Why become a member? ×

Bass for beginner: Ibanez GSR200 or Squier Affinity P-Bass?

Skol303

Hi folks,

I'm keen to get your opinion on a good quality bass for a 'beginner' (well, I used to play bass over 10 years ago, so I class myself as an 'old newbie'!).

I want something for home audio use, so ideally with passive pickups. Musically, the styles I'll be playing on it are dub / drum 'n' bass, some ska and occasionally rock/metal, so quite varied I suppose. I used to like playing around with distortion and wah pedals back in the day (Cliff Burton style!); not sure if that helps paints a picture of what I'm looking for, but heh.

My budget is no more £200 tops (so yeah, I can't quite stretch to a Rickenbacker 4001!).

At present, I'm considering either the Ibanez GSR200 or Squier Affinity P-Bass. Both retail at around the £180 mark new, and both seem to score highly in online reviews.

Trouble is, I can't for the life of me decide on which one to buy!

If anyone has an advice or suggestions here, they'd be greatly appreciated. Also, if you know of other makes/models that seem to fit what I'm looking for, then please make suggestions.

Many thanks in advance.

PS: cheers to whoever wrote the sticky thread on 'buying your first bass' (or whatever it's called) - very useful.

[quote name='Skol303' post='1026956' date='Nov 17 2010, 03:23 PM']Hi folks,

I'm keen to get your opinion on a good quality bass for a 'beginner' (well, I used to play bass over 10 years ago, so I class myself as an 'old newbie'!).

I want something for home audio use, so ideally with passive pickups. Musically, the styles I'll be playing on it are dub / drum 'n' bass, some ska and occasionally rock/metal, so quite varied I suppose. I used to like playing around with distortion and wah pedals back in the day (Cliff Burton style!); not sure if that helps paints a picture of what I'm looking for, but heh.

My budget is no more £200 tops (so yeah, I can't quite stretch to a Rickenbacker 4001!).

At present, I'm considering either the Ibanez GSR200 or Squier Affinity P-Bass. Both retail at around the £180 mark new, and both seem to score highly in online reviews.

Trouble is, I can't for the life of me decide on which one to buy!

If anyone has an advice or suggestions here, they'd be greatly appreciated. Also, if you know of other makes/models that seem to fit what I'm looking for, then please make suggestions.

Many thanks in advance.

PS: cheers to whoever wrote the sticky thread on 'buying your first bass' (or whatever it's called) - very useful.[/quote]

I use both Ibanez and Fender (which is related to the Squier of course).
Your best bet is to go track these instruments down and have a play - they are two totally different instruments and one of them will probably grab your attention more than the other.

The other thing to consider is perhaps picking up a used instrument - you tend to get far more bass for your money that way...

Edited by icastle

I`ve not got any experience of Ibanez basses, but did have a Squier Affinity Precision as a backup bass a few years back, and was amazed at the sound, quality and playability of it, for a so called budget/entry instrument. A lot of bass for the money. I`d also consider Yamaha basses, again a lot of instrument for the money.

Also, as icastle said, 2nd hand worth a look at, plenty of quality gear on here for grabs.

I owned both of these back in my youth - the Ibanez got gigged a lot, but had some issues with the neck, and (probably due to my own inexperience at looking after these things) ended up warped beyond playability, and has since wound up in a skip.

The Squier was my first choice bass until the day I bought a Stingray. It's still in my collection, although it's been souped up with a Badass II bridge, Wizard pickups and all new pots/wiring. I actually took it out for a fair few gigs this year, and it still plays and sounds great.

Based on that totally subjective personal experience (and my preference for 'classic' looking basses), I'd go Squier every time - although you should get your hands dirty with both and see how you feel about them.

They are both decent for the money. The only thing I would say is that if you decide to keep the Jazz, you can easily upgrade it/sell it on. I have found in the past that Ibby`s are harder to sell on if you decide too.

But as said, keep your eye on the s/h section here as you can pick up something nice for £200, especially now. You are in Vintage Modified Jazz teritory there which is a much better buy.

Jez

^ Cheers for the advice folks, very much appreciated.

I've since had a change of heart and am now going to look for a second-hand bass instead; still around the same price range but it seems to make sense after reading comments here and chatting about it with a few gigging mates of mine (i.e. more bass for my buck$).. I might still end up with an Ibby or a Squier mind you!

If anyone here is selling second-hand, around £150-200 or so, then let me know as I'm all ears (based in Manchester but have car/will travel within reason).

I've had a trawl of the marketplace here, but you folks seem to be playing/selling out of my league, to be honest - some very nice gear on offer here, but most of it beyond my budget (PS. for the site admins: it would be great if I could search the marketplace listings based on price, to save having to trawl through 'em all - I'm not a good window shopper at the best of times! Just my tuppence-worth).

Thanks again all.