Why become a member? ×

Theory versus Groove

Pete Academy

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='1023768' date='Nov 14 2010, 07:05 PM']Interesting post... but I'm staying out of it!

Anyway, those guys giving reading and writing a go, I thought I would share this link with you - I find it very useful and its certainly better than spending a load of money on blank books or getting a pen and ruler out!

[url="http://www.blanksheetmusic.net/"]http://www.blanksheetmusic.net/[/url]

Enjoy![/quote]
We are already on that Russ! Handy site though.

Band practice tonight so I might jot a few things down as we go but its not the same as sitting down for an hour without distractions. lojo I beleive the correct term for a converted garage to music room is "The bunker" Ask EBS_freak about his :) Very handy unless like me you have a love of dismanteling classic cars and ocassionally putting them back together again!

this is great for when you've no bass in hand, dots appear and you have to click the letter of note, better than pac man :)

[url="http://www.studybass.com/tools/bass-clef-notes/"]http://www.studybass.com/tools/bass-clef-notes/[/url]

I just got bass clef master, so the rankings are too easy to attain, but its a really helpful tool

Edited by lojo

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1026689' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:43 AM']I got Bass Master (av. 1.7) - says more about my mouse control than it does my reading :)[/quote]
Use yer computer keyboard! Still a bit slower than hitting the note on a bass or a piano, but I got an average of 0.81s and a title of Bass Clef Great Wizard.

:) <--- (if only that was a wizard's hat)

[quote name='Wil' post='1026701' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:58 AM']Bass clef apprentice. Suprised I got them all right, but very slow and my brain hurts now.[/quote]
Me too, 3.69.

Good exercise but Jake's right about the need for recognising the notes on the bass too. It's very good for stave familiarity though, I'm crap at that at the moment! Getting there though :)

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1026693' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:52 AM']Use yer computer keyboard! Still a bit slower than hitting the note on a bass or a piano, but I got an average of 0.81s and a title of Bass Clef Great Wizard.

:) <--- (if only that was a wizard's hat)[/quote]

Good advice! Av. 1.34 = bass clef wizard!!! :)

i think on the whole if im honest, theory is the lord...but one dont come without tother... i know as an audience member what i would prefer to see... a few notes being played with groove, even if its two throughout...

above all though is some flare... groove on its own is not all the time enough...the end of the day its an expression of you and the way you like to play...groove with flair is what really shows your personality....

i know my theory (to an extent) not like some of the guys on here, but groove and flair is what entertains me.... you can make one note sound good if you got it in you...

i got to be honest i wish i knew theory like Jakes Bass and Bilbo..(i believe you guys know your sh*t ? as well as others) but ive always taught my self and its difficult when your not in a geographical position to get a good bass teacher, and you dont have someone to ask when some theory gets confusing....

listening alot has helped me and i can solo because of years of playing in the dark...i get lost though sometimes,(yes when i cant find the light switch) and wouldnt want to be let loose live, if i hadnt worked it out..thats where i think theory would help me and make me feel more confident doing something off the cuff...

like i said in my humble opinion, a great bassist has all of these....but groove and flair i wanna watch....

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1028363' date='Nov 18 2010, 08:15 PM']i think on the whole if im honest, theory is the lord...but one dont come without tother... i know as an audience member what i would prefer to see... a few notes being played with groove, even if its two throughout...

above all though is some flare... groove on its own is not all the time enough...the end of the day its an expression of you and the way you like to play...groove with flair is what really shows your personality....

i know my theory (to an extent) not like some of the guys on here, but groove and flair is what entertains me.... you can make one note sound good if you got it in you...

i got to be honest i wish i knew theory like Jakes Bass and Bilbo..(i believe you guys know your sh*t ? as well as others) but ive always taught my self and its difficult when your not in a geographical position to get a good bass teacher, and you dont have someone to ask when some theory gets confusing....

listening alot has helped me and i can solo because of years of playing in the dark...i get lost though sometimes,9yes when i cant find the light switch) and wouldnt want to be let loose live, if i hadnt worked it out..thats where i think theory would help me and make me feel more confident doing something off the cuff...

like i said in my humble opinion, a great bassist has all of these....but groove and flair i wanna watch....[/quote]

That was my original take on this thread. :)

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1028376' date='Nov 18 2010, 08:27 PM']That was my original take on this thread. :)[/quote]
Yes, it was a really good post from the Bub5. And I agree. It comes from a balanced mind that is not interested in the argument, only the truth.

I'm really enjoying learning the dots and theory which some of the good'uns on this thread kicked me into doing. I have found a new enjoyment in my playing which I'd not really thought possible. I've even been transcribing some simple Scott Thunes bass lines and it's great!

Mind you, the cavern has opened and I am overawed by how much sh*t here is to learn! Recognising notes and keys is my first step.

