Why become a member? ×

Something Old & Something New - Your Recordings.

xilddx

[quote name='paul h' post='1029840' date='Nov 19 2010, 07:59 PM']Ooh, nice one Nige!

This first track is Marigold and was recorded by my "I want to be famous" band some time around 92/94. It features our very own Mr. Fudge on guitar...

[url="https://sites.google.com/site/paulharckham/home/marigold.mp3"][b]Marigold[/b][/url]

And this one I recorded today just for a bit of fun! This one features, well, me!...

[url="https://sites.google.com/site/paulharckham/home/Isthisfunk.mp3"][b]Is This Funk[/b]?[/url][/quote]

Serious chops on the funk track. You must have a thumb like a side of beef, sir!

[quote name='silddx' post='1032447' date='Nov 22 2010, 11:59 AM']Bugger. I stupidly had it saved as a massive WAV and didn't upload. Just converted it. It's in this post and the one above. God, the main vocal sounds so sh*t, the main verse vocal which I double tracked disappeared and I don't know what happened to it, so you have a splendidly weak backing vocal track in the verses although it gets a little better as the song progresses. Also the the vocal appears to be panned fairly hard left and right. I must have been stoned off my face when I mixed it :) Never mind, I don't like my singing voice much anyway :)

Thanks for the lovely comments on the other one!

[attachment=64608:Crow1.mp3][/quote]

I love this - the bassline is fantastic, dubby goodness, the song itself is really interesting both melodically and rhythmically and I don't think your vocals are bad at all.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1030065' date='Nov 20 2010, 01:34 AM']My current band, earlier this year: [url="http://www.myspace.com/copaseticska/music/songs/Restless-69378405"]http://www.myspace.com/copaseticska/music/...stless-69378405[/url][/quote]

This ska track is great - love the bassplaying, really makes you want to skank in the uptempo bits!

[quote name='WalMan' post='1031933' date='Nov 21 2010, 09:31 PM']May have put this up elsewhere, but anyway

Early - around late 70's we reckon [url="http://www.tideway-la.co.uk/ATF/im_always_with_you.mp3"][b]I'm Always With You[/b][/url] - a rather busy Shergold Marathon Fretless[/quote]

Really like the police-yness of this. I love the texture of the instruments, drums and vocals recorded on 70s equipment, it just invokes a different mood when you listen to it. Great stuff.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='1033137' date='Nov 22 2010, 08:13 PM']Here we go. I don't have any of the really old stuff (computers :lol: ) but here is something from 4 years ago (which for me is pretty old!) and something from this year:

[attachment=64694:RSC.mp3]

[attachment=64699:ControlFinalMix.mp3]

oh yeah...[/quote]

Control sounds really cool, the opening part with the ascending and decending synth is very Skunk Anansie (which I like!).

Edited by Wil

OK - raided the harddrive on my old PC and there a coupe of things I'd like to share - I do have some old band stuff but I'd rather share these, also you can hear all my new stuff on my signature (got to the Bandcamp page for the best quality)

Anyhow the first one is a classical/Tango piece by Astor Piazzola arranged and played brilliantly by a guitarist friend of mine called [url="http://jameswatson.eu/"]James Watson[/url] - we recorded this in 1995 or something like that - pre-digital and all that, hence it's a bit hissy... I'm doubling his lines and playing chords under the solo, on my trusty old Warwick Thumb original:

[attachment=64747:Tango_Suite.mp3]

The second tune is one of my first solo bass recordings I did when I move to London 7 years ago, this is the modal jazz classic Little Sunflower, I'd just got my fretless custom 5-string and loved the Christian McBride version of the tune so decided to do my version of it:

[attachment=64748:Little_Sunflower.mp3]

Hope you enjoyed these - thankfully I'm a better bassist and better at recording/producing my own stuff now... it's all good though

