Why become a member? ×

Which 3 Bassists Influence Your Bass Lines?

xilddx

Well I think,
1,Pino Palladino but...
Quote" (not his fretless playing)" Unquote,...well why the Fu#k not? say I!!? Pino can do NO wrong for me, and his fretless playing influenced a generation and "reminded" me what Jaco did before, I may have missed out on his playing otherwise( if you were around and playing in '82and'83 youll understand)
2, No apologies, still love that stuff thats Mark King
3, Andy Frasier, Guy Pratt ( for"The Delicate Sound of Thunder"album...Thanks Guy, for Many nights of blissed out listening Bliss!!) oh ...oh .. and Dick Nolan, he taught me how to count...it took him along time and a lot of rewinds!! I cant decide on Just Three.

So, I know thats too many :)

Thwakka Danng, yooodee dooo dommmm.....e.tc.

Edited by witterth

Jean Baudin, he really got me into the style I love playing, and he had a slight had in helping me design pickup/body shape for my bass.

Yves Carbonne, because I love the fact you can hear his heart and soul has gone into his work.

Stu Hamm, because he's the sonofabitch that got me into overhand tapping... the hateful fiend!

(lets pretend its your 4 most influential players! No. 4: Dominc DiPiazza, you can hear his roots, his finger style is incredible and his lines are fast and smooth.)

Three (four) MASSIVE noodlers, but theyre skills, styles, music, basses and backlines have had a big impact in what I play both in music and in instrument. 13 may have been young to get into crazy-ass bass players, but I love the fact I did, 10 years later i still love it!

so screw all you noodle haters! (joke!)

Russ.

I reckon:

1st: Stuart Zender (because he matured/progressed on bass through the Jamiroaquai albums and a learned as i went off of him, genius, where did all those lines come from? excellent live)
2nd: John Deacon (mum and dad were Queen fans, ive been listening to Queen since i can remember, great understated melodic playing)
3rd: Billy Cox (his basslines on the Hendrix tracks are massive, if the big H had lived longer, i cant even begin to imagine the further potential of Hendrix, Billy and Mitch moving into all those 70's grooves.

I dont go for all the "big in favour" players like Pino etc... although i do like Tal Wilkenfeld, she plays amazingly! oops, thats four..

Quote"I dont go for all the "big in favour" players like Pino etc... although i do like Tal Wilkenfeld, she plays amazingly! oops, thats four.. " Unquote

they're not "Big in favour"....well that is Pino isnt! he has had a long, long, time carreer and his C.V. is as long as an Oliver Reed Till recipt from oddbins in 1985.
Not Flavour of the month by any stretch,.. now...Tal Wilkenfield....flavor of the month(talented as she is) will her career last as long?or be as illustrious?
Im guessing,sadly not.
oops she is good though! that Drummer fella did well to spot her. what was he called again? :)

I would have to say
Pino Palladino
Rocco Prestia
Aston 'Family man' Barrett

I would say these 3 guys influence are clear in my playing.....
However.....Sting was a huge reason for me taking up the bass as I was a vocalist beforehand....I know a lot of people hate him as a person but I love his writing and his playing!

[quote name='witterth' post='1020823' date='Nov 11 2010, 11:10 PM']Quote"I dont go for all the "big in favour" players like Pino etc... although i do like Tal Wilkenfeld, she plays amazingly! oops, thats four.. " Unquote

they're not "Big in favour"....well that is Pino isnt! he has had a long, long, time carreer and his C.V. is as long as an Oliver Reed Till recipt from oddbins in 1985.
Not Flavour of the month by any stretch,.. now...Tal Wilkenfield....flavor of the month(talented as she is) will her career last as long?or be as illustrious?
Im guessing,sadly not.
oops she is good though! that Drummer fella did well to spot her. what was he called again? :)[/quote]

Now now, wipe that Pino brown stuff off of your nose... :) and get out of the 80's!

Just Kidding, this thread is all about what influenced our styles, so opinions are going to vary..

You are right though, I should not have put Pino in the "big in favour bucket" when he is big and in favour. As for Tal, I suppose when you get your Flux Capacitor working again, you will be able to inform us all how Quote long?or... as illustrious? Unquote her career will be.

Wheres my dummy gone....?

Zsa Zsa Poltergeist - The Hamsters - I love his driving bass lines and as I teenager I used fake ID to get into pubs to see him play.

Marlowe DK - T'internet - Again not famous but he has such amazing feel and lets face it the lessons are free.

Neil Murray - Whitesnake - So imaginative and slick..................................IMO

[quote name='andytoad' post='1020993' date='Nov 12 2010, 08:52 AM']Now now, wipe that Pino brown stuff off of your nose... :) and get out of the 80's!

Just Kidding, this thread is all about what influenced our styles, so opinions are going to vary..

You are right though, I should not have put Pino in the "big in favour bucket" when he is big and in favour. As for Tal, I suppose when you get your Flux Capacitor working again, you will be able to inform us all how Quote long?or... as illustrious? Unquote her career will be.

Wheres my dummy gone....?[/quote]
I will, as soon as I can Figure out how to reverse the polarity on the nutron flow!!
Dammn it!

Pino brown stuff? were not worthy to... etc...etc

I guess the trite reply would be "Every bass player I've ever heard."

I don't think my bass "hero's" have really influenced my playing that much. I sound nothing like Steve Harris, Mark King or Gene Simmons although I wish I sounded more like Bernard Edwards, Larry Graham or Louis Johnson.

I do have a rather strange, specific influence and that is the bass line to "Everybody Here Wants You" by Jeff Buckley, which I believe was played by the man himself. To my mind it represents the perfect understated, supportive, well phrased bass line. So if I find myself "plodding along" a bit too much I try to emulate the feel of that track and it helps lift my playing somewhat.

For me

1- Will lee - great feel, note choices and always loved his tone
2-Abraham laborial- he,s just god, virtuosity when needed and the most tasteful lines ever
3 - Louis Johnson- Thunderthumbs

Ive ripped em all off - :) but TBH there are too many to mention i love em all

[quote name='witterth' post='1020626' date='Nov 11 2010, 08:07 PM']Well I think,
1,Pino Palladino but...
Quote" (not his fretless playing)" Unquote,...well why the Fu#k not? say I!!? Pino can do NO wrong for me, and his fretless playing influenced a generation and "reminded" me what Jaco did before, I may have missed out on his playing otherwise( if you were around and playing in '82and'83 youll understand)[/quote]

Sorry, I missed this. Like you say, Pino can do no wrong. I like his fretless playing very much but no where near as much as what he did later on in the past 15 years or so with a P-Bass. I wasn't an 80's kid (well, ironically I was being born in 1989) and I don't like the artists he was working with when he did much of his fretless playing... I don't care how good the bass line is, if I don't like the tune then I'm not interested.