Why become a member? ×

Is this a good deal?

Jono Bolton

[quote name='jono b' post='116322' date='Jan 8 2008, 04:40 PM']Found this in the clearance on Soundslive.co.uk: [url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Gallien-Krueger-700RB-II~ID~8144.asp"]GK 700RB-II[/url]
Anyone tried one of these? Searching about on the net for a decent gig-able bass amp.[/quote]

Yep, very good amp and definitely suitable for gigging - think that price is good too, though I haven't checked it against other outlets

Edited by Platypus

[quote name='Platypus' post='116340' date='Jan 8 2008, 04:58 PM']Yep, very good amp and definetly suitable for gigging - think that price is good too, though I haven't checked it against other outlets[/quote]

Thats in the clearance section. Think they have it new for about £460 or so.

What size of case would i need then if I was putting it in a case. Would 2U be too small? Would I need a 4U and then have a bit of extra space? I've been thinking about getting a rack mounted head and then a case to go with it. The only thing that's putting me off is that I can't try it out.

[quote name='Stewart' post='116429' date='Jan 8 2008, 06:49 PM']You'd want 3U (you just need some room at the top)

A perforated/vented 1U panel would finish it off nicely...[/quote]

:) I know nothing about rack mounted stuff, I thought it went up in 2s, 2U, 4U and so on. Been looking at the Ashdown ABM rack mounted one too. Will it work just the same as a normal head? Is the case just for protection for gigging?

[quote name='Stewart' post='116429' date='Jan 8 2008, 06:49 PM']You'd want 3U (you just need some room at the top)

I've got my 1001 in a 2U case and made some vent holes on top where the fan is. Being the modern plastic stuff it looks ok too.

I've got my 1001 in a 2U case and made some vent holes on top where the fan is. Being the modern plastic stuff it looks ok too.

[quote name='jono b' post='116438' date='Jan 8 2008, 07:00 PM']:) I know nothing about rack mounted stuff, I thought it went up in 2s, 2U, 4U and so on. Been looking at the Ashdown ABM rack mounted one too. Will it work just the same as a normal head? Is the case just for protection for gigging?[/quote]

Yes, just additional protection - I still haven't racked mine yet, but I must - if it fell even a couple of feet it'd do some damage to itself...

I thought about a padded carry bag, but the GK one is over £100, so sod that!
I've got a 4U rack bag affair on the way at half that price (they didn't have a 3U).

The 2U + a bit of drilling would be fine too though...

[quote name='Stewart' post='116504' date='Jan 8 2008, 08:17 PM']Yes, just additional protection - I still haven't racked mine yet, but I must - if it fell even a couple of feet it'd do some damage to itself...

I thought about a padded carry bag, but the GK one is over £100, so sod that!
I've got a 4U rack bag affair on the way at half that price (they didn't have a 3U).

The 2U + a bit of drilling would be fine too though...[/quote]

There's a 3U rack head case for sales or swaps in the Market Place, can't remember which section though, possible bargain.

What sort of sound is this suited to? My band is heavy-ish, progressivey rock. More Floyd than Tool. I need a thick, meaty bass sound, something along the lines of Jon Pierce (Reuben), or Garrett Tierney (Brand New). Loud and bassy really. Would this suit me? I really liked the sound of Ashdowns, if that's any help.

[quote name='jono b' post='116544' date='Jan 8 2008, 09:03 PM']I need a thick, meaty bass sound,[/quote]

If youd be ok with adding 'punchy' and maybe 'growly' then Id say youd be very happy.

They arent vintage and old school like Ashdown though, think more modern. You really need to try one before laying THAT amount of money surely?

I (so far) run with almost everything flat - a little EQ to help with the room, that's all. I've never been much above 1/2, with almost no 'boost' at any time, so haven't got into 'growl' country yet...

But I'd definitely put 'punchy' in there!
I bought mine (and a pair of 1x12 Neos) after hearing Kiwi's RB700 combo (with a variety of basses) at the SouthEast bash - haven't regretted it.

Thats just missing out on one of the best features of the amp IMO. What you want is enough gain to almost clip the input and then boost at at least 1o'clock. Then as much on the master as you need, usually not very much.

Actually, thats what I want. Your loss. :)

Edited by Jack

[quote name='Jack' post='116551' date='Jan 8 2008, 09:11 PM']If youd be ok with adding 'punchy' and maybe 'growly' then Id say youd be very happy.

They arent vintage and old school like Ashdown though, think more modern. You really need to try one before laying THAT amount of money surely?[/quote]

I said earlier that I couldn't try one out so I was a bit unsure. Didn't really expect them to be Ashdowny, but the Ashdowns sound nice IMO. Punchy and growly are both perfectly acceptable! Anyone know where I can try one, preferably near Glasgow?