Why become a member? ×

Patster1969

Hi all

Discovered this site by chance, so have been reading some of the threads but thought I would finally plunge myself in. Have only been playing for just over 18 months & came in at a standing start, having no musical background to speak of at all.

Sad to say that I was encouraged to take up an instrument as I had enjoyed 'playing' on a musical X-Box game but couldn't see the point of devoting hours of my time playing that when I could be playing for real.
Also by the wife (who was a grade 8 piano & violin student in her teens & still plays a bit now - although not as much as she should) & my brother (who has played guitar & bass for about 20 years).
Plumped for the bass as had always enjoyed listening to John Taylor's basslines as a kid (yep, I am that old :) ). Still appreciate his lines but am more than likely to play rock or metal at home.

Am finding it all a bit hard going at the moment but have been having lessons since I started, which is helping. Thought I would ask for your opinion - is it worth me continuing to learn songs at home by playing along with cds or by finding people to play with, as am trying to find a way to accelerate my playing/learning and making it more interesting?

My weapon of choice is a Squire CV Jazz. Also have an Ibanez passive bass that I bought when I started, which is also not too bad either (no idea of the model but it is probably a 180 or something like that). Playing through a Line 6 Studio 110, which was a 40th birthday pressie from my brother & sis.

That's about it really from me. If you are still reading, any help/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

KR's
Pat

Hi Pat,
I've only been here a couple of days so, for what it's worth coming from me, welcome :)
Playing along with CD's gets you "private time" if you like; a place where you can experiment and get it wrong without feeling too bad. It also gives you a very solid platform to fall back onto if you start drifting.

Playing with others though is totally different, teaches you to listen more carefully and develops a responsiveness to what is going on around you.
It's also far easier to go for a pint together afterwards than it is to drag your CD player down the pub :lol:

So my honest response would be - do both :)

Thanks for that icastle, you are right in that I don't feel such an idiot if I get it wrong at home.
Have been tempted to find some people to play with but worry that my lack of talent will be discovered all too quickly! My wife & teacher are always telling me that I need to give myself some slack, as can't expect to be brilliant straight off, but it's easier said than done.

Don't worry that you've only been on here for a few days, appreciate the time to reply & kind words.

Pat

[quote name='Patster1969' post='1017602' date='Nov 9 2010, 02:37 PM']Thanks for that icastle, you are right in that I don't feel such an idiot if I get it wrong at home.
Have been tempted to find some people to play with but worry that my lack of talent will be discovered all too quickly! My wife & teacher are always telling me that I need to give myself some slack, as can't expect to be brilliant straight off, but it's easier said than done.

Don't worry that you've only been on here for a few days, appreciate the time to reply & kind words.

Pat[/quote]

There's nothing wrong in feeling an idiot - I've spent years practising that skill... :)
It'd be interesting to find out what percentage of basses sold remain in bedrooms, I bet it's kinda high.
As I said, it's a good practice method but has long term limitations.

As for your percieved lack of talent, don't worry about it - there are drummers/guitarists/keyboard players/guatamalan anal flute players and goodness knows what else out there - probably thinking the exact same thing about themselves!
Join them and stop them feeling lonely :)
Be upfront and honest about what you can achieve at the moment and then there'll be nasty surprises for them will there? :lol:

Not sure what sort of music scene you have near where you live but up here in the midlands there are loads of "plug and play" nights that welcome all musicians at all levels - perhaps track one down where you are and go along to a few of those to see what sort of standard you are playing to in comparison with others?
I regularly go to three folk/roots type ones up here and am always happy to spend time helping "newbies" and the same is true with other experienced musicians as well - everyone supports and helps each other out.

Track one down and I bet after a few visits you'll hook up with a couple of other people and be franticly practicing a tune or two to perform yourselves... :D

Edited by icastle

[quote name='Patster1969' post='1017542' date='Nov 9 2010, 02:01 PM']Plumped for the bass as had always enjoyed listening to John Taylor's basslines as a kid (yep, I am that old :lol:[/quote]
Welcome to Basschat Pat.

One of the many great things about Basschat is that we cover a wide range of ages here & there will be people who remember Paul McCartney as a kid & further back than that. :)

You are never too old :)

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1017677' date='Nov 9 2010, 03:27 PM']One of the many great things about Basschat is that we cover a wide range of ages here & there will be people who remember Paul McCartney as a kid & further back than that. :)[/quote]

Paul who?

Nope, you got me there Burrito... :)

Welcome.
I'm pretty new to the site as well and as mentioned before you should try a mix of jamming with friends and listening to CD's.
I started with lessons to get a basic background in music with a guitarist mate when we were at school.
LETS START A BAND thing. - LOL

Did both for a few yrs in mainly rock bands then decided to get into Jazz rock to give me more of a challenge. I practiced at home with albums (vinyl or tapes in those good ol' days) every night for 2-3hrs for approx 2 yrs and from then I was more in demand simply because of the speed and techniques I had picked up.
Even if jazz isn't your thing it does produce some great styles and tricks which can be used in most forms of bass playing.

Once you have mastered the basics and find your niche, you'll improve because you want to and you'll find yourself feeling very proud and satisfied and a lot more in demand.

Don't feel any different from the majority of us cause we all felt the same at the beginning.

Stick with it - its great fun and that's what its all about in the end - enjoying yourself !!!

After 35yrs playing bass I guess I can pass on some experienced comments with feeling a twat.

All very best and good luck.
Cheers
Dave

Hi & welcome

You should get in a band and get out there gigging when you fell you are ready. Practising and learning are great, but with playing bass it's much more fulfilling IMO to be out playing live. Once you start there's no turning back. Whatever you do have fun.

Enjoy the forum.

One slight note of caution re: Guildford music shop - beware the ACM kids - they get taught all the licks and theory but probably don't have the social skills to deal with a more mature newbie! I'd try the new(ish) website Rock 'til You Drop, good chance of finding like minded people there.

Good luck, and welcome.
Mike

• 2 weeks later...