Why become a member? ×

Hagstrom 8 string

fryer

Just bought this, and it's lovely. Easy to play, short scale which I like, and sounds good. Our band, which I recently joined, just has one ( very good ) guitar, so on some songs we need a fuller sound, which this bass gives. Surprised they're not more popular.

I was thinking of changing from roundwound to flatwound, and BigRedX has made me wonder if I'm doing the right thing. Comments please.

Edited by fryer

Fantastic! I really like to look of these basses.

Out of interest how in tune are the strings in each course at the 12th fret? I've always been put off by 8-string basses that don't have intonation adjustment for each string in the course because to my ear they are too out of tune by the time I get past the 7th fret.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1022210' date='Nov 13 2010, 09:49 AM']Fantastic! I really like to look of these basses.

Out of interest how in tune are the strings in each course at the 12th fret? I've always been put off by 8-string basses that don't have intonation adjustment for each string in the course because to my ear they are too out of tune by the time I get past the 7th fret.[/quote]

Shouldn't be any excuse for that these days - I have a Burns Double Six & each of the 12 bridges is intonatable (intonable?) so it should be able to be done on an bass 8er.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GOTOH-12-STRING-BRIDGE-GTC-12-DANELECTRO-BURNS-etc-/320613815390?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item4aa612945e"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GOTOH-12-STRING-BRID...=item4aa612945e[/url]

Yup, the only 8 string bridge I could find is not adjustable on all strings:

[url="http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/viewimage.x/00000000/bezdez/419htw4.jpg?vvid=33140045&sp=0&vsid=1&vgp=0&vimgs=419htw1.jpg,419htw2.jpg,419htw3.jpg,419htw4.jpg"]http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/viewimage....jpg,419htw4.jpg[/url]

Time they were.

G.

There are fully adjustable bridges for 8-strings basses. My cheapo Carlo Robelli has one, and the same unit is used on the Dean and Schecter 8-stringers. However while it allows each string to be individually intonated, it's not the most attractive piece of hardware, nor is it particularly good from a sustain PoV.

[url="http://guitar-parts.biz:80/hp305217/Artikel-Liste.htm?ITServ=C75066bd5X12c44da4976X17ac"]Schaller[/url] have a version of their 3D bridge for 8-string basses in their catalogue, and Tune Japan make a variety of 8-string basses with intonation adjustments for each string including a trem-equipped version!

IMO the only way these days you can get away without allowing individual adjustments of the intonation of each string in a course is if the saddles are pre-compensated and you sell special sets of strings to match, although that would limit your string choice to a particular type and gauge, that approach is vaguely feasible.

Unfortunately it's not only manufacturers of basses that still don't seem to realise the importance of being able to intonate each string in course individually. Both Gibson and Deusenberg make (expensive) 12 string guitars where each pair of strings shares a single saddle. Unbelievable!

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1022210' date='Nov 13 2010, 09:49 AM']Fantastic! I really like to look of these basses.

Out of interest how in tune are the strings in each course at the 12th fret? I've always been put off by 8-string basses that don't have intonation adjustment for each string in the course because to my ear they are too out of tune by the time I get past the 7th fret.[/quote]

The intonation is a bit out on all strings, up to 1.5 cents. And comparing the main strings to the octave strings, there is only up to one cent difference. This is with the roundwound strings it came with - only got it this week. I've ordered a new set of flats, and when fitted I will intonate properly and let ypu know.

Thanks! That doesn't sound too bad.

I nearly bought a Kramer aluminium neck 8-string about 5 years ago. But the tuning difference between the octave strings and the main ones was simply too painful to stand as I played higher up the neck. These new Hagstroms look really interesting, but I think I would definitely need to try before parting with my cash to make sure that the tuning difference between each string in the course was acceptable all the way up the neck.

BTW what make of flats have you found for an 8-string? I can't imagine how that would sound - it certainly wouldn't be the effect I'd be going for...

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1022914' date='Nov 13 2010, 09:25 PM']Thanks! That doesn't sound too bad.

I nearly bought a Kramer aluminium neck 8-string about 5 years ago. But the tuning difference between the octave strings and the main ones was simply too painful to stand as I played higher up the neck. These new Hagstroms look really interesting, but I think I would definitely need to try before parting with my cash to make sure that the tuning difference between each string in the course was acceptable all the way up the neck.

BTW what make of flats have you found for an 8-string? I can't imagine how that would sound - it certainly wouldn't be the effect I'd be going for...[/quote]

My main bass is a Hofner Club 500 / 2, semi acc, short scale with flats. It sounds just right for me, nice and bassy - woody ?

The Hag came with, slightly worn, rounds. I am changing them just 'cos I like flats. I ordered flats but they sent rounds by mistake, and I've asked them to change them. But you've got me worried now. How much difference would they make ?

So who makes flats for an 8-string bass?

I use my 8-string for Peter hook-type bass lines - tuneful riffs with lots of high notes played with a pick. I can't imagine what it would sound like with flats, but I can't help thinking that in my hands it would end up being muddy and indistinct...

[quote name='evilLordJuju' post='1024861' date='Nov 15 2010, 04:56 PM']Yes, who does?

I have a couple 1960s Hagstrom 8 strings, and i've had to mix a set of flatwound bass strings with the bottom 4 strings of a flatwound guitar set (rotosound tapewounds)[/quote]

Well Strings Direct are trying to get a set from Picato - I'll let you know. But what you've done sounds ok ? Why do you prefer flats ? Could you send a photo of your 60's Hagstrom, or is there one on here somewhere ?

[quote name='fryer' post='1025035' date='Nov 15 2010, 07:08 PM']Well Strings Direct are trying to get a set from Picato - I'll let you know. But what you've done sounds ok ? Why do you prefer flats ? Could you send a photo of your 60's Hagstrom, or is there one on here somewhere ?[/quote]

Well I only use flats on all my basses. I prefer the rounded mellow tone over the clank of roundwounds. Rounds are necessary if you have too many guitarists using too many effects, and your bass can't cut through. I don't join those kind of bands if I can help it, and so the flats sit nicely in the overall sound giving a lovely vintage tone.

And I'm guessing the 60s Hagstroms came with flats from the factory, although I may be wrong on that.

The bass on this page is mine: [url="http://www.vintageguitars.org.uk/hag8.php"]hagstrom 8 string bass[/url], but i've also got the darker sunburst one pictured in Tony Bacons book, which may even be made of different body wood. Haven't decided for sure.

The guitar string method works ok, I just wish the D string was a couple inches longer. It works, but i'd be happier with more wrap.