Why become a member? ×

At last, a genuinely rare & vintage bass

Happy Jack

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AMPEG-ASB-1-DEVIL-BASS-/160494877947?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item255e3d7cfb"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AMPEG-ASB-1-DEVIL-BA...=item255e3d7cfb[/url]

The description is good value too:

[b][i]THE BASS IS RIGHT HANDED BUT IS DESIGNED TO BE ABLE TO PLAY LEFT HANDED IF REQUIRED BY SIMPLY TURNING IT OVER. THERE ARE 2 STRAP BUTTONS AND 2 THUMB RESTS FOR THIS PURPOSE [/i][/b]

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1025499' date='Nov 16 2010, 08:25 AM']I know nothing about Ampeg basses and their value but I must admit I had to double take when I saw how much it was listed for.[/quote]
Hey Tim, thought you would be a fan of the Ampeg scroll bass, given its huge Rick Danko associations. See pic below

[attachment=64065:rd_71.jpg]

[quote name='Clarky' post='1025500' date='Nov 16 2010, 08:33 AM']Hey Tim, thought you would be a fan of the Ampeg scroll bass, given its huge Rick Danko associations. See pic below

[attachment=64065:rd_71.jpg][/quote]
I am a huge fan but they rarely come up when I have the funds. I've seen the copies which are also fairly rare. It could happen for me one day

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1025520' date='Nov 16 2010, 08:55 AM']If anyone's interested in getting an Ampeg Scroll Bass. I'd recommend getting in touch with the Bass Gallery and asking if the [url="http://www.thebassgallery.com/product_details.cfm?ID=1129&type=Bass%20Guitar"]Bruce Johnson AUB-2[/url] is still available.[/quote]
It was there when I last went in (a couple of weeks ago). Its very nice but pricey for a replica, even if hand made

I'd look at the Bruce Johnson bass against the original Ampeg Scroll Bass, in the same way as I'd look at the appropriate Celinder or Alleva Coppolo models against a proper MIA Fender. It's got the looks and all the essential features, but with the majority of the irritating quirks of the original sorted out and over all it's a far superior instrument.

As far as other Ampeg replicas go, I've not played the Eastwood version, but I have played the Italia Modulo and the Bruce Johnson is in a completely different league. The Eastwood and Italia copies are OK if you want something that looks vaguely like an Ampeg Scroll bass but that's as far as it goes. The Bruce Johnson version is for those who need to get as close to the original as possible without sacrificing the quality of modern basses that we're used to.

Anyone interested in this bass should probably read [url="http://xstrange.com/asb1.html"]this[/url] from Bruce Johnson's web site.

He estimates that there were around 100 Devil Basses made, and that the serial numbers are mixed in with those of the AEB-1 and AUB-1s (of which there were over 1000) hence the number in the 900s.

Hi.

I've actually seen this actual bass, very close up.

Looks like the real deal.

Action seemed a little on the high side and I think the strings
are of the same period as the bass!! :)

Could do with a bit of a clean :lol:

Not sure I would want to part with anything like that amount of money.

Horses for courses, perhaps someone elses cup of tea. :)

Cheers.