Why become a member? ×

Something Old & Something New - Your Recordings.

xilddx

This might be interesting, I think :)

[b]Put up an early recording [/b]of you playing, a song, a composition, whatever you like, and [b]also put up a recent recording[/b].

I'll get something early of mine digitised tomorrow and sling it up here, along with sommat newer.

I know for a fact my bass ability was well meagre twenty years ago :) But I was really into composing stuff and playing guitar.

Ooh, nice one Nige!

This first track is Marigold and was recorded by my "I want to be famous" band some time around 92/94. It features our very own Mr. Fudge on guitar...

[url="https://sites.google.com/site/paulharckham/home/marigold.mp3"][b]Marigold[/b][/url]

And this one I recorded today just for a bit of fun! This one features, well, me!...

[url="https://sites.google.com/site/paulharckham/home/Isthisfunk.mp3"][b]Is This Funk[/b]?[/url]

Edited by paul h

[quote name='paul h' post='1029840' date='Nov 19 2010, 07:59 PM']Ooh, nice one Nige!

This first track is Marigold and was recorded by my "I want to be famous" band some time around 92/94. It features our very own Mr. Fudge on guitar...

[url="https://sites.google.com/site/paulharckham/home/marigold.mp3"][b]Marigold[/b][/url]

And this one I recorded today just for a bit of fun! This one features, well, me!...

[url="https://sites.google.com/site/paulharckham/home/Isthisfunk.mp3"][b]Is This Funk[/b]?[/url][/quote]
Haha! The Marigold track seems quite typical of its day! I remember gigging in that period and seeing a few bands like that. Good tune, and the singer has a good voice. BUT, hasn't your feel improved! Your funk number shows some serious slap chops there mate! It's a really great riff and almost like it's programmed, it's so tight and in time all the way through, cracking! Great tone too.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1030065' date='Nov 20 2010, 01:34 AM']Haha this should be a good thread. :)

My band when I was 17 (1991-ish):

My current band, earlier this year: [url="http://www.myspace.com/copaseticska/music/songs/Restless-69378405"]http://www.myspace.com/copaseticska/music/...stless-69378405[/url][/quote]
Ahhh, youthful exhuberance :lol: That was really fun to watch, and I also thought, like Paul, you would be in a band that was a bit, dark and serious :) Some really good playing on there, and I love your bass, it looks wickid!

Love your current band! I'll check out the rest of the tunes tomorrow. I love ska, and that is GOOD SKA! Lovely tone and playing mate, put a big smile on my mush just now!

I'm not going to have time to digitise my tape today, got a big Bollywood gig and got to be there at 4pm for a sound check. I had a listen to some last night after rehearsal though and I have found some sh*t I haven't listened to for years. I'll get them up tomorrow.

Thanks so much for putting these up gents, it is very interesting isn't it :D

[quote name='paul h' post='1030359' date='Nov 20 2010, 12:59 PM']Thanks Nigel...but I have to confess that the bass line is looped. I like to record riffs and load them into Reason and treat them as a sample.

:cheat:[/quote]
I had a small feeling it may have been :) It's a perfectly normal thing to do and it's a great line.

OK, here we are.

This is a track I recorded in 1992. I was a guitar player, and a complete f***ing fretw***er, but I think it's pretty good, but maybe a bit clichéd. I called it "No Feet Allowed" for some reason :) It was recorded on a Fostex X-26 4 Track cassette portastudio. I had a Yamaha SPX50D digital effects rack, and the drums were programmed on an Alesis HR16. I seem to remember it took nearly a week to do that!

[attachment=64571:01_Track_1.mp3]

This other is something I did about two years ago, the second last song I wrote and recorded, it's called "Crow". I wrote it on a Uke. I programmed the drums on an Alesis SR16, I'm singing on this too but I don't dig my singing voice much and for some reason only one side of the stereo vocal came out properly. It's a flawed recording but I really like the song.

[attachment=64608:Crow1.mp3]

Edited by silddx

May have put this up elsewhere, but anyway

Early - around late 70's we reckon [url="http://www.tideway-la.co.uk/ATF/im_always_with_you.mp3"][b]I'm Always With You[/b][/url] - a rather busy Shergold Marathon Fretless

Last Friday night - [url="http://www.tideway-la.co.uk/Alibi/Sounds/Alibi_Live_-_Maniac.mp3"][b]Maniac[/b][/url]

Wow Nigel...I love that track! And I am rather in awe of your fretw***ery! :) But I have to ask. 1992? Before or after The Extremist was released? :) Also, am I being stupid or is there no link for the other stuff?

