Why become a member? ×

The Official Cheap Trick Thread

Delberthot

OK, so we had about 20 threads about level 42 last month so I thought it may be a good idea to have just the one for the current UK tour of Cheap Trick.

Not long back from seeeing them in Glasgow and thought they were absolutely amazing. They are all on top of their game. Rick Nielson is still as mad as a box of frogs and must throw thousands of plectrums into the audience during the night.

His son Daxx is very very good and possibly the happiest drummer on the planet. He never stopped smiling the entire night.

Tom Petersson played the same Waterstone 12 string the entire night which was very sparkly and changed it for the encore where he brought out a big gold flake one.

You are never aware of the bass during the night until he stops playing and then its so so empty. The 12 string adds so much to the sound.

Robin's voice is as good as ever and he hit every note perfectly.

I can;t remember the last time I was so buzzing after seeing a concert. Easily the best gig of the millenium for me.

I got some fantastic photos and 7 plectrums. I'll post some pics in the morning.

I've just added 89 pictures to my Facebook account rather than try to post all of them on here.

[url="http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=8516&id=100001785726380#!/album.php?aid=8516&id=100001785726380"]http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=8516...100001785726380[/url]

You may have to add me as a friend to view them. If you do then let me know who you are in case I think you're some random person wanting to love me long time.

My all time fave band, ever since 'accidentally' hearing the first album back in 77/78... I was blown away and despite not loving them during certain periods of their career (mid 80's), I would still proudly shout out that I'm an avid Cheap Trick fan.

As to what to listen to; if you like your pop rock a bit rawer, I'd suggest the first album (the 77 self titled album not the 90's one) or for the definitive Cheap Trick try 'In Color' or 'Heaven Tonight'. I'm sure that you could get that pairing of albums on a nice price deal in HMV.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1017998' date='Nov 9 2010, 07:19 PM']As to what to listen to; if you like your pop rock a bit rawer,[/quote]

Yes I do.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1017998' date='Nov 9 2010, 07:19 PM']I'd suggest the first album (the 77 self titled album not the 90's one) or for the definitive Cheap Trick try 'In Color' or 'Heaven Tonight'. I'm sure that you could get that pairing of albums on a nice price deal in HMV.[/quote]

Nice one. I will pick that up at some point.

[quote name='Doctor J' post='1018011' date='Nov 9 2010, 07:23 PM']Yes I do.

Nice one. I will pick that up at some point.[/quote]

Try youtube and look up anything from that album, try and click a link that doesn't look like a live shot... listen to cr4ppy live 'home-recordings' after you've had the chance to listen to the proper studio tracks.

'He's a whore' is my phone ring tone! :)

Side 1

1. "ELO Kiddies"
2. "Daddy Should Have Stayed in High School"
3. "Taxman, Mr. Thief"
4. "Cry, Cry"
5. "Oh, Candy"

Side 2

1. "Hot Love"
2. "Speak Now or Forever Hold Your Peace"
3. "He's a Whore"
4. "Mandocello"
5. "The Ballad of T.V. Violence (I'm Not the Only Boy)"

[quote name='Doctor J' post='1017957' date='Nov 9 2010, 06:52 PM']I've never really gotten into them but, to be honest, I haven't tried too hard. As someone who can't get enough classic rock these days, where should I start with these guys?[/quote]

Live At Budokan is as good as place to start as any.

I saw them at the Wulfrun Hall in Wolverhampton on Monday night. I grinned from start to finish; what a fantastic band! Rick is fabulous with the audience, his gurning and gesturing is pop-rock entertainment at its best.

TP's bass sound was thunderous and he looked so happy on stage all night; I don't think there are many people who wouldn't enjoy a Cheap trick show.

[quote name='Doctor J' post='1017957' date='Nov 9 2010, 06:52 PM']I've never really gotten into them but, to be honest, I haven't tried too hard. As someone who can't get enough classic rock these days, where should I start with these guys?[/quote]

Double CD compilation 'Essential Cheap Trick' has the band pretty much covered;
[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Essential-Cheap-Trick/dp/B0001GAVQG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289411387&sr=1-1"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Essential-Cheap-Tr...1387&sr=1-1[/url]

Well, I don't like Cheap trick much on record. I haven't anything of theirs at all(except for the classic Rock freebie unplayed)
However I've seen them a few times in London. (Astoria, Garage, Shephards Bush etc.) and they are a great live band.
Saw them at Albertt Hall(which was too big for them to be honest) and they were poor.

Will be there at the Bush tomorrow.

[quote name='Doctor J' post='1021933' date='Nov 12 2010, 09:10 PM']I was browsing the music mags today and noticed Classic Rock magazine has an album of theirs for free, what a great coincidence. Picked it up, will have a listen tomorrow.[/quote]

ooh, Rick Neilson mentioned that. thought it was next months. I think its their newest one. I'll need to get it.

• 11 months later...

[quote name='cetera' timestamp='1289220981' post='1016279']
I'll be at Shepherds Bush Empire on Friday!
[/quote]

Nooooo ... missed it ! I was walking into Sheperd's Bush tube about the time I should have been walking into the Empire. I need to find a better source of gig info, obviously.

Favourite track is "I want you to want me". That's off live at the Budokan I think ... I'm pretty sure the 45 I have is live anyway.

BTW anyone seen this ? I like it almost as much as the original (for very different reasons).

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPNhnIwT920[/media]

Andy