Why become a member? ×

Epifani Owners

ConnorHamilton

Hey guys!

I've always wanted some epi gear, it looks fantastic. Only problem is I have nowhere to try it less a trip to The Gallery ie 1000 miles round trip! (Which I did 3 years ago for an Eden head! Haha!)

Please could I have some info/thoughts/opinions/stories/insight/anything?!

Would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Connor

Edited by ConnorHamilton

Hey Connor,

I had an Epifani UL210 for 4 years and only moved it on earlier this year. I have to say it was an awesome cab and easily the best of the neo speaker cabs that I tried at the Gallery at that time.

It was small and light but had a massive bottom end - I always wanted to pair it with a UL115 to see how huge the sound would be but never got around to it. I have gone to Bergantino cabs now but still miss the light weight of the Epi cabs.

I think that if you buy there cabs you won't be disappointed - have never tried their amps though I am afraid.

[quote name='ConnorHamilton' post='1023098' date='Nov 14 2010, 03:14 AM']Hey guys!

I've always wanted some epi gear, it looks fantastic. Only problem is I have nowhere to try it less a trip to The Gallery ie 1000 miles round trip! (Which I did 3 years ago for an Eden head! Haha!)

Please could I have some info/thoughts/opinions/stories/insight/anything?!

Would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Connor[/quote]

I had the 410. It was one of the best bass sounds I've had. I loved it and only sold it when I bought the Bergantino 210's.

I don't know what you're playing but Epifani cabs will make it sound better. I think there are some cabs in the For Sale section. I would be happy to recommend Epifani even if you can't try it first. I think there's a 502 amp for sale as well.

I actually sold by Berg HS210 in favour of the Epi 410UL. I had the opportunity to directly compare the two in a gigging situation and found that whilst the Berg had what can only be considered as an absolutely amazing low end for a 210 cab, it's mids were discernably more nasal. I just find the Epi a warmer cab.

I've had a UL310 Series 2 for a few years now and I love it. Normally I change gear with ridiculous regularity - but I've never thought of changing this, so that's high praise from me. Very light (one hand carry) and punches way above its weight. Nice warm tone. Doesn't break up under severe 5 string slap fest abuse, punchy mids and a sweet top. Also louder and less power hungry than the EA cabs I had previously and a nicer tone than a Schroeder 1210.

Before I committed to buying my Berg cabs I took my existing rig up to Bass Direct and was able to A/B the Epi UL210 against the 1x12 Berg's and I found that the 12" Bergs were a lot warmer sounding and had a much better bottom end. That is why I changed cabs rather than a whim - perhaps Berg's just work better with Mark Bass heads than Epi cabs?

[quote name='Rumble' post='1023642' date='Nov 14 2010, 05:41 PM']I actually sold by Berg HS210 in favour of the Epi 410UL. I had the opportunity to directly compare the two in a gigging situation and found that whilst the Berg had what can only be considered as an absolutely amazing low end for a 210 cab, it's mids were discernably more nasal. I just find the Epi a warmer cab.[/quote]

I have two Epifani UL112 cabs and a UL310 cab that I run with a Markbass LMK head. With either setup of speakers I've never found volume, punch or clarity to be an issue. The light weight of the cabs is an absolute bonus. I previously owned an Epifani UL-902C amp that I found to be very dull sounding and have a very limited EQ section. It had plenty of power but I was never done tweaking things to get a clearer sound.

I've had a ul310 and ul112c and still have a ul112 and ul502. In my opinion, Epi gear is some of the best around (and ridiculously light). The ul502 is by far my favourite non-valve amp. It's very clean, fast, responsive and 'hifi' - not for everybody I'd suspect. It's also very quiet, well spec'd and flexible - seriously meets the Epi description of having the characteristics of a high end channel strip (or two). I've used the ul502 up against Markbass gear and, though the latter was impressive, the Epi was preferable for me. I'm told that pairing Epi amps with cabs delivers very good results (other amps with epi cabs and vice versa is not always a success - this appears to be the opinion on Talkbass but I've no real experience).

I run an Eden WT400 with an Epifani 610UL .
Previously I ran the amp with an Eden 410XLT (which I've still got)
Bought a 410UL from the Gallery (another I've still got) , and went down to buy the EA410 when it first come out . Epi blew it out of the water .

Epi 410ul = just over half the weight of the Eden , still seems to sound similar (low end , punchy as hell) - no contest really with the weight issue .
Epi 610ul = more of the same , and then some . Still lighter than the Eden 410 .

If I could buy two 112UL's and had the money spare , I'd buy without trying .

At this level , there is no crap gear , just a difference of opinion , but it goes in "flavours of the month " . A few years back everyone was using Eden , then Epifani , and now Bergantino .

It's just a pity that you're so far away from a dealer to be able to try one .

I really find them great cabs .

Edited by E sharp

• 1 month later...

I have The Epifani UL 502 amp and an Epifani UL 410 series 1 cab.

All i can say that this is the best bass rig that I have owned and I can't see me getting rid of it any time soon . I love it :)

This cab is light and can be carried in one hand. The amp produces a clear / punchy / hi fi clarity bass tone . My stingray 5 string sounds fantastic. The B string is Clear and perfectly drfined .

No matter what bass you plug into this rig , it will handle it .

I highly recomend the Epi Gear :)

Quality gear..

I find the 12" cabs a bit pillowy..which is a term you might hear a lot regarding Epifani, which isn't my thing, but plenty want and love it.

I guess I define pillowey as soft, which isn't what I want my low strings to sound like..I like it firm..!! Big but firm.

Edited by JTUK

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Epifani UL210 (4ohm) as well as a Bergantino HT112 (8 ohm) and an HT322. I tend to bring the UL210 to smaller gigs over the HT112 because its lighter and louder (the ohms difference allows more juice). There is a tonal difference and I prefer the bergy tone (heavier bottom end, scooped mid) so I will use the Bergs when tone really matters. If it's just a "gig", I take the Epi to save my back.