Why become a member? ×

Fingers.

Marvin

Obviously as you play more the calluses on your finger tips build up, and to aid this one you use such things as surgical spirit et al.
My problem is that because I work outside, the cold (dry/frosty bits) weather dries my hands out to the point sometimes my skin splits - similar to a [b]very[/b] deep paper cut.

So how much will moisturising products compromise the building and maintenance of the calluses on my stubby mitts? Or is it irrelevant?

I'm in a slight catch 22 because if I don't use something to prevent drying out then I can't play anyway as the splits in my hands can be very painful.

:)

It depends whereabouts you get the split skin. I used to get this alot when working outside, especially with the skin around my thumbnails. One trick it to wrap up areas you know will be a problem with some good wrapping plaster, as a pre-emptive measure, and carry a batch with you. Or duct or insulating tape if you're going the hardcore route!

It's worth a try. Luckily a roll of the stuff is cheap! It can wear out pretty quickly, especially if your hands get wet, but it really depends on what you're doing. The trick is to wrap one layer for your skin and a second layer for the first layer - just not too tightly :)

[quote name='Marvin' post='1019502' date='Nov 10 2010, 11:17 PM']Obviously as you play more the calluses on your finger tips build up, and to aid this one you use such things as surgical spirit et al.
My problem is that because I work outside, the cold (dry/frosty bits) weather dries my hands out to the point sometimes my skin splits - similar to a [b]very[/b] deep paper cut.

So how much will moisturising products compromise the building and maintenance of the calluses on my stubby mitts? Or is it irrelevant?

I'm in a slight catch 22 because if I don't use something to prevent drying out then I can't play anyway as the splits in my hands can be very painful.

:)[/quote]

If your fingers crack in the areas that you don't use to play with then there shouldn't be a problem (as long as you aim the cream carefully).

If they are cracking in places where you [b]do[/b] play the my wife reckons that Neutrogena helps to heal the crack without softening your hands.

HTH

Used to have the same problem, here with the same symptoms. Your hands need protecting. I use a [i]really[/i] good pair of gloves - Thinsulate lined, Goretex waterproofing and leather outer shell for toughness. Keep my hands warm and protected from the elements all day and leave them like Nanette Newmans' after she's been doing the washing up. Cost a bomb, but work pays for them.

[quote name='Marvin' post='1019502' date='Nov 11 2010, 12:17 AM']Obviously as you play more the calluses on your finger tips build up, and to aid this one you use such things as surgical spirit et al.

:)[/quote]
Hello by birthday bass brother! It would seem to me that un-cracked fingertips that are a bit softer would be better than painful split skin. OUCH! Have you tried (as mentioned above) some type of gloves for your outdoor work? Maybe surgical gloves to keep your hands dry during the day if bulky gloves interfere with your work? Also maybe try a bit of cream with a soft pair of cotton gloves at bed time. My girl is a massage therapist and suffers from painful splitting skin on her knuckles. The cotton glove and cream helps her a bunch. Best of luck with it!

[quote name='johnny_frog' post='1019649' date='Nov 11 2010, 07:29 AM']I do... nivea every day, no effect on my callouses.[/quote]
[url="http://www.boots.com/en/Atrixo-Intensive-Handcare-Protection-Cream-200ml_1501/?CAWELAID=334478674&cm_mmc=Shopping%20Engines-_-Google%20Base-_---_-Atrixo%20Intensive%20Handcare%20Protection%20Cream%20200ml"]ATRIXO[/url] for me, good old fashioned stuff, bit expensive but very good, when I remember to use it!

EDIT: I forgot to mention [url="http://www.boots.com/en/Aveeno-Intense-Relief-Hand-Cream_983776/?CAWELAID=358555276&cm_mmc=Shopping%20Engines-_-Google%20Base-_---_-Aveeno%20Intense%20Relief%20Hand%20Cream"]AVEENO[/url] Cream, I get it on prescription but I've seen it advertised a lot lately. It is really good stuff containing Colloidal Oatmeal & has no Lanolin, which is good for some people (like me) who's skin is Lanolin intollerant!

Edited by KiOgon

I've always had problems with dry skin. E45 is one of the better creams I've tried for actually keeping your skin from cracking. Aqueus creme I find irritates my skin. Most of the time I use a moisturiser called Dermol, which you can buy off t'internet. It's similar to E45 but also contains a mild antimicrobal agent so its ideal for use when your skin has cracked - the last thing you want is infected hands, especially as a bassist.

Edited by Wil

[quote name='Craigmartini' post='1019610' date='Nov 11 2010, 02:18 AM']Hello by birthday bass brother! It would seem to me that un-cracked fingertips that are a bit softer would be better than painful split skin. OUCH! Have you tried (as mentioned above) some type of gloves for your outdoor work? Maybe surgical gloves to keep your hands dry during the day if bulky gloves interfere with your work? Also maybe try a bit of cream with a soft pair of cotton gloves at bed time. My girl is a massage therapist and suffers from painful splitting skin on her knuckles. The cotton glove and cream helps her a bunch. Best of luck with it![/quote]
Hi Bro :)
If my hands get too bad I might go for the surgical gloves - it'll look a little odd but sometimes you just have to. Being a postal worker wearing gloves is a little tricky, you tend to pick out more letters than you bargained for but the surgical ones would be fine.

My wife and I used to suffer with split skin on our knuckles all the time when our kids were very young. My cousin pointed out it was all the washing and use of sterilising solution that dried our hands out.

I've started using a product to help prevent my hands from drying out, of course it's not moisturiser because as TNiT say men don't moisturise :lol: oh no indeedy.

[quote]and ideally, we should all wear gloves when going to bed, but I found out that that creates a kind of an interference with my... social ...agenda[/quote]
Name the film. :)

Thanks to everyone for your advice.