first attempts at writing lyrics and singing my own songs. f***ing risible! If I put 'em on here would I ever be able to live with myself? :)

There is some really classy stuff on here, from Nige's guitar playing to Bilbo's little surprise. Thisnameistaken, Paul h's stuff, Walman, Urb, EH, Jase Linus27 and Mep, Burritobass, (is this becoming like an Oscars speech :) :) ), and Wil - so much variety and talent that show's what a truly versatile bunch we are.

OK, I've dug out a couple of older ones from 1982 and 1984 respectively:

[url="http://idisk.mac.com:80//ianhalstead/Public/BC/tracks/God-Slot.mp3"]God Slot[/url] - an anti organised religion rant from Sign Language
[url="http://idisk.mac.com:80//ianhalstead/Public/BC/tracks/Love-and-War.mp3"]Love and War[/url] - involving me having a go at rudimentary slap and string tapping on a fretless, from Sign Language again.

And one from a couple of years ago, unfinished as it's bloody hard work - [url="http://idisk.mac.com:80//ianhalstead/Public/BC/tracks/Orcastrated.mp3"]Orcastrated[/url] - a go at.... orchestration.

Edited by ShergoldSnickers

[quote name='silddx' post='1034634' date='Nov 24 2010, 12:28 AM']I can't pretend I like either to be perfectly frank. The first is great though considering the ages involved, and the era :) The second is just something I can never get on with, cello transcribed for electric bass. Aside from the odd timing issue, you play it really well though. I just don't dig on solo bass so I'm not the right person to comment, sorry :)[/quote]

That's ok. The first song was from my first proper recording session and considering the ages involved it stands up well. Maybe you would like the other 2 songs from that session, although most like this one. The second was a recent recording, which is more of an exercise, rather than something to listen to, as the fingering is quite tricky and there are some big stretches needed for the 3rd section. I went for the 2 extremes to go with the original idea of your thread, which is looking and sounding good. As with most people I have stacks of recordings and to choose 2 is not easy, even with your original old & new idea.

I'll play...

Somewhere, in a box, probably in Somerset I have a recording of possibly my second or third time of 'playing' bass. If it turns up, I'll see what I can do...

However, for the moment, these will have to suffice:

Exhibit A - an instrumental take on a Robin Trower staple from late 1982 or early 1983 (probably about 6 months into playing):
[url="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8453031/Day_Of_The_Eagle-Take_1.mp3"]Day Of The Eagle[/url]

Exhibit B - from the 3rd of March this year at the Coach & Horses Jam in Leyton High Road:
[url="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8453031/Too_Many_Drivers.mp3"]Too Many Drivers[/url]

Pete.

I'm going to buck the trend now by posting some godawful sh*te. :) But hey, it's all in the spirit of the thread.

[url="http://snd.sc/dHcJQX"]This is from my first band, Russell[/url]. Truly a sound of its time (written in 1997, recorded in 1998), it's a bunch of teenagers still figuring out how to play and having a good time doing it. I'd never even touched a bass at this point. I'm on electric guitar (playing all the Oasis-alike lead bits), backing vocals and piano. We were inexplicably quite popular in Harrogate at the time.

Around the same time, I was experimenting at home with a Korg synth module and a PC. The Brian Eno influence is pretty transparent, I think: [url="http://snd.sc/hPgu64"]Vitrif, from 1998ish[/url]. (IIRC, that track's kind of palindromic -- each part of the texture enters in a certain order, and leaves again in reverse order at the end.) I have hours and hours of stuff like that.

Fast-forward to 2007, and the last bit of recording I did (before kids and life started getting in the way) with the previous incarnation of my ongoing project with my friend Tim. Yes, I'm actually playing bass on this one: the delightfully-titled [url="http://snd.sc/eIGB9c"]Wave of Sh*t[/url]. It was a rushed recording in the Newcastle University studios, and we never got it sounding quite right. The vocals were only a guide, and the drums are too compressed and gated. Ho hum. The drummer left just after we recorded this, so we just left it as was. :)

Should be doing some recording in the next few months with a singer-songwriter I've been working with, so I might have something to add in the new year!

Link to stuff recorded about a month ago. Tracks 1-4 are mine :).
[url="http://www.heartbreakerpaulrodgerstribute.co.uk/index.php/music-vault.html"]http://www.heartbreakerpaulrodgerstribute....usic-vault.html[/url]

No really early stuff as it was all on cassette, very early 80's stuff. Might be able to find some 90's stuff though.