Why become a member? ×

Gloves for bass playing

Annoying Twit

I think I spotted a bass players wearing gloves meme.

Sometimes I wake up early in the morning, and have often taken the opportunity to practice some bass. But, the heating isn't yet on, and my hands are cold. Given that it would be bad for the environment and the pocket etc. to turn the heating on, I was wondering about gloves, and think I remember people here wearing gloves while playing.

If so, what types/brands of gloves do people wear when playing? Do you buy regular gloves and chop the finger ends off, or do you buy already fingertipless gloves?

Just about to leave for a gig and I saw this thread, I'm currently wearing gloves in order for my hands not to get too cold beforehand! Never tried this before. I'll leave them on until about 5 minutes before I go on for my first set. Seems a bit dramatic but I definitely know how you feel, I just cannot play when I'm too cold. I'll let you know how it pans out for me.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1022934' date='Nov 13 2010, 09:52 PM']I got some fingerless gloves for busking because it's cold. They are MENS FINGERLESS GLOVES I GOT THEM FROM THE ARMY AND NAVY STORES, and I am wearing them because it is COLD. I am NOT wearing Audrey Hepburn gloves like Nigel, I would like to make that VERY CLEAR.[/quote]
:)

mittens for kittens.

I wear some cheap one size fits all pound shop gloves, and i used to wear some Kona MTB Gloves over them for practice. That room gets so cold we have to warm up one of the guitar amps to get it to work. Ski coat, hat, gloves, scarf and jeans fer me. I hate trying to play on cold strings, makes me thing there gonna be really brittle and snap for some reason.

Liam

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1023813' date='Nov 14 2010, 07:38 PM']Im ordering some of those silk gloves purely to prevent my sweaty hands ruining my strings after a 1hr set.[/quote]
That's the primary reason to wear them, and they work.

I wear them because I like to look like Audrey Hepburn :)

[quote name='silddx' post='1023846' date='Nov 14 2010, 07:56 PM']I wear them because I like to look like Audrey Hepburn :)[/quote]
Please don't say things like that, I thought Audrey was very attractive - now I've an uncomfortable image in my head.

Do you go the whole hog? Which movie do you go for? Charade? Roman Holiday? Breakfast at Tiffany's?

In actual fact don't tell me I wouldn't be able to watch them again

:)

[quote name='Marvin' post='1024574' date='Nov 15 2010, 01:20 PM']Please don't say things like that, I thought Audrey was very attractive - now I've an uncomfortable image in my head.

Do you go the whole hog? Which movie do you go for? Charade? Roman Holiday? Breakfast at Tiffany's?

In actual fact don't tell me I wouldn't be able to watch them again[/quote]

At least we're still safe with "How To Steal A Million".

Whoops...

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1024723' date='Nov 15 2010, 03:13 PM']At least we're still safe with "How To Steal A Million".

Whoops...[/quote]

Oh well that's another one gone.

I've got images of Nigel turning up at a Take That concert dressed as Audrey Hepburn, for some reason :)