Cheers

Mike

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='1033137' date='Nov 22 2010, 08:13 PM']Here we go. I don't have any of the really old stuff (computers :) ) but here is something from 4 years ago (which for me is pretty old!) and something from this year:

[attachment=64694:RSC.mp3]

[attachment=64699:ControlFinalMix.mp3]

oh yeah...[/quote]
You came a long way in 4 years mate, Control is really, really good! It's a very commercial composition, very listenable, and very well played! It deserves a great vocal :)

[quote name='urb' post='1033696' date='Nov 23 2010, 11:20 AM']OK - raided the harddrive on my old PC and there a coupe of things I'd like to share - I do have some old band stuff but I'd rather share these, also you can hear all my new stuff on my signature (got to the Bandcamp page for the best quality)

Anyhow the first one is a classical/Tango piece by Astor Piazzola arranged and played brilliantly by a guitarist friend of mine called [url="http://jameswatson.eu/"]James Watson[/url] - we recorded this in 1995 or something like that - pre-digital and all that, hence it's a bit hissy... I'm doubling his lines and playing chords under the solo, on my trusty old Warwick Thumb original:

The second tune is one of my first solo bass recordings I did when I move to London 7 years ago, this is the modal jazz classic Little Sunflower, I'd just got my fretless custom 5-string and loved the Christian McBride version of the tune so decided to do my version of it:

[attachment=64748:Little_Sunflower.mp3]

Hope you enjoyed these - thankfully I'm a better bassist and better at recording/producing my own stuff now... it's all good though

Cheers

Mike[/quote]
f***in hell, that first piece is pretty immense Mike :)

Liking the Janek stuff on the second track :D :) :lol:

[quote name='Jase' post='1033856' date='Nov 23 2010, 01:35 PM']The whole track sounds a bit like it's under water since I converted it to an mp3.[/quote]

I'd say that's a pretty good description of a low BR mp3 file. I liked the first song. It is of course very of it's day but i think you did a good job, everything sounded nice and tight. The new stuff is just erm, well, erm :) It sounded as if you did a good job with the actual recording itself though...

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='silddx' post='1033878' date='Nov 23 2010, 01:51 PM']You came a long way in 4 years mate, Control is really, really good! It's a very commercial composition, very listenable, and very well played! It deserves a great vocal :)[/quote]

I think commercial and listenable is very much what I was going for. I'm going to try for the vocals probably over christmas. Can't promise I'll deliver on the "great" though...

[quote name='Jase' post='1033856' date='Nov 23 2010, 01:35 PM']Here's something I found that's quite funny, twenty odd years ago with lashings of distorted bass, when I wanted to be in Talas. At 3.40 there is a ridiculous clone moment. The whole track sounds a bit like it's under water since I converted it to an mp3. Long before pc's and all this stuff you kids have at your fingertips, hahaha!
Recorded live IIRC Used my Billy converted Pbass also had the BC1 screaming away! :) :) :lol:
[attachment=64759:stranded.mp3]

....and new stuff: [url="http://soundcloud.com/jason-marsh"]Soundcloud[/url][/quote]

The first track on your Soundcloud page... can I be the first to say "alright Yoko?" :D

Fat Head Man Guy Thing and the tracks following it on the other hand, wouldnt sound out of place on a Zappa album, to me at least.

[quote name='Jase' post='1033856' date='Nov 23 2010, 01:35 PM']Here's something I found that's quite funny, twenty odd years ago with lashings of distorted bass, when I wanted to be in Talas. At 3.40 there is a ridiculous clone moment. The whole track sounds a bit like it's under water since I converted it to an mp3. Long before pc's and all this stuff you kids have at your fingertips, hahaha!
Recorded live IIRC Used my Billy converted Pbass also had the BC1 screaming away! :) :) :lol:
[attachment=64759:stranded.mp3]

....and new stuff: [url="http://soundcloud.com/jason-marsh"]Soundcloud[/url][/quote]
hahhah! The fisrt one is really quite funny :D It's very British and the singer (and the band) must have been a big Sabbath fan, stylistically and lyrically. It's great fun! The bit at 3.40 is hilarious! Very well performed though.