Walman...very cool playing and great intonation on such a busy fretless track. Busy but works really well with the song. And that is fantastic cover version! I need to play that to my band so they can see what you can with "synth" song! Brilliant!

:lol:

Ooh yes, I'm going to have to root around in my Harddrive for something properly old - but great idea for a thread - and Nige - lovely noodling on that geetar track - but where's your new one? Would definitely like to hear that...

Keep them coming folks - time for a little show and tell! :)

Cheers

Mike

[quote name='urb' post='1032237' date='Nov 22 2010, 09:06 AM']Ooh yes, I'm going to have to root around in my Harddrive for something properly old - but great idea for a thread - and Nige - lovely noodling on that geetar track - but where's your new one? Would definitely like to hear that...

Keep them coming folks - time for a little show and tell! :lol:

Cheers

Mike[/quote]
Bugger. I stupidly had it saved as a massive WAV and didn't upload. Just converted it. It's in this post and the one above. God, the main vocal sounds so sh*t, the main verse vocal which I double tracked disappeared and I don't know what happened to it, so you have a splendidly weak backing vocal track in the verses although it gets a little better as the song progresses. Also the the vocal appears to be panned fairly hard left and right. I must have been stoned off my face when I mixed it :) Never mind, I don't like my singing voice much anyway :)

Thanks for the lovely comments on the other one!

[attachment=64608:Crow1.mp3]

Edited by silddx

I'm pretty sure I have some music I wrote and recorded aged 14 at home. It would have been done on a tascam cassette four track, I seem to remember lots of bouncing down and tape flipping for reverse vocals and the like. I'll try and post it later.

[quote name='paul h' post='1032198' date='Nov 22 2010, 08:10 AM']Wow Nigel...I love that track! And I am rather in awe of your fretw***ery! :lol: [b]But I have to ask. 1992? Before or after The Extremist was released? :D Also, am I being stupid or is there no link for the other stuff?[/b]

Walman...very cool playing and great intonation on such a busy fretless track. Busy but works really well with the song. And that is fantastic cover version! I need to play that to my band so they can see what you can with "synth" song! Brilliant!

:P[/quote]
Hahah! Thanks Paul :)

What is "The Extremist"? Is that Paul Gilbert or something? I was into Vai, Zappa, Rush, King Crimson, and dub/reggae. It's all in there :)

Link now sorted mate.

[quote name='WalMan' post='1031933' date='Nov 21 2010, 09:31 PM']May have put this up elsewhere, but anyway

Early - around late 70's we reckon [url="http://www.tideway-la.co.uk/ATF/im_always_with_you.mp3"][b]I'm Always With You[/b][/url] - a rather busy Shergold Marathon Fretless

Last Friday night - [url="http://www.tideway-la.co.uk/Alibi/Sounds/Alibi_Live_-_Maniac.mp3"][b]Maniac[/b][/url][/quote]
Wow! Really like the first track, but then I've always been a big Police fan and it's stylistically similar. Great playing! :)

Maniac is indeed a great cover as Paul pointed out! Top stuff!

[quote name='silddx' post='1032504' date='Nov 22 2010, 12:52 PM']Wow! Really like the first track, but then I've always been a big Police fan and it's stylistically similar. Great playing! :)

Maniac is indeed a great cover as Paul pointed out! Top stuff![/quote]
Cheers. Yup that was out Police era.

Maniac is actually a cover of a cover. We cribbed the version by a Norwegian band called Street Legal, and it got suggested by the vocalist. I think if I had gone in and said "hey guys how about doing Maniac from Footloose?" I would have been laughed out of the r/h room :)

[quote name='paul h' post='1032541' date='Nov 22 2010, 01:17 PM']Joe Satriani album.

Enjoyed Crow too.

This has potential to be the best thread on BC!

:)[/quote]
Cheers :)

Ahh, Satch. Never really got into him to be honest. Although he has a really distinctive sound and feel. Amazing player but I don't like his compositions that much. I preferred Vai, but I'm not into that sort of thing anymore really. Alex Lifeson always had the best tone and style for me. John Sykes from Whitesnake and Atomic Tommy M from '80s UFO really knocked me out though, both had great great style and ideas.

Here's me aged 17 or so (so, 2002ish). Recorded round a mates house on his 8 track (he played drums for me), with vocal mics. Bit of an early songwriting attempt, it's ok, but lacks any real attitude. The bass is a Rockbass Corvette, and the guitar is a lovely Fender Jaguar I owned for a bit, before becoming frustrated with it's many, many design flaws!

[attachment=64725:tookaride.mp3]

And this is my band this year. Recorded last month in fact. The bass is my Spector into the desk with a Sansamp RBI.

[attachment=64729:None_Shall_Pass.mp3]