Why become a member? ×

Can you use a G**tar Compressor pedal with a bass

markdavid

[quote name='markdavid' post='115385' date='Jan 7 2008, 01:02 PM']Can you use a G**tar Compressor pedal with a bass? (...)[/quote]

You can't - the [i]Bass Police[/i] could arrest you. :)

--

It depends. Some sound good, some don't. It depends. In principle they are the same but some guitar pedals have a smaller capacitor in the input/output stages to limit the frequency response. This compromises the response with bass.

Edited by Silent Fly

Some are good, others not! I really like my ibanez CP5, but it does take away a little low end. I like this feature, but you may not. They do a BP5 which is a good indicator that the CP5 is not appropriate for bass, but....... like anything, it's how it sounds to your ears.

[quote name='Silent Fly' post='115415' date='Jan 7 2008, 01:42 PM']You can't - the [i]Bass Police[/i] could arrest you. :)

--

It depends. Some sound good, some don't. It depends. In principle they are the same but some guitar pedals have a smaller capacitor in the input/output stages to limit the frequency response. This compromises the response with bass.[/quote]

Any idea of the values? i think a lot of modded pedal are just swaping the input/ output caps.

[quote name='steve-norris' post='115796' date='Jan 7 2008, 09:37 PM']Any idea of the values? i think a lot of modded pedal are just swaping the input/ output caps.[/quote]

I changed the in/out caps of my MXR Phase 90 clone from 0.01uF to 0.1uF (in) and from 0.05uF to 0.47uF (out). I noticed that the response at the low frequencies improved quite dramatically.

I don't think there is a fixed rule. I just tried with some spare caps I had and it worked great. In some other cases it might be necessary to change the clipping diodes or some resistors in order to make the pedal more bass-friendly.

I've just done monte allum's opto mod on the boss cs3. 17 components replaced and it's transformed :huh:

Much more transarency, much less noise, real squish, bass comes through (after changing about 5-6 components there was masses of bass) and the attack knob finally does something ;) . Proper review to follow shortly, with sound clips. For less £50 all in I'm extatic (pedal was bought off ebay).

I went for the opto plus kit but the plus stage (replacing one of the chips) is going to have to wait until I've got a better pencil tip soldering iron. It's supposed to be even more transparent and quiet, but even as is I'm :) :huh: ;) .