Your new work on Soundcloud is really interesting, it's quite visceral, from the heart and you can tell. Funny how you sneaked in a bass phrase from a GS ep track (can't remember what it's called) into Fat Head, you may not have even been aware you did it. I really like this music, I may buy the album. Fat Head and Monkey's are my faves at the moment. It's all really heartfelt, and imaginitive. Rare mate, rare. I'd love to see this live. Your bass is lovely, so much personality, which didn't come through that much with GS, you made precisely the right move in my opinion. This music is exactly what you want to do isn't it? It sounds like it is.

[quote name='Wil' post='1033906' date='Nov 23 2010, 02:12 PM']The first track on your Soundcloud page... can I be the first to say "alright Yoko?" :)

Fat Head Man Guy Thing and the tracks following it on the other hand, wouldnt sound out of place on a Zappa album, to me at least.[/quote]
Nah, totally different language to Zappa old thing. This is more Be-bop (well, what I think of as Be-bop, probably completely wrong there :) ) with some rocket fuel and not a thought for the audience, 21st century be-bop. I love it, it's got real balls.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' post='1033886' date='Nov 23 2010, 01:57 PM']f***in hell, that first piece is pretty immense Mike :)[/quote]

Cheers fella -

[quote name='silddx' post='1033886' date='Nov 23 2010, 01:57 PM']Liking the Janek stuff on the second track :D :) :lol:[/quote]

and yes the second one is 'well jazzy innit' NOT!

[quote name='WalMan' post='1031933' date='Nov 21 2010, 09:31 PM']May have put this up elsewhere, but anyway

Early - around late 70's we reckon [url="http://www.tideway-la.co.uk/ATF/im_always_with_you.mp3"][b]I'm Always With You[/b][/url] - a rather busy Shergold Marathon Fretless

Last Friday night - [url="http://www.tideway-la.co.uk/Alibi/Sounds/Alibi_Live_-_Maniac.mp3"][b]Maniac[/b][/url][/quote]

Loved both of those songs. Manic is one of my all time favourite songs so great to hear it again.

Wow what a thread. I'll admit to getting a bit uninspired recently on BC (believe it or not) and not digging a lot of the threads. I'll check out some tunes a bit later when it's quieter at home. These 2 are mine.

The first track is called Somebody's Fool and was written by our singer / guitarist who was 15 at the time. I was 18 and it was recorded on a Tascam 4 track in 1984. As it was the 80's there is a chorus laden slap bass solo before the guitar solo!

[attachment=64800:Somebody__s_Fool.mp3]

The second track was recorded earlier last year for some of my students. It is self penned solo affair with 3 sections and some drum accompanyment to the 2nd & 3rd sections. It has some chordal work and was insipred by a Bach Cello Gavotte which was transcribed for bass by Rob Burns at the Basstech in Acton many years ago when I took private lessons.

[attachment=64801:Mep__s_B..._Gavotte.mp3]

This is me playing along to a single my old band, Inter released in 1999. The song is called Radio Finland. At the time I was talking to the singer and I said we should try and make this song very radio friendly but it came out as Radio Finland as I was very drunk and could not speak very well. The title just stuck. The bass is my ESP 400 series Jazz.

This song is from 2010 and is a fretless track from an album I am recording with a band called Echo 109. The song is called Dream World.

[attachment=64802:02_Dream_World.mp3]

Nigel, here is your chance to analyse my bass playing as discussed some months ago and tell me if I am an eternal optimist or a manic depressive :)

Edited by Linus27

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='1034317' date='Nov 23 2010, 07:59 PM']1982 seems a popular year:

[url="http://idisk.mac.com:80//ianhalstead/Public/BC/tracks/American-Express.mp3"]American Express[/url] from Sign Language.

