Why become a member? ×

78 p bass needs T.L.C

bigash

I have just got myself a 78P Bass. Which seems to have had quite a hard life.
The pick ups are sitting practically level with the scratchplate and need raised.
However when i raise the pickup screws they lift up but the pickup remains still.
I thought there might be a spring over the screw, behind the pickup to help raise the
pickup but any diagram i have seen has no spring. Can anyone help me resolve this problem.
Also the scratchplate is cracked and needs replacing, where would be the best place to get a replacement.
Oh i forgot to say it's a lefty. Apart from these two problems and a decent set-up, it plays and sounds fantastic.

Thanks for any help Ash.

The pickups probably have black spongy stuff under them (on a copper earthing plate in the pickup recess) and if the pickup has been lowered so much for a long time it may have lost it's springyness.

You may need to completely remove the pickups and replace the foam, although the old stuff may recover it's shape eventually.

Have a look in the Repairs and Technical area of this forum, there's a list of parts suppliers (pinned at the top) who will have replacement Fender scratchplates, although I'd be tempted to try to fix the original if possible if the bass has a roadworn mojo look about it.

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='thebeat' post='1016389' date='Nov 8 2010, 02:24 PM']Most pbasses have foam under the pups to lift them when you adjust....the ones on this bass are probably perished and have lost their elasticity.[/quote]
I took scratchplte off to have a look just the screws there, no foam.
What kind of foam is it? can you but it anywhere.
Ash

Hi Ash

Re the pickup height adjustment, sounds to me like either there is no foam rubber underneath it, or if there is, its lost all its "sponginess". Way forward is try and find some from somewhere.

These guys are very good,
[url="http://www.efoam.co.uk/foamshapes.php?cp_n=adwords&cp_a=CutToSize2&cp_k=Foam%20rubber&gclid=CLSSm8a2kaUCFdD-2AodDnBdOg"]http://www.efoam.co.uk/foamshapes.php?cp_n...CFdD-2AodDnBdOg[/url]

Dunno what thickness you`d need, maybe other posters have that info, or contact Fender directly? When I`ve bought Fender pickups before, it seemed that the foam padding was about 2cm/1inch thick.
Lozz

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='1016390' date='Nov 8 2010, 02:25 PM']The pickups probably have black spongy stuff under them (on a copper earthing plate in the pickup recess) and if the pickup has been lowered so much for a long time it may have lost it's springyness.

You may need to completely remove the pickups and replace the foam, although the old stuff may recover it's shape eventually.

Have a look in the Repairs and Technical area of this forum, there's a list of parts suppliers (pinned at the top) who will have replacement Fender scratchplates, although I'd be tempted to try to fix the original if possible if the bass has a roadworn mojo look about it.[/quote]
Ok cheers, will need to have a proper inspection.
It certainly has a road worn look about it.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1016397' date='Nov 8 2010, 02:31 PM']Hi Ash

Re the pickup height adjustment, sounds to me like either there is no foam rubber underneath it, or if there is, its lost all its "sponginess". Way forward is try and find some from somewhere.

These guys are very good,
[url="http://www.efoam.co.uk/foamshapes.php?cp_n=adwords&cp_a=CutToSize2&cp_k=Foam%20rubber&gclid=CLSSm8a2kaUCFdD-2AodDnBdOg"]http://www.efoam.co.uk/foamshapes.php?cp_n...CFdD-2AodDnBdOg[/url]

Dunno what thickness you`d need, maybe other posters have that info, or contact Fender directly? When I`ve bought Fender pickups before, it seemed that the foam padding was about 2cm/1inch thick.
Lozz[/quote]
Ok cheers will need to have a proper look, make sure no foam there but i never seen any when i had a quick look.
Ash

I've used all kinds of leftover foam over the years, some loses it's springyness really quickly but if you put the right amount in and don't need to adjust the height of your pickups too much it works fine.

Best free stuff is the whitish / clear foam that feels like it has air in it, used as packing on edges of kitchen worktops and sometimes it's layered up to make it thicker.

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='1016412' date='Nov 8 2010, 02:42 PM']I've used all kinds of leftover foam over the years, some loses it's springyness really quickly but if you put the right amount in and don't need to adjust the height of your pickups too much it works fine.

Best free stuff is the whitish / clear foam that feels like it has air in it, used as packing on edges of kitchen worktops and sometimes it's layered up to make it thicker.[/quote]
I think i know the stuff you mean. just cut it to size and how thick would it need to be, 1 inch or so.

[quote name='bigash' post='1016428' date='Nov 8 2010, 02:52 PM']I think i know the stuff you mean. just cut it to size and how thick would it need to be, 1 inch or so.[/quote]

Brand new Fender stuff is about 9mm high but it's probably a bit springier than the air foam, and it'll depend how high you want your pickups. Put a few layers in and see if it works I guess!

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='1016447' date='Nov 8 2010, 03:09 PM']Brand new Fender stuff is about 9mm high but it's probably a bit springier than the air foam, and it'll depend how high you want your pickups. Put a few layers in and see if it works I guess![/quote]
Ok trial and error it is. Thanks for everyones help.
Ash

Some pickup foam compresses over time and just looses it's spring.

For replacement, try some foam from a kitchen sponge. I've done this mod a bunch of times and have wandered the aisles of Tesco squeezing packs to get the right kind of springiness. Sounds mad I know, but it works.

When you get under the pickup it's just a matter of cutting a piece the same length and width as the old piece. There's a few pics on my [url="http://www.facebook.com/setups.glasgow"]Facebook page[/url] which could be useful.