Edited by silddx

The bottom line is, if you enjoy where you are and what you play...thats whats great... one day i will further my ability to play...IMHO playing bass or any instrument is a journey that is a personal thing... and as long as you entertain which im sure every one on BC does.. your left with what you want to achieve.... its you and them....hopefully we are fulfilling both..

love this Sllddx....... It comes from a balanced mind that is not interested in the argument, only the truth.

ive always thought balance comes in many different forms of the life we live.. but thats another story..

Edited by bubinga5

I think what I've been trying to say all along is that the two are inseparable. When playing any single thing on the bass you are playing something that can be theoretically determined. The broad difference between people on here is that some are conscious of the theory behind what they are playing and some aren't. It matters not in which camp one is, in result terms, because if you're a good player you're a good player.
I try to be a good bass player (that's a relative statement because there are much better players than me out there) and I've learned what I'm doing along the way. All that means is I can do all the things I can do in any key, or from a page, or learned almost instantly by ear. I have enhanced my skill set as much as I've been able... the result... other human beings want to hear it. Quite a simple equation really. :)

BTW
Within that skill set I have strengths and weaknesses, so there is always work to do

Edited by jakesbass

So to get really technical on your asses... It's not possible to play without theory (it's just you don't necessarily know the theory) so the notion of 'best' (I repeat) is absurd.
Put another way, theory does not cease to exist whilst the uninformed are playing, it's like some sort of philosophical puzzle... :)

If someone in the audience observes and correctly, theoretically describes to another musician what you have done (I would be able to do that) then you are, whether you know it or not employing tasks that can be defined theoretically... get it...?
I'm just rambling for fun now... feel free to come and switch me off...

Edited by jakesbass

I find this idea of 'natural versus trained' really interesting, not just in music but all arts.

In a practical sense I agree with Jakesbass, that the idea of one being better than the other is kind of a red herring. On a broader cultural level, what intrigues me is why do we think of natural and trained as being in opposition to each other? Don't know if I have an answer, just a thought that may have been covered already.

[quote name='Earbrass' post='1029109' date='Nov 19 2010, 11:57 AM']A bit of light exercise in sight-reading:

[url="http://www.jeffreythompson.org/blog/tag/faeries-aire-and-death-waltz/"]www.jeffreythompson.org/blog/tag/faeries-aire-and-death-waltz/ [/url][/quote]

A waltz? But it's in common time!

All god points and I think Bubinga 5 nailed it - but just to give a little perspective from two different angles while I can be bothered:

I went to see the saxophonist Charles Lloyd on Wednesday this week, he's one of the all time greats and still plying up a storm at 72 years old, the band were incredible and while they were playing very advanced jazz none of the power of the music would have been felt, or present, without a hell of a lot of emotion that was going into it - in other words, or in terms of this thread - 'groove' or 'feel'. Jazz is played in general with one part of your brain on the pure creative free flowing side and the other has to (albeit subconciously) direct where your fingers are physically going - the two are inseperable at the highest level - there is no either or - they just 'are'. Having one more than the other can unbalance your playing - but having original ideas over pure knowledge is in my opinion as valid, and in fact, dare I say it, better. But not being able to convey these ideas clearly will stifle that original thought - hence the old maxim '1% inspiration and 99% perspiration' is the absolute truth of trying to do ANYTHING well.

I had a bass lesson today - it was fantastic - but instead of talking about musical rules we talked about concepts, ideas that require technical ability to execute them but are NOT the purpose of using them - i.e. they are not about playing fast or flash - they are just ideas. It's fine to have ideas and it's important to tell a story through your music - how you do that is up to you and there are literally no rules - as long as it feels good and sounds good what goes on behind the scenes to get that stuff out, is your business, so take care of it in the way that suits you and your approach.

:)

[quote name='jakesbass' post='1028965' date='Nov 19 2010, 10:30 AM']So to get really technical on your asses... It's not possible to play without theory (it's just you don't necessarily know the theory) so the notion of 'best' (I repeat) is absurd.
Put another way, theory does not cease to exist whilst the uninformed are playing, it's like some sort of philosophical puzzle... :)

If someone in the audience observes and correctly, theoretically describes to another musician what you have done (I would be able to do that) then you are, whether you know it or not employing tasks that can be defined theoretically... get it...?
I'm just rambling for fun now... feel free to come and switch me off...[/quote]Jake, i think the key of what your saying is .....some are not aware of what theory there playing....... i could be wrong but i would hazard a guess that most of the time your not consious of the theory your playing when your in the throws of a good bass line...it comes from muscle memory, and your ear.... your emotion dosnt come from the theory you have learned..thats a basis from where your emotional expressions can spring from...

i still wish i had your knowledge mind..

Edited by bubinga5