[url="http://idisk.mac.com:80//ianhalstead/Public/BC/tracks/Song-five.mp3"]Song 5[/url] - from Fear of bicycles. Part of an improv session from a couple of months ago.[/quote]

Loved both of those songs. Might have to buy your two F.O.B albums. I love fretless and this is right up my street.

[quote name='Linus27' post='1034351' date='Nov 23 2010, 08:13 PM']This is me playing along to a single my old band, Inter released in 1999. The song is called Radio Finland. At the time I was talking to the singer and I said we should try and make this song very radio friendly but it came out as Radio Finland as I was very drunk and could not speak very well. The title just stuck. The bass is my ESP 400 series Jazz.

This song is from 2010 and is a fretless track from an album I am recording with a band called Echo 109. The song is called Dream World.

[attachment=64802:02_Dream_World.mp3]

Nigel, here is your chance to analyse my bass playing as discussed some months ago and tell me if I am an eternal optimist or a manic depressive :)[/quote]
You can make a major key sound sad. There's a deep sense of pathos in your playing. I think you are very self aware and consciously predict how you will react to situations, which takes some of the pleasure out of new experiences and can lead to introspection and lead to your being maudlin. Your playing reminds me of Peter Hook, you understand the power of melody but feel a deep sense of responsibility in life which led yo to play bass instead of guitar.

[quote name='silddx' post='1031918' date='Nov 21 2010, 09:20 PM']This is a track I recorded in 1992. I was a guitar player, and a complete f***ing fretw***er, but I think it's pretty good, but maybe a bit clichéd. I called it "No Feet Allowed" for some reason :) It was recorded on a Fostex X-26 4 Track cassette portastudio. I had a Yamaha SPX50D digital effects rack, and the drums were programmed on an Alesis HR16. I seem to remember it took nearly a week to do that!

[attachment=64571:01_Track_1.mp3][/quote]

Absolute love this, I tend to agree with Paul H, reminds me of Satch. You got a really good sound out of that portastudio, nothing I ever did with mine came out this clear :)

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='1033137' date='Nov 22 2010, 08:13 PM']...and something from this year:
[attachment=64699:ControlFinalMix.mp3][/quote]

Well this is brilliant, I think you had another thread with this on and I liked it then and I still like it now - fantastic stuff.

[quote name='urb' post='1033696' date='Nov 23 2010, 11:20 AM']Anyhow the first one is a classical/Tango piece by Astor Piazzola arranged and played brilliantly by a guitarist friend of mine called [url="http://jameswatson.eu/"]James Watson[/url] - we recorded this in 1995 or something like that - pre-digital and all that, hence it's a bit hissy... I'm doubling his lines and playing chords under the solo, on my trusty old Warwick Thumb original:

[attachment=64748:Little_Sunflower.mp3][/quote]

I only have one word AWESOME !

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1034279' date='Nov 23 2010, 07:39 PM']1982
[/quote]

Classic stuff ! Loving it.

[quote name='silddx' post='1034470' date='Nov 23 2010, 09:25 PM']You can make a major key sound sad. There's a deep sense of pathos in your playing. I think you are very self aware and consciously predict how you will react to situations, which takes some of the pleasure out of new experiences and can lead to introspection and lead to your being maudlin. Your playing reminds me of Peter Hook, you understand the power of melody but feel a deep sense of responsibility in life which led yo to play bass instead of guitar.[/quote]

Blimey, thats pretty damn good actually. Quite scary actually :)

[quote name='silddx' post='1034470' date='Nov 23 2010, 09:25 PM']You can make a major key sound sad. There's a deep sense of pathos in your playing. I think you are very self aware and consciously predict how you will react to situations, which takes some of the pleasure out of new experiences and can lead to introspection and lead to your being maudlin. Your playing reminds me of Peter Hook, you understand the power of melody but feel a deep sense of responsibility in life which led yo to play bass instead of guitar.[/quote]

Are you a Virgo?