Why become a member? ×

DR Neon strings. Anyone tried them?

dave_bass5

I just had a mailshot from Stringsdirect with these very funky looking strings in it.

Im tempted to try a set but thought i would ask around first.

[url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/7098-dr_4_string_neon_hidef_orange_bass_guitar_strings_45_105"]DR Neon Strings[/url]

Edited by dave_bass5

Got a set of yellow ones on my Graft. They're very... [b]YELLOW[/b]. In a big way. Here are a couple of quick snaps, which make them look tamer than they are in the flesh:

Haven't had the chance to get them under UV light, but I assume they look even more bonkers.

Sonically, they sound pretty much like Sunbeams (which is what they essentially are underneath, IIRC), and they feel good. A little "squeaky"-feeling under the fingers, like other coated strings I've played, but that seems to be wearing off a bit now. The colour, of course, isn't wearing off at all.

For the love of god, though, if you want a set, get them from [url="http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Guitar-Stuff-from-Guitar-Super-Hero"]these guys in the US[/url]. Around £10 cheaper than in the UK, quick delivery (less than a week) and didn't get stung for duty/VAT.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1027875' date='Nov 18 2010, 01:09 PM']I just had a mailshot from Stringsdirect with these very funky looking strings in it.

Im tempted to try a set but thought i would ask around first.

[url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/7098-dr_4_string_neon_hidef_orange_bass_guitar_strings_45_105"]DR Neon Strings[/url][/quote]
Hello mate,

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=109677&hl=DR+NEONS"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...amp;hl=DR+NEONS[/url]

They are great strings, as all DRs are. They are rich in the mids and bright sounding and BRIGHT LOOKING! Even in ordinary daylight they are incredibly lively :)

The coating is said to last 9 times longer than previous DR coatings, eg Black Beauties which are what I usually use.

Get them from the US and save a good few bob, you'de very extremely unlucky to be asked to pay duty on them, I have never had that problem. guitarsuperhero is where I got mine for about £20. They are a really friendly ebay store.

[quote name='silddx' post='1028024' date='Nov 18 2010, 03:19 PM']guitarsuperhero is where I got mine for about £20. They are a really friendly ebay store.[/quote]
They certainly are[s], but I've just noticed their price has already gone up since I got my set a couple of weeks ago. Now about £26 including delivery. Still about £10 cheaper than any UK stockists, I think[/s].

EDIT: Whoops! Just noticed they're 5-string sets, whereas I bought a 4-string set. My mistake. :)

Edited by BottomEndian

[quote name='silddx' post='1028024' date='Nov 18 2010, 03:19 PM']Hello mate,

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=109677&hl=DR+NEONS"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...amp;hl=DR+NEONS[/url]

They are great strings, as all DRs are. They are rich in the mids and bright sounding and BRIGHT LOOKING! Even in ordinary daylight they are incredibly lively :)

The coating is said to last 9 times longer than previous DR coatings, eg Black Beauties which are what I usually use.[/quote]

Very interesting - do you know if they are available in non-neon?! I have Black Beauties and have been very impressed with them, but was thinking I'd probably prefer a bit more mid-warmth from something like the Sunbeams, but I'd like them to be coated as it seems to make a real difference.

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1028064' date='Nov 18 2010, 03:49 PM']Very interesting - do you know if they are available in non-neon?! I have Black Beauties and have been very impressed with them, but was thinking I'd probably prefer a bit more mid-warmth from something like the Sunbeams, but I'd like them to be coated as it seems to make a real difference.[/quote]
Interesting, I find the BBs pretty warm, but I get it depends on your pups and tronics. I love the BBs and won't be swapping for Neons until they do the same coating as the Neons in black.

Cheers guys.
There is a longish thread on TB that ive read through and they do seem to be pretty decent strings.
Think ill get some orange for my black Jazz.

Also thanks for the links and photos. Ill have a shop around. Ive never used any DR strings before but have been meaning to try Sunbeams for ages so with the party season approaching this seems like a good excuse.

I cant find a 4 string set on Guitarsuperhero though, might have to look elsewhere.

And sorry for starting a duplicate thread. Lets spread the word.

EDIT: I just ordered some Orange strings from bassspecialties on ebay for $36.95 USD.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='silddx' post='1028342' date='Nov 18 2010, 07:53 PM']Interesting, I find the BBs pretty warm, but I get it depends on your pups and tronics. I love the BBs and won't be swapping for Neons until they do the same coating as the Neons in black.[/quote]

The BBs are certainly a bit more middy than the uncoated Hi-Beams (swapped between both on the same bass for direct comparison) but for me the growlier the mids the better - so I was hoping that a coated string based on the Sunbeams (reputedly warmer) would suit me down to a 'T'! I agree though, I don't fancy the neons on my newly-refinished MIM 70s J as it would totally wreck the old-school vibe I've spent bloody ages trying to perfect - oh vanity! Was wondering about the silver stars, hoping they look roughly like normal strings.

Edited by LawrenceH

As long as I don't get stung for tax etc mime have cost me £24. That's £10 cheaper than stringsdirect so I'm jalopy with that, although it would have been nice to get them for this weekend.
Funny enough we have a couple of social clubs coming up and they have black lights so hopefully I'll get the strings in time for those. First time I've looked forward to playing these places.

My Orange strings just turned up. Blimey, they are a lot brighter than i imagined. Thats good i guess. I was thinking they might look a bit dull under normal lighting but nope, these are going to stand out a mile.

I'll post a pic or two tonight once i have them on my HW-one.

[quote name='4 Strings' post='1037066' date='Nov 25 2010, 10:25 PM']What do they sound like?[/quote]

Ive never played DR strings before but have been meaning to try some Sumbeams.
First impressions arent great though. They seem more mellow with less growl, even compared to the 7-8 gig XL's i had on.
This is only through my PC so far but im used ot this set up and have been using it for a few years so i kind of know how it will sound through my rig.
Saying that, they look so cool that i am going to stick with them on this bass. Ill not use them this week but we are playing a Army Party next week and i think they will look great on stage (there is also a DJ so he is bound to have a blakc light).