Why become a member? ×

Ashdown FreeBASS

99ster

[quote name='Machines' post='117036' date='Jan 9 2008, 02:56 PM']Yeah - might be getting one for review next month :).[/quote]

Cool - I bet there'll be a lot of interested Basschatters waiting to read that....
And then maybe a rash of wireless systems for sale on here & eBay?
:huh:

Edited by 99ster

"Another unique feature is a Modeling control on the receiver that selects between 16 DSP-enhanced bass settings, adding sonic versatility to an already outstanding bass wireless system."

er Modeling in your wireless system? Why?
Left over bits of Superfly?

Oh by the way I love thir drugs related naming convention
What next? The Craic Head? The Skunk Funk Combo?

• 1 month later...

[quote name='OldGit' post='142726' date='Feb 18 2008, 08:46 PM']Did you get one? At £170 it could be a world beater :)[/quote]

I've been lazy with reviews in the last few weeks so will wait until i've got more time ! There's an interesting twist to my current review bass..

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='coasterbass' post='152480' date='Mar 6 2008, 04:29 PM']I see these are retailing at £149 now. Has anyone tried one??

What with the Thomann T-bone wireless kit going cheap, and the interest in the AKG Bug thingies at £79, it would be great to know what a 'dedicated bass wireless system' offers for the extra £70.[/quote]

Dunno about the cheap wireless units but what you get with the Sennheiser EW 172 is bass ....

and treble and mid too .. ie full range tone with very little audible difference (live) to a high quality cable.

• 1 year later...

I bought one and sent it back. It has 99 channels all of which produce a nasty electronic sound whenever you play a note. I've now bought a [b]Shure PG14E T10[/b] from Thomann ([url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/shure_pg14e_t10_guitar.htm"] PLEASE CLICK HERE[/url]) and it is the nuts.

My advice, stay away from the Freebass. It's cheap rubbish from Ashdown and I am very disappointed.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='jimbartlett' post='467215' date='Apr 20 2009, 09:17 AM']I bought one and sent it back. It has 99 channels all of which produce a nasty electronic sound whenever you play a note. I've now bought a [b]Shure PG14E T10[/b] from Thomann ([url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/shure_pg14e_t10_guitar.htm"] PLEASE CLICK HERE[/url]) and it is the nuts.

My advice, stay away from the Freebass. It's cheap rubbish from Ashdown and I am very disappointed.[/quote]

I bought one and love it!

Absolutely crystal clear, mine is. Maybe you got a lemon?

Extremely easy to use and the tone modelling is a bit of a bonus - couple of really usable setting on there if you want 'em. If not, just bypass 'em.

My only gripe is that the cable for the transmitter is a bit lame. Can see myself knackering it quite easily. However 4 pin mini USB's aren't that expensive and it would only take a short while to make myself a more masculine cable.

The battery life is ridiculous too - I've had roughly 8 hours of use out of the set I have in now and the gauge still shows half full! That's 5 gigs on 2 batteries!

I'd say give it a go, it's the best wireless I've had.

Edit - Sounds Live are knocking 'em out for 130 quid now too!

Edited by Hellrazor

I have had one for about 6 months,

at first there was a certain amount of electric noise with each note, but i think this may be down to the cable supplied,
I use my own jack to jack for the receiver to amp, and I got a cable from OBBM for £20 and I love it now!
Great tone, and the models are all usable, although I don't bother! battery life is good too!

[quote name='99ster' post='117035' date='Jan 9 2008, 03:55 PM']Ooooh!

[url="http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/freebass/index.asp"]http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/freebass/index.asp[/url][/quote]

MB1. :rolleyes:
.....Tried to walk out of Musicground with one of these!....only to find.... it wasn't Free at all! :)

[quote name='Pkomor' post='503272' date='Jun 1 2009, 08:33 PM']I have had one for about 6 months,

at first there was a certain amount of electric noise with each note, but i think this may be down to the cable supplied,
I use my own jack to jack for the receiver to amp, and I got a cable from OBBM for £20 and I love it now!
Great tone, and the models are all usable, although I don't bother! battery life is good too![/quote]

Aha, sorry, I forgot to mention that I bought a decent cable for it too!

[quote name='jimbartlett' post='503581' date='Jun 2 2009, 10:23 AM']To be fair, I didn't replace the cable (really you shouldn't need to though!). All the toys came out of the pram and I sent it back :) . I bought a Sure wireless and it is fantastic.[/quote]

You're absolutely right, mind - the cable provided should be up to the job.
Works a treat with a the new one though, and you could actually make one yourself for much less moola with the jack and mini XLR from the cable provided, a length of Van Damme cable and a strategically placed soldering iron....

It's not rack mountable I'm afraid.

I'm gonna be in the market for wireless soon...My playing on stage has always been nutty...It's fair enough the guitarists have learned to duck ( :rolleyes: ) but the cable gets in the way and restricts movement...and expression...

I wanna know what this one is like if someone can review. :)

• 6 months later...

forgot to post.........got a freebass a month or 2 ago, wired a decent jack and cable. All clear and works great although 2 of the DSP settings are a wee bit noisy. still for £119 I found it miles better than others I have tried. 5 gigs so far and no problems, great reception and great battery life.
cheers
s

[quote name='bythesea' post='504062' date='Jun 2 2009, 05:13 PM']Haven't used one but there is a review of it in this month's BGM[/quote]

MB1. :)
Had mine a while now
Not had any problems with it at all!(No Spinal Tap Airbase moments)...Does exactly what it says on the tin!...i do advise changing the cables for better quality ones though! as the ones included are bargain bin specials.Mine have been changed for neutriks which work fine.